Old August 21st 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL give up on FCC

At Moorgate station this evening I noticed that TfL have eventually got
around to updating the signs that used to point to the "Thameslink" and
"WAGN" platforms.

The former are now simply signed as "Trains to Bedford", the latter as
"Trains to Stevenage". All reference to Thameslink or WAGN has gone.
There is no reference to First Capital Connect.

At Farringdon a few minutes later I also noticed that the signs to
"Thameslink" have been replaced by ones that now simply say "National
Rail".

PaulO

Old August 21st 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Oter wrote:
At Moorgate station this evening I noticed that TfL have eventually
got around to updating the signs that used to point to the
"Thameslink" and "WAGN" platforms.

The former are now simply signed as "Trains to Bedford", the latter as
"Trains to Stevenage". All reference to Thameslink or WAGN has gone.
There is no reference to First Capital Connect.

At Farringdon a few minutes later I also noticed that the signs to
"Thameslink" have been replaced by ones that now simply say "National
Rail".

Quite right too. With these ridiculous short seven-year franchises it makes
no sense to waste money on operator-specific signage that needs to be
replaced if the franchisee changes.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:14:34 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

Paul Oter wrote:
At Moorgate station this evening I noticed that TfL have eventually
got around to updating the signs that used to point to the
"Thameslink" and "WAGN" platforms.

The former are now simply signed as "Trains to Bedford", the latter as
"Trains to Stevenage". All reference to Thameslink or WAGN has gone.
There is no reference to First Capital Connect.

At Farringdon a few minutes later I also noticed that the signs to
"Thameslink" have been replaced by ones that now simply say "National
Rail".

Quite right too. With these ridiculous short seven-year franchises it makes
no sense to waste money on operator-specific signage that needs to be
replaced if the franchisee changes.

Bit isn't the (Bedford) line, as opposed to the TOC, still called
Thameslink, even by FCC?? Why do they have to change anything?
--
Peter Lawrence
Old August 22nd 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Bit isn't the (Bedford) line, as opposed to the TOC, still called
Thameslink, even by FCC?? Why do they have to change anything?

It's First Capital Connect Thameslink branch and Great Northern branch,
although First will use FCC Thameslink or FCC Great Northern / FCC GN
too. It does seem a bit random, I must admit.

Once people are used to the new name, I hope First will copy FCC to the
signs at Kings Cross (instead of First Cap Connect, which is still too
long for anything but 'on time' messages).

TfL should be saying 'National Rail' services on all stations with an
interchange. It would certainly make more sense to irregular
travellers/tourists who don't really want or need to know station X is
for Virgin, Y for GNER and Z for First Great Western etc. Anyone who
does care will know anyway.

Jonathan

Old August 22nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:

TfL should be saying 'National Rail' services on all stations with an
interchange. It would certainly make more sense to irregular
travellers/tourists who don't really want or need to know station X is
for Virgin, Y for GNER and Z for First Great Western etc. Anyone who
does care will know anyway.

Simply saying "National Rail" would not be very helpful at Moorgate,
since National Rail trains on the GN route etc leave from a completely
different part of the station from National Rail trains on the TL
route.

Are there any other LU stations where National Rail services on
different routes leave from different parts of the LU station?

PaulO

Old August 22nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:

Once people are used to the new name, I hope First will copy FCC to the
signs at Kings Cross (instead of First Cap Connect, which is still too
long for anything but 'on time' messages).

Yes but "King's Cross FCC" sounds naff. And as for "City FCC" it sounds more
like a football club than anything else!

TfL should be saying 'National Rail' services on all stations with an
interchange. It would certainly make more sense to irregular
travellers/tourists who don't really want or need to know station X is
for Virgin, Y for GNER and Z for First Great Western etc. Anyone who
does care will know anyway.

I disagree - a lot of people find the "National Rail services" meaningless.
And TfL don't just say "other tube lines" for their own services do they?

Old August 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Aug 2006 12:57:06 -0700, Paul Oter wrote:

Simply saying "National Rail" would not be very helpful at Moorgate,
since National Rail trains on the GN route etc leave from a completely
different part of the station from National Rail trains on the TL
route.

Are there any other LU stations where National Rail services on
different routes leave from different parts of the LU station?

King's Cross
Stratford
Highbury & Islington
Old August 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Are there any other LU stations where National Rail services on
different routes leave from different parts of the LU station?

Highbury and Islington, West Ham, Stratford, Kings Cross, Paddington
(stretching the definition here!).
--
Paul C

Old August 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Jonathan Morris wrote:

Once people are used to the new name, I hope First will copy FCC to the
signs at Kings Cross (instead of First Cap Connect, which is still too
long for anything but 'on time' messages).

Yes but "King's Cross FCC" sounds naff. And as for "City FCC" it sounds more
like a football club than anything else!

TfL should be saying 'National Rail' services on all stations with an
interchange. It would certainly make more sense to irregular
travellers/tourists who don't really want or need to know station X is
for Virgin, Y for GNER and Z for First Great Western etc. Anyone who
does care will know anyway.

I disagree - a lot of people find the "National Rail services" meaningless.
And TfL don't just say "other tube lines" for their own services do they?

I'd agree with that. It might be a bit difficult at termini with a very
wide range of services like Victoria, but it would certainly help to
highlight particular services like airport trains (e.g. "change here for
National Rail services, including trains to Gatwick").

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 22nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Jonathan Morris wrote:

Once people are used to the new name, I hope First will copy FCC to the
signs at Kings Cross (instead of First Cap Connect, which is still too
long for anything but 'on time' messages).

Yes but "King's Cross FCC" sounds naff.

It would also be ambigous. Would "King's Cross FCC" mean the former
Thameslink station or the mainline station? Both have FCC trains (and
if you're on the Piccadilly or Victoria platforms they involve walking
in opposite directions).

Platforms 9/10/11 in Pancras Road have as much claim to be called
King's Cross First Capital Connect as platforms A and B in Pentonville
Road do.

PaulO