Old December 24th 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New boris bus breaks down

In article ,

*Subject:* New boris bus breaks down
*From:* "Recliner"
*Date:* Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:02:45 -0000

wrote in message

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote in message

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote in message

In article ,

(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message , at
04:17:11 on Fri, 23 Dec 2011,

remarked:
According to Wikipedia, a New Bus for London weighs 11.8t, and
a Routemaster weighs 7.5t.

That's more reasonable. Perhaps the 18 tonnes was fully loaded.
RMLs were 8.25 tons, by the way.

87 people weigh a little over 7 tons, using the USA's regulation
of 185lbs each. I don't know what the equivalent figure is here,
but it tallies with the above quite well.

You can be sure that my 1969 fully laden figures would be more
today, if only because the average weight of a Londoner has risen
in the last forty years!

However, fewer modern Londoners would fit on the bus, so the total
weight may be little changed.

They are still fitting into Routemasters on the heritage routes.

I've not travelled on them -- do you know how many people cram on to
the RMs on those routes?

No. But there are seats for 64 if they try.

My point was that fewer modern people would fit into an RM than once
did. For example, how many double seats are actually occupied by two
people these days? And how many stand?

I last rode on a Routemaster over five years ago when they were still in
squadron service. The double seats were fairly well used then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 24th 11, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:17:30 -0600,
wrote:
I last rode on a Routemaster over five years ago when they were

still in
squadron service. The double seats were fairly well used then.

Though the person on the aisle side would often find only one cheek
could be accommodated, as it were.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK