London Banter

-   -   Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12241-heathrow-western-gwml-link-under.html)

1506[_2_] September 7th 11 09:03 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sep 6, 10:46*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

The Sunday Times newspaper reported Mr Hammond was considering building a
new railway station at Heathrow that would see up to four shuttle services
per hour from Reading.

The most sensible thing would be to use the HEx station at T5. This would
enable
4 tph Paddington - T123 - T4 - Staines (HEx) using a bit of the Airtrack
plans.
4 tph Crossrail - T123 - T4
4 tph Crossrail - T123 - T5 - Reading.
I would run the Reading trains on the Relief Lines, calling at Slough and
Maidenhead. Paths should be available, as Crossrail will only run 4 or 6 tph
down the GWML west of Hayes and Harlington.

Apart from saving the cost of another Heathrow station, this would enable
trains from Reading to serve T123 as well as T5, and via a cross-platform
change at T123 to reach T4.

Extending HEx to Staines would give most of the advantages of Airtrack (by
connection at Staines) without the disadvantage of additional trains over
congested level crossings.

That would certainly be the case. Since there is a track bed to
Staines, it would seem the logical place to end Heathrow Connect.
Such would give a very good connection to a large swathe of SWT
territory.

It is a pity no one service can reach all Heathrow Terminals.
Heathrow really needs an internal transit system, like Atlanta
Hartsfield-Jackson.

Graeme Wall September 7th 11 10:05 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On 07/09/2011 10:03, 1506 wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:46 am, "Peter wrote:
"Mizter wrote

[...]

It has one but not obviously.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Roland Perry September 9th 11 12:32 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, at
02:03:04 on Wed, 7 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
It is a pity no one service can reach all Heathrow Terminals.
Heathrow really needs an internal transit system, like Atlanta
Hartsfield-Jackson.

I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need. Although I agree that elsewhere (I can think of Chicago, DFW,
Newark as well as ATL in USA, then CDG and Frankfurt in Europe) they
have Gatwick style people mover.

At Brisbane there's a proper suburban train which calls at both
terminals, but they charge $5 for it[1]. That train also has the
interesting property that the ticket price includes free "missed flight"
insurance if caused by a railway delay.

[1] There's also a bus, but that's $5 too. There doesn't seem to be any
way to get a free transfer, and it's too far to walk easily.

Neil Williams September 9th 11 12:53 PM

On Sep 9, 2:32*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Neil

Roland Perry September 9th 11 01:21 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, at
05:53:02 on Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Neil Williams
remarked:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA.
I'd like to say "unknown" but they do exist, I saw one at Newark last
week connecting Terminals A[1]&C (both of which have Continental
flights).

If you wanted to transfer via Terminal B, or the other two terminal A
satellites, you'd have to go landside and re-enter security.

[1] One of three satellites.

tim.... September 9th 11 06:33 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
05:53:02 on Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Neil Williams remarked:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA. I'd
like to say "unknown" but they do exist, I saw one at Newark last week
connecting Terminals A[1]&C (both of which have Continental flights).

I would have thought that the US policy of making everybody clear
immigration/customs at first entry point/final exit point restricts the
demand for air side transfers somewhat.

tim

Roland Perry September 9th 11 06:45 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 19:33:48 on Fri, 9 Sep
2011, tim.... remarked:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA. I'd
like to say "unknown" but they do exist, I saw one at Newark last week
connecting Terminals A[1]&C (both of which have Continental flights).

I would have thought that the US policy of making everybody clear
immigration/customs at first entry point/final exit point restricts the
demand for air side transfers somewhat.

Not when the vast majority of transfers are domestic-domestic. Plus a
few domestic-international (I didn't clear security when transiting back
to UK through Newark, I stayed airside and the security I did earlier at
the regional feeder airport was sufficient).

It's only the international-domestic which have that issue.

1506[_2_] September 10th 11 07:09 AM

On Sep 9, 10:05*pm, Jeremy Double wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

At most UK airports the majority of passengers are making international
journeys.

Flying Los Angeles to Edinburgh, I have often cleared Immigration in
London, but Customs at Edinburgh. Very helpful, it saves lugging
cases, et al, around Heathrow.

So people in this country tend to forget that, even at a major
international airport like Newark, the vast majority of passengers passing
through a US airport are making domestic journeys. *In the US, airports
serve more-or-less the same role as inter-city railway stations in this
country.

Very much the case at airports like Louisville, KY, or Omaha, NE.

Flying from London to Los Angeles, if the plane touches down at JFK,
one has to go thru everything in New York, Immigration, baggage
pickup, customs check, and agricultural check.

And I, too, have used the airside bus at Newark to transfer from an
internal to an international flight, so it can't be very uncommon. *You
wouldn't want to brave the security queues at Newark if you were trying to
make a connection onto a transatlantic flight...

tim.... September 10th 11 12:21 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you have to
pass through US immigration even though you have no intention of ever
entering the country.

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has to apply
for a full visa just to transit the airport.

[1] Which used to be a through service offered by NZ, don't know if it still
is

tim

1506[_2_] September 10th 11 12:33 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I have exactly that issue a few days from now. Travelling to Panama I
have to pass thru US immigration even though I am only "in transit".

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has to apply
for a full visa just to transit the airport.

[1] Which used to be a through service offered by NZ, don't know if it still
is

Ah, Air New Zealand, my favorite airline on which to cross the
Atlantic. They have an old fashioned service ethic

Roland Perry September 10th 11 01:04 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 13:21:07 on Sat, 10 Sep
2011, tim.... remarked:
Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you have to
pass through US immigration even though you have no intention of ever
entering the country.

Although the lack of airside transit means you are in fact entering the
country, however briefly.

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has to apply
for a full visa just to transit the airport.

Indeed. And the Visa Waiver costs money now (via the ESTA scheme). It's
just one more variable to take into account when planning the route.

Roland Perry September 10th 11 01:12 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, at
05:33:24 on Sat, 10 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:
Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you have to
pass through US immigration even though you have no intention of ever
entering the country.

I have exactly that issue a few days from now. Travelling to Panama I
have to pass thru US immigration even though I am only "in transit".

Pre 9/11 anyway, it's all about passenger segregation, and whether the
airports have a way to keep transit passengers "international airside"
as well as simply "security checked airside".

This becomes impossible if (as at many USA airports) you have flights
departing to both domestic and international destinations at adjacent
gates.

The economy of scale of having "international gates" doesn't work so
well when their model is to cluster gates by airline rather than type of
destination.

Roland Perry September 10th 11 01:13 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 13:15:51 on Sat, 10 Sep
2011, tim.... remarked...

[...]

.... nothing :)

Recliner[_2_] September 11th 11 10:28 AM

"tim." wrote in message

Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you
have to pass through US immigration even though you have no intention
of ever entering the country.

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has to
apply for a full visa just to transit the airport.

.... which may be why Air New Zealand now also offers a route via Hong
Kong. There, British citizens don't need a visa at all if staying for
less than 3 months.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] September 11th 11 10:29 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need.

I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA.
I'd like to say "unknown" but they do exist,

Completely OT, but I got to use the airside bus at Stansted last week.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] September 11th 11 10:36 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message
, 1506
wrote:
Flying from London to Los Angeles, if the plane touches down at JFK,
one has to go thru everything in New York, Immigration, baggage
pickup, customs check, and agricultural check.

That depends.

BA certainly used to have "set-down only" stops. So the flight from
London to Pittsburgh (IIRC) had a set-down stop at Washington Dulles.
Those passengers to Pittsburgh just stayed on the plane while those to
Washington got off, after which the plane continued on its journey.

I had an "interesting" experience when Dulles was fogged in. Normally
about 90% of the passengers got off in Washington. Pittsburgh had one
short set of rollers (not even a belt) for the luggage and two
immigration officers. For a full 747.

Roland Perry September 11th 11 11:00 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 11:28:01 on
Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Recliner remarked:
Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you
have to pass through US immigration even though you have no intention
of ever entering the country.

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has to
apply for a full visa just to transit the airport.

... which may be why Air New Zealand now also offers a route via Hong
Kong. There, British citizens don't need a visa at all if staying for
less than 3 months.

Most people I know flying to Australia do it via Singapore.

Recliner[_2_] September 11th 11 11:44 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 11:28:01 on
Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Recliner remarked:
Even more annoyingly if one's travelling LHR to AKL via LAX [1] you
have to pass through US immigration even though you have no
intention of ever entering the country.

This means that someone who doesn't qualify for the visa waver has
to apply for a full visa just to transit the airport.

... which may be why Air New Zealand now also offers a route via Hong
Kong. There, British citizens don't need a visa at all if staying for
less than 3 months.

Most people I know flying to Australia do it via Singapore.

Yes, but New Zealand is some 1400 miles further east, so the optimum
stopover point is different. In particular, the route via the US is
shorter for New Zealand, whereas an Asian stopover is shorter for Oz.
But the US visa for transit requirement tips the balance towards HK
rather than LA.

[email protected] September 11th 11 11:52 AM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:44:50 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, but New Zealand is some 1400 miles further east, so the optimum
stopover point is different. In particular, the route via the US is
shorter for New Zealand, whereas an Asian stopover is shorter for Oz.
But the US visa for transit requirement tips the balance towards HK
rather than LA.

Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

B2003

Mark Goodge September 11th 11 01:21 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:52:23 +0000 (UTC), d put
finger to keyboard and typed:

"Recliner" wrote:
Yes, but New Zealand is some 1400 miles further east, so the optimum
stopover point is different. In particular, the route via the US is
shorter for New Zealand, whereas an Asian stopover is shorter for Oz.
But the US visa for transit requirement tips the balance towards HK
rather than LA.

Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't they
want to visit them?

Mark
--
Blog:
http://mark.goodge.co.uk

Roland Perry September 11th 11 01:32 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message e.net, at
14:21:13 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mark Goodge
remarked:
I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't they
want to visit them?

And swap pictures of sheep :) Baa!

[email protected] September 11th 11 05:12 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:21:13 +0100
Mark Goodge wrote:
Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't they
want to visit them?

If they loved them that much they wouldn't have relocated to the other side
of the planet.

B2003

Roland Perry September 11th 11 07:17 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 11:36:29 on Sun, 11
Sep 2011, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
BA certainly used to have "set-down only" stops. So the flight from
London to Pittsburgh (IIRC) had a set-down stop at Washington Dulles.
Those passengers to Pittsburgh just stayed on the plane while those to
Washington got off, after which the plane continued on its journey.

20 years ago I recall catching a plane that flew Gatwick-Houston-Dallas,
probably a route BA inherited from BCal. We didn't have to get off at
Houston, but I suspect no-one got on either (trade barriers) so we could
be treated as 100% international arrivals in Dallas.

Neil Williams September 11th 11 09:42 PM

On Sep 11, 11:29*am, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

Completely OT, but I got to use the airside bus at Stansted last week.

Dulles used to have those intriguing "mobile lounge" things, did it
not?

Neil

Andy Breen September 12th 11 07:19 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:42:16 -0700, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:29Â*am, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

Completely OT, but I got to use the airside bus at Stansted last week.

Dulles used to have those intriguing "mobile lounge" things, did it not?

Great fun, those things. Very much relics of a future-that-never-was.

--
Speaking for myself, and no-one but myself

TimB[_2_] September 12th 11 12:23 PM

Mark Goodge wrote:
Anyone who spends 24 hours in an aircraft to go to a land full of sheep
and hills must be ****ing insane.

I'm sure there are New Zealanders with family in Wales. Why shouldn't they
want to visit them?

If they loved them that much they wouldn't have relocated to the other side
of the planet.

B2003

Didn't Boltar use to be vaguely sane? What happened?
Tim

[email protected] September 12th 11 12:56 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 05:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
TimB wrote:
If they loved them that much they wouldn't have relocated to the other si=

de
of the planet.

B2003

Didn't Boltar use to be vaguely sane? What happened?

Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

B2003

Graeme Wall September 12th 11 01:23 PM

wrote:
If they loved them that much they wouldn't have relocated to the other si=

de
of the planet.

B2003

Didn't Boltar use to be vaguely sane? What happened?

Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

[email protected] September 12th 11 01:42 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:23:46 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

B2003

Basil Jet[_2_] September 12th 11 01:43 PM

wrote:
If they loved them that much they wouldn't have relocated to the
other si=
de
of the planet.

B2003

Didn't Boltar use to be vaguely sane? What happened?

Oh come on, its true. If someone really loves their family they don't
move
to the other side of the world to live. For them family ties would be a
stronger bond than moving somewhere new for the sake of it.

You are a simple soul aren't you.

That would explain why his name makes everyone mutter "Aah, soul".

Roland Perry September 12th 11 01:49 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 13:42:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, d remarked:
My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford
somewhere decent to live, and the culture is still very "British
Colonial" if you emigrate to the right places.

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

Recliner[_2_] September 12th 11 02:04 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 11:36:29 on Sun,
11 Sep 2011, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
BA certainly used to have "set-down only" stops. So the flight from
London to Pittsburgh (IIRC) had a set-down stop at Washington Dulles.
Those passengers to Pittsburgh just stayed on the plane while those
to Washington got off, after which the plane continued on its
journey.

20 years ago I recall catching a plane that flew
Gatwick-Houston-Dallas, probably a route BA inherited from BCal. We
didn't have to get off at Houston, but I suspect no-one got on either
(trade barriers) so we could be treated as 100% international
arrivals in Dallas.

Exactly -- if the onward flight can pick up pax, then everyone on the
arriving flight has to get off and go through security before proceeding
further. As BA flights aren't allowed to pick up internal US pax, they
have to be set-down only at the first US port. I think Qantas has a
similar arrangement with the LAX-JFK extension of its flight from
Sydney.

