Old January 2nd 12, 02:02 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Default coins and basic arithmetic, was bus partitions

And it had nothing to do with the particular coins being offered -- it
would have worked just as well with Statehood Quarters or Lewis &
Clark Nickels or any ordinary coins.

Sigh. *If you'd ever actually looked at the Mint's web site, you'd
know that the bags of dollar coins are the only thing they sold there
at face value. *You could (and can) buy a bag of 100 quarters, but not
for $25. ...

The scam WOULD HAVE WORKED JUST AS WELL with any coins that were
offered the way the commemorative dollars were offered.

Hmmn. Is there some way I could write "bags of dollar coins are the
only thing they sold there at face value" that would be easier to
understand?

R's,
John

Old January 2nd 12, 03:17 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Default coinage, was bus partitions

On Jan 1, 5:24*pm, "Martin Rich" wrote:
"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

In 1965, when silver coins were replaced by clad coins, the old ones
weren't recalled or demonetized or anything; the ones that weren't in
the collectors pool were simply retired as they were deposited in
banks, presumably to eventually be melted down for whatever else
silver was used for.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, when the UK went decimal in 1971 the
former one shilling and two shilling coins remained unchanged, apart from
the details of the design, but became 5p and 10p coins. *So a lot of coins
with 'one shilling' or 'two shilling' inscriptions remained in circulation
until the new, smaller, 5p and 10p coins were introduced in the early 1990s.
But in later years the oldest shilling or two shilling coins in widespread
circulation were from 1947, because the older coins had a higher silver
content and thus would have significant scrap value

Well, we haven't had a currency change since the Jefferson
administration (1801-1809), when decimal currency replaced pounds and
thalers and pesos.
Old January 2nd 12, 03:19 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 1, 10:02*pm, John Levine wrote:
And it had nothing to do with the particular coins being offered -- it
would have worked just as well with Statehood Quarters or Lewis &
Clark Nickels or any ordinary coins.

Sigh. *If you'd ever actually looked at the Mint's web site, you'd
know that the bags of dollar coins are the only thing they sold there
at face value. *You could (and can) buy a bag of 100 quarters, but not
for $25. ...

The scam WOULD HAVE WORKED JUST AS WELL with any coins that were
offered the way the commemorative dollars were offered.

Hmmn. *Is there some way I could write "bags of dollar coins are the
only thing they sold there at face value" that would be easier to
understand?

You really don't understand counterfactuals?

That means, You really don't understand "what if"s? and fiction? and
imagination?
Old January 2nd 12, 04:09 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Phil Kane wrote:
" wrote:
I don't quite understand how silver certificates worked. What I've
heard, you could take one to a bank and redeem it for silver. But how
would that silver actually be distributed?

I tried that once. I got a silver dollar. Neither the paper nor the
coin had $1 worth of silver metal, however!

If you went to a US Assay Office, you could get full value. After
failing to talk you out of it, they would get out a set of scales and
weights, open the safe and get a pouch of silver powder and measure the
appropriate amount into a glassine envelope. They were definitely not
happy about all this, particularly since they knew the customer would
quickly realize there was nothing he could do with a little envelope of
silver dust.

Old January 2nd 12, 04:29 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Hmmn. *Is there some way I could write "bags of dollar coins are the
only thing they sold there at face value" that would be easier to
understand?

You really don't understand counterfactuals?

That means, You really don't understand "what if"s? and fiction? and
imagination?

Ah. If you're saying that all of your usenet posts are fiction, that
explains a lot. Sorry for my unwarranted assumption that you were
attempting to make sense.

R's,
John

PS: If the Mint gave away a pony with every bag of dollar coins rather
than just frequent flyer miles, I bet they would have shipped way more
of them.

ObTransit: I gather that you can pay for a bus trip with two dollar
coins and a quarter. Has anyone here ever done so?

Old January 2nd 12, 11:25 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On 02/01/2012 02:25, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:16:42 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
wrote:

Yeah, I thought I might have occasionally seen a red one! Hawaiian
money was not likely to turn up in NYC, especially more than a decade
later!

As I mentioned before, I did run across one in 1954.
--

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNW Beburg MP 28.0 - OE District

I remember seeing a Federal Reserve note that was printed in Honolulu.
It was the only time that I have ever seen one.
Old January 2nd 12, 12:21 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

*wrote:

Yeah, I thought I might have occasionally seen a red one! Hawaiian
money was not likely to turn up in NYC, especially more than a decade
later!

As I mentioned before, I did run across one in 1954.
--

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNW Beburg MP 28.0 - OE District

I remember seeing a Federal Reserve note that was printed in Honolulu.
It was the only time that I have ever seen one.

? Is currency printed anywhere but the Bureau of Engraving and
Printing in Washington, DC?

There are 12 varieties of FRN, one for each of the 12 Federal Reserve
Banks, which differ only in the letter at the beginning of the serial
number and carrying the name and number of the Bank that issued it.
Boston is #1, New York is #2, etc. It doesn't seem likely that a FRB
was placed in Hawaii, a mere territory, when the system was invented
in 1916. Isn't #12 San Francisco?
Old January 2nd 12, 04:50 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On 02/01/2012 13:21, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, the Federal Reserve seal had the letter I and the words Honolulu,
Hawai'i. It was not military scrip of any sort and had no special
colours on it.
Old January 2nd 12, 04:53 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

I remember seeing a Federal Reserve note that was printed in Honolulu.
It was the only time that I have ever seen one.

? Is currency printed anywhere but the Bureau of Engraving and
Printing in Washington, DC?

It's all printed in DC, using paper from Dalton MA.

In WW II, the bills circulating in Hawaii were overprinted, so they
could be recognized and voided if Hawaii were captured. This
Wikipedia article has a picture of an overprinted note. Perhaps that's
what he was thinking of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_overprint_note

R's,
John

Old January 2nd 12, 06:29 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Yeah, I thought I might have occasionally seen a red one! Hawaiian
money was not likely to turn up in NYC, especially more than a decade
later!

As I mentioned before, I did run across one in 1954.

A little correction to my previous posts -

A little WikiP research revealed that the Hawaii-issue $1 bills had
brown numbers and the word "Hawaii" on it in several places. The $1
bills with the yellow numbers were overseas military pay in and after
WW-II. It was the latter bill that I had in 1954.