Old October 20th 11, 07:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Modernisation of Irish Rail : 1997 - 2011" Talk.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:03:59 +0100, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 17/10/11 21:22, Bruce wrote:
None of it, I expect. But a significant proportion of the cost was
probably paid by the taxpayers of EU countries.

Here he goes again. It seems that Mr Polson is funding Ireland as well
as Scotland. Well, we saw him first.

He's funding Scotland. I think he was just providing Ireland with
economic advice.

--
Speaking only for myself

Old October 20th 11, 08:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/10/11 21:22, Bruce wrote:
None of it, I expect. But a significant proportion of the cost was
probably paid by the taxpayers of EU countries.

Here he goes again. It seems that Mr Polson is funding Ireland as well
as Scotland. Well, we saw him first.

He's funding Scotland. I think he was just providing Ireland with
economic advice.

Characteristically, along the lines of "If I were you I wouldn't start
from here" ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Old October 21st 11, 06:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 17/10/2011 19:38, Nick Leverton wrote:
In articlesrWdnbHMmZVSwAHTnZ2dnUVZ8sCdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Arthur wrote:
On 17/10/2011 11:33, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
Thursday 20th October 2011 “Modernisation of Irish Rail : 1997 -
2011”
Oliver Doyle, former Operations Schemes Development Manager, Irish
Rail Oliver reflects on the almost total reconstruction of the Irish
Rail network following the Knockcroghery derailment in 1997. His paper
covers the transformation of the railway system from mixed operation
to a predominantly high frequency passenger operation, from loco-
hauled trains to push-pull and multiple unit, supported by extensive
track renewals and track layout changes, new signalling systems, and
upgrading of stations and passenger facilities.

And the Irish wonder why their economy is bankrupt?

Did Ireland pay for it?

Though the alternative to serious modernisation was probably some kind
of O'Serpell.

What they need is some kind of generous O'Polson ...

While MU-isation, commuter services, Luas and similar things probably made
sense - viewed in terms of "modern European country" rather than "place to
go on holiday trainspotting" - having done the Limerick to Galway line
last year I had to wonder if it was really a sensible use of money.

And what's more it was easily predictable.

I did the line when it only when from Limerick to Ennis and there was me and
about three others using it

tim

Old October 21st 11, 09:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 21/10/2011 19:21, tim.... wrote:
"Arthur wrote in message

While MU-isation, commuter services, Luas and similar things probably made
sense - viewed in terms of "modern European country" rather than "place to
go on holiday trainspotting" - having done the Limerick to Galway line
last year I had to wonder if it was really a sensible use of money.

And what's more it was easily predictable.

I did the line when it only when from Limerick to Ennis and there was me and
about three others using it

I suspect two were me and my mate from school! The guard made some
comments about people just going for the ride.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 22nd 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

* wrote:
[...]

money. Anyone know how it is performing - does it perhaps have commuter
traffic which I would have seen over Easter?

And Ireland has actually got a renewed railway network out of it all.
How has, say, Greece got on in the same period?

--
Arthur Figgis * * * * * * * * Surrey, UK

Yes, they have restored some lines.
Yet, they disconnected the line to Rosslare from Waterford!! If you
wanted to
reach Rosslare from Cork, then you have a very circuitous route.

Any word on restoring the line from Sligo to Galway?

I took some pictures at the different lines on a trip to Eire in July.
I also have photos of Whitehead Steam. Not all of my pictures are
online.

http://n1ey.com/Railroad/nfpicturepro/index.php?cat=6

I do think that they are smart in increasing the frequency. This
actually
improves asset utilization and makes network "effect" possible.
Who would take a journey in the old days if it you need to take two
trains? You would only dare to take the train to Dublin in my guess.

My worry is that they seem insistent on expanding Luas instead of
improving speed on the DART and building out new DART lines. They
seem
only willing to build new right of way for LRV.

Bill