Old December 13th 11, 05:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Rail Link plan approved by Government

Croxley Rail Link plan approved by Government

5:35pm Tuesday 13th December 2011 – Watford observer

By Adam Binnie and Mike Wright »

Work on a £120m rail project that will change the face of Watford and
Croxley Green has been approved by the Government.

An official announcement that the long-running Croxley Rail Link
project has been approved is due to take place tomorrow, the Watford
Observer understands.

The new link will connect Croxley Station on the Metropolitan Line
with currently disused track between Croxley Green and Watford High
Street overground station.

A colossal rail bridge will run from Baldwins Lane in Croxley Green,
past the Harvester restaurant and over the dual carriageway.

The new railway will then run along Watford Road, the Grand Union
canal, and through west Watford, where two new stations will be built
in Ascot Road and Vicarage Road.

Both MP for Watford Richard Harrington and mayor Dorothy Thornhill,
who have lobbied heavily for the project to go ahead, welcomed the
news.

Mr Harrington “I am delighted that this Government has taken this
decision and invested in the future of Watford.

“This development will be crucial in regenerating Watford and bringing
much-needed investment in the town.

“Over the last few weeks I have spoken to the Transport Secretary and
the Chancellor to push for Government support as I believe it will be
a pivotal boost for Watford and the start of an exciting new chapter
for the town.”

Mayor Thornhill added: “I have a huge grin on my face. This is
something I have wanted for the town for many years. I can't pretend
that I am not proud that it is my government that has granted it.”

Speaking before the announcement, Mr Harrington described the project
as “a major urban regeneration scheme for the poorest parts of
Watford”.

A three dimensional video shows the scale of new route, which is hoped
to be finished by 2016, as it winds its way from Croxley Green, along
the railway bridge and into Watford.

………………………………………………………………..
…………………………………………………………………
John Burke
WRUG

Old December 13th 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I know all the Communists of the North that frequent here will deny
it.

But, this government is turning out to be all our Xmas and New Years
combined as far as the railways are concerned.

Such relief, after the last lot, who were so determined to file away
stuff like this in the cabinet marked 'to be forgotten for a very long
time'.

The boys are back in town.

Old December 13th 11, 05:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

You really are insufferable.
Old December 13th 11, 06:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:53:22 -0800 (PST), allantracy
wrote:

I know all the Communists of the North that frequent here will deny
it.

But, this government is turning out to be all our Xmas and New Years
combined as far as the railways are concerned.

Such relief, after the last lot, who were so determined to file away
stuff like this in the cabinet marked 'to be forgotten for a very long
time'.

The boys are back in town.

Also good to see that the locals are enthusiastic, unlike the whingers
in Edinburgh who are apparently now complaining to the United Nations:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-16165656

If they are worried about air pollution, I say build a public
transport system that runs on electricity and introduce a congestion
charge to discourage use of cars.
Old December 13th 11, 06:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/12/2011 18:53, allantracy wrote:

[snip]

The boys are back in town.

The Transport Secretary is a lady.

Old December 13th 11, 07:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Thank jeebus sanity has finally, 50 years late, prevailed.

Huzzah!
Old December 13th 11, 07:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 7:03*pm, Scott wrote:

Also good to see that the locals are enthusiastic, unlike the whingers
in Edinburgh who are apparently now complaining to the United Nations:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-16165656

If they are worried about air pollution, I say build a public
transport system that runs on electricity and introduce a congestion
charge to discourage use of cars.

The problem is that there are always going to be whingers - ISTR a
similar mob (although not going so far as to complaining to the UN!)
about Croydon Tramlink, who became very silent after it had opened and
proved to be a success.

On the subject of Watford, I can only agree with those who say "and
not before time". This is the sort of project that should be
championed: relatively low-cost and largely using disused or under-
used heavy rail lines, to optimise their utility.

For historical interest, here's a pic of Croxley Green as was:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6053903...57626997351648

Old December 13th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 6:00*pm, burkey wrote:
[...]

GREAT NEWS!

However, approved does not mean funded?

What do we know about funding?
Old December 13th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 6:53*pm, allantracy wrote:
I know all the Communists of the North that frequent here will deny
it.

But, this government is turning out to be all our Xmas and New Years
combined as far as the railways are concerned.

Such relief, after the last lot, who were so determined to file away
stuff like this in the cabinet marked 'to be forgotten for a very long
time'.

The boys are back in town.

Given the dire times in which we live, things are looking pretty good
for the UK's railroads. Don't expect the liberal whingers here to
concede the point.
Old December 13th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 8:00*pm, Jamie Thompson wrote:
Thank jeebus sanity has finally, 50 years late, prevailed.

Amen.