Old December 30th 11, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Free Travel Area

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 06:33:27
on Thu, 29 Dec 2011, remarked:
but why will the majority changing flight go land side in the first
place

How else do they change terminal?

By taking the airside transfer buses and using the infamous "Connections
Centre" to be re-screened.

Much fun for all the family at this stupidly long url:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-guide/flight-
connections/connection-guides/international-arrival/international-
departure

Where (eg) T4-T5 is timed at 105 minutes. No wonder some people think
going landside will be quicker.

But that includes 30-45 minutes for queuing up for security/waiting in the
far lounge

You'd have to allow this time if you went on the tube.

The actual transfer time, including waiting for the bus is going to be 30
minutes or less. I doubt that you will better this going land-side and back

tim

Old December 30th 11, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:28:54 on Fri, 30 Dec
2011, tim.... remarked:
[...]

As I've tried this, perhaps you'll allow me to disagree? I even had a
"race" with a colleague from T4 to T1, he went airside and I went
landside (on HEx) and won.

Part of the problem is the accessibility of the airside bus, which at T4
goes from the very SW corner of the terminal whereas the immigration/
customs exit is in the middle of the building. If you land at one of the
gates at the NE of the building the bus is about 20 minutes walk away.

Although the geography's slightly different, I also lost a "race" at
Charles de Gaulle between landing long haul and getting to the Air
France departure lounge for the hop to the UK. I went airside on the
bus, and they went landside on foot.

Old December 30th 11, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:37:27 +0000, "
wrote:
Since the Free Travel applies to busses and the HEx or HCon, is

there
any prospect of free travel between T4, T1,3 & T5 on the

Underground?

Yes (next year). That is the subject of this thread!

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old December 30th 11, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , tim....
writes

And then there are the people who arrive on the "Woking/Reading" bus that
doesn't serve T4 anymore

That's also true of a number of coach services, including the popular
Oxford/Heathrow Express.

--
Paul Terry

Old December 30th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:51:23 on Fri, 30
Dec 2011, Paul Terry remarked:

And then there are the people who arrive on the "Woking/Reading" bus that
doesn't serve T4 anymore

That's also true of a number of coach services, including the popular
Oxford/Heathrow Express.

It's a shame that getting to T1-T4 is a terrible trip on the tube, but
better on the way back.
Old December 31st 11, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 22:15:12 on Thu, 29
Dec 2011, Clive Page remarked:
But a question: to get from T123 to T4 you have to change at Hatton
Cross don't you, as all trains go clockwise around the route. I
presume that's allowed free on the new Oyster-card arrangement?

It says "journeys between", without ruling that out as a route, indeed
it's the only route.

And although indirect, it's an easy cross-platform interchange at Hatton
X.

Old December 31st 11, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

How long as the Heathrow Free Travel Area existed for busses?
Old December 31st 11, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:04:13 on Sat,
31 Dec 2011, " remarked:
How long as the Heathrow Free Travel Area existed for busses?

The "Heathrow Freeflow" project started studying the idea in 1995, but
information is very thin on the ground about when the buses actually
began running.

This site has pictures of buses it says were acquired in 1995 for
Freeflow, but that may be a mistake based on the project start date,
given the lack of other material to confirm it:
http://www.countrybus.org/Dart/DEL.htm

Otherwise, the oldest references I can find anywhere (including news,
baa etc sites) is on usenet (uk.railway) in Sept 2004, and on a site
which says it was last updated in November 2003:

http://www.notrog.plus.com/busroutes...owfreezone.htm

and a reference elsewhere to hotel free shuttles being scrapped in ~2003
as a result of the Hotel Hoppa part of the Freeflow scheme.
Old December 31st 11, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:10:23 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
and a reference elsewhere to hotel free shuttles being scrapped in

~2003
as a result of the Hotel Hoppa part of the Freeflow scheme.

I thought that was longer ago - I have a distinct memory of going
outward on a trip on a free shuttle, and using the Hotel Hoppa on the
way back, and this was far earlier - 1996?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK