Old July 30th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default What's the LAW/RULING on TEA-BREAKS at WORK

Does anyone know the UK or EU working time law/byelaw/ruling/directive
on paid/unpaid teabreaks at one's workplace especially in the railway
industry.

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.
But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

--
Many Thanks

Gunjani
Actual excuse notes teachers have recieved, part 5:
Carlos was absent yesterday because he was playing
football. He was hurt in the growing part.

Old July 30th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Gunjani wrote:

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.
But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

It's true. That's the lunchbreak. If you work more than a six hour day,
you're entitled to a 20 minute break. Most workplaces will insist you
take at least half an hour.

Old July 30th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
tim tim is offline

"Gunjani" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know the UK or EU working time law/byelaw/ruling/directive
on paid/unpaid teabreaks at one's workplace especially in the railway
industry.

transport workers are excempt (for a little bit longer)

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.

There is no entitlement to a paid break. All entitlements are to an unpaid
'rest' period which the employer must allow the employee to spend in
an environment away from the work place if they wish (so no having to
sit on the bus looking after it, rule allowed!)

But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

20 minutes after six hours is the rule IIRC (whether I'd want to be on
a train/bus driven by somebody on this schedule is another matter
so I suspect we're talking about counter staff?

Tim
..

Old July 30th 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"James Farrar" wrote in message
Gunjani wrote:

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.
But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

It's true. That's the lunchbreak. If you work more than a six hour day,
you're entitled to a 20 minute break. Most workplaces will insist you
take at least half an hour.

See http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_r...6.htm#section6 for the legal
requirements.

Roger

Old August 1st 03, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Andrew writes
I was always under the impression that you are entitled to 15 minutes
break after working four hours, and legally can not be forced to work
longer than four hours without a break.

That's not the case.

As stated elsewhere, if you work more than six hours, you are entitled
to a break of 20mins. For the majority of workers, that means the lunch
break - there is no legal entitlement to any additional tea-break. Of
course contractual arrangements may allow for more generous breaks.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...9981833.htm#12
http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_r...6.htm#section6

This isn't specifically railway work, but almost every job I've done
has adhered to this.

You've had some good employers. Many people have the legal minimum and
no more.

--
Dave
Old August 1st 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Dave wrote:
[...]

I once (very briefly) had a permanant night job where the breaks were
limited to 2 x 15 minutes.

Old August 1st 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Rob Rob is offline

an lul driver is not allowed to work more than 4hrs 15 min driving time with
out a break. the break is 30 min unpaid plus walking time.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:53:17 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Andrew writes
} I was always under the impression that you are entitled to 15 minutes
} break after working four hours, and legally can not be forced to work
} longer than four hours without a break.
}
} That's not the case.
}
} As stated elsewhere, if you work more than six hours, you are entitled
} to a break of 20mins. For the majority of workers, that means the lunch
} break - there is no legal entitlement to any additional tea-break. Of
} course contractual arrangements may allow for more generous breaks.
}
} http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...9981833.htm#12
} http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_r...6.htm#section6
}
} This isn't specifically railway work, but almost every job I've done
} has adhered to this.
}
} You've had some good employers. Many people have the legal minimum and
} no more.

Other health and saftey regulations might impinge on this.

One that I'm aware of (because of my job) is use of a VDU, "breaks" are
required but aren't necessarily "rests" but can be achieved by doing
some task that does not require the use of the VDU.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/
Old August 2nd 03, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:28:13 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
} On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:29:01 +0100 Rob wrote:
} } an lul driver is not allowed to work more than 4hrs 15
} min driving time with } out a break. the break is 30 min
} unpaid plus walking time.
}
} I'm curious; is this set as an LU policy or is it mandated
} by some
} legislation such as H&S regs or bye-laws?
}
} Matthew
}
} Working hours of train crew are a matter of national legislation that
} predates the HSE. IIRC it originated in about 1919/1921.

Thanks.

Matthew