Old November 25th 11, 08:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail construction contracts let at low prices

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Regards

Jonathan

Yes, also land values are lower if you need to buy it for the
project.

Patrick

Old November 25th 11, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Regards

Jonathan

Yes, also land values are lower if you need to buy it for the
project.

Already purchased, unfortunately. So no savings there.

Old November 26th 11, 07:15 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

True, and the original cost estimates were made at a time when
construction prices were not only at a record high, but projected to
continue rising at a rapid rate.

The recession hit construction very hard and there is no sign of any
recovery. *On the contrary, forward order books are at a very low
level. *So prices have dropped considerably.

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. *I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Yes, but to do this well, government needs to be frugal during the
good years.
Old November 26th 11, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"77002" wrote in message

I gather from someone I know at Crossrail that the overall estimated
cost for the project has now dropped by around **£2 billion** from the
original estimates. I think that means we are now looking at an
outturn cost of around £14.7 billion at 2009 prices.

Isn't that traditionally one of the arguments for a programme of public
works in recessionary times - that you can get good value for money?

Yes, but to do this well, government needs to be frugal during the
good years.

Ah, I'm on the verge of spotting the flaw...

Old November 27th 11, 08:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The Teuchters will get their new ferry yet, just see!

--

Didn't realise they were in the market for one.

What they are in the market for is a major electrification project
over the next 5 years, with another one behind that.

Funded from the pittances that they get from the UK government.

They are also building a new Forth Crossing bridge too.

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.
Old November 27th 11, 11:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Big Jack" wrote in message

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

Paul S

Old November 27th 11, 12:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/11/2011 12:52, Paul Scott wrote:
"Big Jack" wrote in message

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

How's the Edinburgh tram coming on?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 27th 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:52:59 on
Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Paul Scott remarked:

Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

There are some big holes in the ground near Tottenham Ct Road. Maybe
it's someone building a new facility for the S******* R******, and not
what it seems at all? They do say that hiding things in plain sight is
often a useful strategy.
Old November 27th 11, 04:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 12:52:59 on
Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Paul Scott
remarked:
Compared to CrossRail the guys in Edinburgh are getting on with the
job. Not just talking about it 10 years later.

Are you suggesting Crossrail has not yet started?

There are some big holes in the ground near Tottenham Ct Road. Maybe
it's someone building a new facility for the S******* R******, and not
what it seems at all? They do say that hiding things in plain sight is
often a useful strategy.

Work is also underway at the portals, and Farringdon has become a rather
large buiilding site. I know that some of these projects are also to do
with related projects to enlarge ticket halls, etc, but those probably
wouldn't have started without Crossrail.