Old November 1st 11, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default FCC Stitching Customers Up?

On Oct 31, 10:22*pm, "Pat O'Neill" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
(John C) wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message
.. .

"Nick Leverton" wrote

I don't remember there being any restriction on that in control terms.
Up to about 1969/70, MLV+MLV+Cep+Bep+Cep was common on boat trains
-
effectively five units. *I think I recall workings later on such as
8Hap - four units. *My early notebooks unfortunately didn't include
train formations.

I've got a note that I travelled on a 5 unit train, 0910 Charing
Cross to Folkestone, in 1971 orv 1972, 5x2HAP from Charing Cross,
rear 4 detached at Tonbridge. I also have a note of a 4-unit train
in 1971, 0940 Victoria to Ramsgate formed 2HAP, 2HAP, 4BEP, 4CEP,
rear 4 detached at Faversham for Dover.

10 car EPB formations formed entirely of two car sets were not
unusual in the last few months, especially once the Selhurst units
moved to Slade Green sending many of the unrefurbished four car sets
for scrap.

But these were from another era of much simpler multiple unit control
systems. What about modern units with computers?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

There was something about Group E and Group D stock and I can't find it in
my files.

Old November 1st 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 11:45*pm, Theo Markettos theom
wrote:
In uk.railway D7666 wrote:

375/377 configure themselves by current limiting. Its been posted in
here a few times before, but in simple terms each traction pack (or
motor bogie) takes 750 A but once a train reaches or exceeds 4500(?)
A, the train computers divide loads equally across all working packs
but not at 750 A. Or something like that. In this way the performance
of 4x3 (8 packs) is equalised with 3x4 (9 packs).

There was that 23 car Southeastern 37x that ran as ECS during the snow last
winter. *Obviously a special case with appropriate overrides, but I wonder
what was overridden. *Highest current would be on starting I assume, and you
can't avoid that. *Unless by a reduction in starting torque?

Theo

IIRC 2 11-12 car trains of 3or4 car units failed that morning due to
losing all shoes.

AFAIA that 23 car train was one 11or12 car train tractoring the other
12or11 car train one of which had no shoes to take any power so was
dead.

--
Nick