London Banter

-   -   Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12241-heathrow-western-gwml-link-under.html)

Roland Perry September 12th 11 03:36 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 16:11:20 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Bruce remarked:

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

It really can't have been *that* attractive if you came back.

I was there for a week staying with friends. Plenty of time to find out
what it's all about from an immigrant's point of view. I then spent a
week at a conference with colleagues, many of whom live there, so I'd
heard a lot about it before.

Graeme Wall September 12th 11 04:18 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On 12/09/2011 14:42, d wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:23:46 +0100
Graeme wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world.

Cultureless? I'm sure the Maoris would object to that description.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Mark Goodge September 12th 11 04:51 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:42:29 +0000 (UTC), d put
finger to keyboard and typed:

Graeme Wall wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Separation anxiety is common, of course. But not all of us suffer from it.

Mark
--
Blog:
http://mark.goodge.co.uk

Bruce[_2_] September 12th 11 05:47 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:11:20 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Bruce remarked:

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

It really can't have been *that* attractive if you came back.

I was there for a week staying with friends. Plenty of time to find out
what it's all about from an immigrant's point of view. I then spent a
week at a conference with colleagues, many of whom live there, so I'd
heard a lot about it before.

Visiting somewhere for a week doesn't give you the faintest idea of
the reality of living there, except I suppose if you are Roland Perry,
who seems to form most of his "opinions" on a whim.

Bruce[_2_] September 12th 11 05:49 PM

Graeme Wall wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Separation anxiety is common, of course. But not all of us suffer from it.

In my experience, separation anxiety can dramatically be reduced by
the use of (free) video calling on Skype.

Roland Perry September 12th 11 06:28 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 18:47:24 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Bruce remarked:
Visiting somewhere for a week doesn't give you the faintest idea of
the reality of living there, except I suppose if you are Roland Perry,
who seems to form most of his "opinions" on a whim.

Wrong again old chap. It might not give you the faintest idea, but
please don't assume I'm as bad at it as you apparently are.

In the mean time, why not direct your ire those others who claim to know
what it's like without ever having been there?

Tom Anderson September 12th 11 08:08 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mark Goodge wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:52:23 +0000 (UTC), d put
finger to keyboard and typed:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:44:50 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, but New Zealand is some 1400 miles further east, so the optimum
stopover point is different. In particular, the route via the US is
shorter for New Zealand, whereas an Asian stopover is shorter for Oz.
But the US visa for transit requirement tips the balance towards HK
rather than LA.

Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't
they want to visit them?

They should split the difference and meet in the Falklands. A home away
from homes!

tom

--
wicked wicked jungle is massive i said wicked wicked jungle is massive
well big up cos this is the incredible genral -- fabien, sniffunsnuffun

Graeme Wall September 12th 11 08:57 PM

"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, but New Zealand is some 1400 miles further east, so the optimum
stopover point is different. In particular, the route via the US is
shorter for New Zealand, whereas an Asian stopover is shorter for Oz.
But the US visa for transit requirement tips the balance towards HK
rather than LA.

Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't
they want to visit them?

They should split the difference and meet in the Falklands. A home away
from homes!

ITYM Patagonia, the Falkland islanders are mainly Scots descent.

Arthur Figgis September 12th 11 09:13 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On 12/09/2011 15:27, d wrote:

No. Experience what? What can I see there that I can't see in europe apart
from the southern cross?

Various types of bird?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Nobody September 13th 11 12:42 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

Graeme wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world.

Cultureless? I'm sure the Maoris would object to that description.

Bloody hell! Pakeha New Zealanders would disagree as well...

boltar2003 seems to be exercisng invective left over from his
unsated homophobic diatribe a few weeks back.