Years ago, I used to have fly regularly to Detroit, and the BA flights
used to go via Montreal for a while. BA were allowed to pick up pax for
the Montreal-Detroit leg, though there seemed to be few takers. As that
was an international leg, the pax from London stayed on-board during the
Montreal stop, and didn't have to deal with Canadian customs and
immigration.

Recliner[_2_] September 12th 11 02:08 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil
that need.
I think they do reasonably well, the only downside being the lower
frequency.

Quite a few people use the airside buses, which are rarer in the USA.
I'd like to say "unknown" but they do exist,

Completely OT, but I got to use the airside bus at Stansted last week.

Even more oddly, I once got to use the LHR airside inter-terminal bus
when travelling *from* Heathrow (rather than when in transit). I was
going to Lyon (on BA) and just assumed the flight left from T4, like the
Paris flights. Having got through security, I was puzzled to see no sign
of the flight on the departure boards and then discovered it actually
left from T1. They allowed me to take the airside bus, through the
northern tunnel, to T1. My main recollection of that trip is the number
of times I had to clear security before eventually boarding the flight.

Roland Perry September 12th 11 02:21 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 15:08:42 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Recliner remarked:

I once got to use the LHR airside inter-terminal bus
when travelling *from* Heathrow (rather than when in transit). I was
going to Lyon (on BA) and just assumed the flight left from T4, like the
Paris flights.

When I flew Lyon-LHR on BA about four years ago it arrived at T4.

Having got through security, I was puzzled to see no sign
of the flight on the departure boards and then discovered it actually
left from T1.

One of the reasons for security examining boarding cards ought to be to
stop that kind of mistake happening.

[email protected] September 12th 11 02:27 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:49:54 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:42:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, d remarked:
My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Thats fine. But that "better life" (ie big house and flash car) obviously
trumps any feelings they have for the rest of their family. A word to describe
it would be "shallow".

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford

Probably because most of the young locals have buggered off to more interesting
places.

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

No. Experience what? What can I see there that I can't see in europe apart
from the southern cross?

B2003

Recliner[_2_] September 12th 11 02:31 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 15:08:42 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Recliner remarked:

I once got to use the LHR airside inter-terminal bus
when travelling *from* Heathrow (rather than when in transit). I was
going to Lyon (on BA) and just assumed the flight left from T4, like
the Paris flights.

When I flew Lyon-LHR on BA about four years ago it arrived at T4.

Having got through security, I was puzzled to see no sign
of the flight on the departure boards and then discovered it actually
left from T1.

One of the reasons for security examining boarding cards ought to be
to stop that kind of mistake happening.

Indeed so. I think the automated check in T5 would prevent the problem,
but human inspections are obviously fallible. They were probably more
interested in checking that I had a Club class ticket with the right
date as I entered the Fast track line, than they were checking that I
was at the right terminal.

Bruce[_2_] September 12th 11 03:11 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:42:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, d remarked:
My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford
somewhere decent to live, and the culture is still very "British
Colonial" if you emigrate to the right places.

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

It really can't have been *that* attractive if you came back.

What is the point of trying to sell an idea that you yourself have so
obviously rejected?

Bruce[_2_] September 12th 11 03:12 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:42:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011,
d remarked:
My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Thats fine. But that "better life" (ie big house and flash car) obviously
trumps any feelings they have for the rest of their family. A word to describe
it would be "shallow".

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford

Probably because most of the young locals have buggered off to more interesting
places.

It is of course true of both Australia and New Zealand that they have
to encourage immigration because so many of their young people taste
life elsewhere in the world, prefer it and never return.

Roland Perry September 12th 11 03:34 PM

Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

In message , at 14:27:57 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, d remarked:
My family means a lot more to me than a job and a naff condo in a cultureless
country on the other side of the world. If thats being "simple" then thats
fine by me.

Many of the people who emigrate take their immediate family with them,
and do it because of a promise of a "better life".

Thats fine. But that "better life" (ie big house and flash car) obviously
trumps any feelings they have for the rest of their family. A word to describe
it would be "shallow".

I don't think you are in any position to make that kind of judgement.
The "rest of their family" might be one second cousin!

Housing is half the price of the UK, so some will then be able to afford

Probably because most of the young locals have buggered off to more interesting
places.

Not at all. The place I went to is what the young locals regard as the
"happening place".

Have you actually been there and experienced it at first hand (I did).

No. Experience what? What can I see there that I can't see in europe apart
from the southern cross?

What it's like to live there, of course.