London Banter

-   -   Earl's Court escalators (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12257-earls-court-escalators.html)

[email protected] September 15th 11 01:54 PM

Earl's Court escalators

I see that Piccadilly trains aren't stopping from yesterday until next
Wednesday (inclusive) due to emergency escalator maintenance.

Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange elsewhere but
stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and stairs?

On my Wimbledon-Upminster train people were told to interchange at South
Kensington, not the quickest if going West from Earls Court.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 15th 11 02:06 PM

Earl's Court escalators

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:54:28 -0500
wrote:
I see that Piccadilly trains aren't stopping from yesterday until next
Wednesday (inclusive) due to emergency escalator maintenance.

Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange elsewhere but
stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and stairs?

On my Wimbledon-Upminster train people were told to interchange at South
Kensington, not the quickest if going West from Earls Court.

Theres also no access to the piccadilly at holborn in the mornings due them
repairing one of the escalators AGAIN. They were all completely rebuilt only
3 years ago, WTF is going on?

B2003

Mizter T September 15th 11 02:39 PM

Earl's Court escalators

wrote:
[snip]
Theres also no access to the piccadilly at holborn in the mornings due
them
repairing one of the escalators AGAIN. They were all completely rebuilt
only
3 years ago, WTF is going on?

Is that ongoing?

This BBC London travel tweet is from Sun 11 Sept - but a quick search hasn't
found mention of it since:
http://twitter.com/#!/BBCTravelAlert...03719305232385

No mention of Holborn on the 'stations' tab on the TfL live travel news
page:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel....html#stations

[email protected] September 15th 11 02:50 PM

Earl's Court escalators

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:39:52 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
wrote:
[snip]
Theres also no access to the piccadilly at holborn in the mornings due
them
repairing one of the escalators AGAIN. They were all completely rebuilt
only
3 years ago, WTF is going on?

Is that ongoing?

It was there this morning. Perhaps its new, its the first time I've got off
at holborn for a few weeks. You could come off the piccadilly but not get on
to it.

B2003

Neil Williams September 15th 11 05:17 PM

Earl's Court escalators

wrote:
Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange

elsewhere but
stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and stairs?

Dangerous overcrowding?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Richard J.[_3_] September 15th 11 07:11 PM

Earl's Court escalators

wrote on 15 September 2011 14:54:28 ...
I see that Piccadilly trains aren't stopping from yesterday until next
Wednesday (inclusive) due to emergency escalator maintenance.

Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange elsewhere but
stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and stairs?

Because (a) the lifts are already out of action for refurbishment, and
(b) "due to the limited space available to carry out works on the faulty
escalator ..., LU will need to close the landing area around the
escalator to carry out the works." That would leave only a narrow
spiral staircase for access to and from the Piccadilly platforms.

As I see it, LU had no choice having discovered the problem with the
escalator. The question remains what checks were carried out 6 months
ago on the state of the escalator bearings which are now stated to be
"likely to fail within the next few weeks".

LU press release at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/21001.aspx
--
Richard J.

[email protected] September 16th 11 01:05 AM

Earl's Court escalators

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those details. Things are much clearer now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_2_] September 16th 11 10:27 AM

Earl's Court escalators

"Richard J." wrote in message

wrote on 15 September 2011 14:54:28 ...
I see that Piccadilly trains aren't stopping from yesterday until
next Wednesday (inclusive) due to emergency escalator maintenance.

Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange
elsewhere but stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and
stairs?

Because (a) the lifts are already out of action for refurbishment, and
(b) "due to the limited space available to carry out works on the
faulty escalator ..., LU will need to close the landing area around
the escalator to carry out the works." That would leave only a narrow
spiral staircase for access to and from the Piccadilly platforms.

I wonder why the lifts have been closed for so long? I had thought that
they were due to be back in service months ago.

[email protected] September 16th 11 10:54 AM

Earl's Court escalators

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:27:45 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
I wonder why the lifts have been closed for so long? I had thought that
they were due to be back in service months ago.

That might have required somebody working hard. Unions don't allow it.

B2003

Richard J.[_3_] September 16th 11 02:06 PM

Earl's Court escalators

Recliner wrote on 16 September 2011
11:27:45 ...
"Richard wrote in message

wrote on 15 September 2011 14:54:28 ...
I see that Piccadilly trains aren't stopping from yesterday until
next Wednesday (inclusive) due to emergency escalator maintenance.

Anyone got any more details? Why not use encourage interchange
elsewhere but stop anyway and allow people to use the lifts and
stairs?

Because (a) the lifts are already out of action for refurbishment, and
(b) "due to the limited space available to carry out works on the
faulty escalator ..., LU will need to close the landing area around
the escalator to carry out the works." That would leave only a narrow
spiral staircase for access to and from the Piccadilly platforms.

I wonder why the lifts have been closed for so long? I had thought that
they were due to be back in service months ago.

From TfL's press release on 31 Mar 2011: "Two lifts at Earl's Court
Tube station will be out of service from Monday 4 April until March 2012
for refurbishment work."
--
Richard J.