London Banter

-   -   222 bus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1244-222-bus.html)

Dr Ivan D. Reid January 8th 04 06:39 AM

222 bus

Saw a double-decker on the 222 route the other night. I don't
recall seeing one before, is this a new development?

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Orienteer January 8th 04 07:43 AM

222 bus

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message
Saw a double-decker on the 222 route the other night. I don't
recall seeing one before, is this a new development?

Happens occasionally, presumably when they are short of the usual single
deckers.

There is at least one DD working regularly on the A10. The special liveried
Darts for the A10 are now used randomly on any Uxbridge-based routes.

Dave Arquati January 8th 04 12:00 PM

222 bus

Orienteer wrote:
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Saw a double-decker on the 222 route the other night. I don't
recall seeing one before, is this a new development?

Happens occasionally, presumably when they are short of the usual single
deckers.

There is at least one DD working regularly on the A10. The special liveried
Darts for the A10 are now used randomly on any Uxbridge-based routes.

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Helen Deborah Vecht January 8th 04 12:59 PM

222 bus

Dave Arquati typed

Orienteer wrote:
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Saw a double-decker on the 222 route the other night. I don't
recall seeing one before, is this a new development?

Happens occasionally, presumably when they are short of the usual single
deckers.

There is at least one DD working regularly on the A10. The special
liveried
Darts for the A10 are now used randomly on any Uxbridge-based routes.

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

I'm not sure how it works, but the 183 was a single deck for a short
while, after which Sovereign saw the error of its ways and replaced the
double deckers. I presume the ticketing software must be able to tell
the loading levels.

I remember when the old No 28 buses (328 predecessor) were Routemasters...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Paul Corfield January 8th 04 05:47 PM

222 bus

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

well the 28/31/328 group of routes have been retendered recently and the
choice of vehicle is still being debated. However the TfL Business Plan
says the intent - subject to funding - is to restore double deckers.
About time too.

Can't comment on the 49 but your comment is not the only one I've heard
on that subject.
--
Paul C

Dave Arquati January 8th 04 09:15 PM

222 bus

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

well the 28/31/328 group of routes have been retendered recently and the
choice of vehicle is still being debated. However the TfL Business Plan
says the intent - subject to funding - is to restore double deckers.
About time too.

Can't comment on the 49 but your comment is not the only one I've heard
on that subject.

The other people who've commented are probably the others jammed onto
the 49. :-) I only use it occasionally; I feel sorry for those who use
it every day. It seems to suffer from permanent running in pairs at an
unacceptable frequency for an obviously busy service...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Sunny Dale January 8th 04 09:36 PM

222 bus

Bear in mind the 155 went through this when they downgraded this from M's to
LDP's. Though this was due to the 355 being created. Recent tender gained
and new PVL's operate. I am sure London United want to move the DP/DPS off
to other more useful routes and bring TA's.

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

well the 28/31/328 group of routes have been retendered recently and the
choice of vehicle is still being debated. However the TfL Business Plan
says the intent - subject to funding - is to restore double deckers.
About time too.

Can't comment on the 49 but your comment is not the only one I've heard
on that subject.
--
Paul C

---

[email protected] January 8th 04 09:38 PM

222 bus

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:59:48 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

I'm not sure how it works, but the 183 was a single deck for a short
while, after which Sovereign saw the error of its ways and replaced the
double deckers. I presume the ticketing software must be able to tell
the loading levels.

If the situation with 183 was anything like that we had in East London
with the 257, it was *London* *Buses* who eventually saw the error of
their ways. Sovereign, as the lucky operator, just had to take the
flak for London Buses decision to convert 183 to single deck, just as
First Capital did with the 257.
(And I'm told Capitals' management did ask "Are you *?!@%* sure?" when
they were told they had retained the 257 with single deckers).

--
Thomas Covenant
Please observe reply to Address.

Helen Deborah Vecht January 8th 04 10:22 PM

222 bus

Paul Corfield typed

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:00:59 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

The 49 and 328 are both single decker routes desperately in need of
double deckers. Is there a process or trigger level that causes TfL to
ask the operator to provide DDs?

well the 28/31/328 group of routes have been retendered recently and the
choice of vehicle is still being debated. However the TfL Business Plan
says the intent - subject to funding - is to restore double deckers.
About time too.

Can't comment on the 49 but your comment is not the only one I've heard
on that subject.

Just as well. 31 is a sardine can on wheels...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.