Old January 5th 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

On 05/01/12 13:32, Lüko Willms wrote:

Look at the subject line.

So what? Subjects wander, and you've had no hesitation in accusing
others of being Hitler apologists, bringing up the Falklands and so on
when it suited you. You can't just raise these things and then walk away
in a huff when you get a response. Well, you can, obviously, but it
looks a bit silly.

Ian

Old January 5th 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 05/01/12 13:31, Lüko Willms wrote:
Ich mag keine Katze im Sack kaufen (sorry, don't know a fitting
translation).

"I don't like to buy a pig in a poke."

Ian
Old January 5th 12, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

"Lüko Willms" wrote in message

I might just say that I think that the current British railways are
much more government controlled than the ones in Germany.

And there, we agree!

Old January 5th 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 05.01.2012 13:10, schrieb ian batten:
Orwell knew what he was writing about.

Yes. He wrote about a society in which people were prepared to betray
their friends to the secret police in exchange for trivial rewards.

"Do it to Julia" was not cried out for a "trivial reward".

And then he betrayed his friends to the secret police in exchange for
trivial rewards.

The people who were on the list were not his friends any more, I think.

But makeing a big fuss about this list of people known for their
political stance is typical for the stalinists, who never forgave Orwell
his "Homage to Catalunya", where he destroyed all the stalinist lies
against the Spanish revolutionaries in the most effective way, and gave
a sober description of the counter-revolutionary role of stalinism in
the Spanish civil war. That is the real cause of the Stalinist hate of
Orwell, which you reflect here, not this list. The list is only a cover.

But sure, the English bourgeoisie also doesn't like Orwell. They try
to use two of his works, and put all others in the "memory hole".

Cheers,
L.W.

Old January 5th 12, 01:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 05/01/2012 14:05, Lüko Willms wrote:
I do not deal in labels.

ROTFL

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old January 5th 12, 01:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 05.01.2012 15:22, schrieb The Real Doctor:
You are proving again that you are not an honest opponent in any debate.

Says the man who accuses anyone who disagrees with him of being a Hitler
apologist

You are slandering again, but he can be astonished about that?

and yet consistently declines to state his own opinion on the
murderous proclivities of the Third Reich.

We are in uk.railway and the Subject of this thread deals with "Berlin
Train System".

It seems that you see this as the usual show trial scene for you? No,
I won't play your game.

Who, according to the above quoted sentence written by me, is upset? Is
my name Schnell?

Let me repeat what I wrote:

------ quote ---------
I just pointed out the fact that Herr Schnell is upset about the Berlin
railway workers still enjoying labor standards which they had acquired
during GDR times.
--------- unquote --------

You claim that the subway workers ought to be happy with ("enjoying" is
the key word) DDR labour standards. I'm still not clear whether you
think that should enjoy shooting them if they want to move west.

Again, who in above sentence is said to be upset?

I guess it is by now unequivocally clear the slandering of Mr. anonymous

Or libel, if you prefer.

Anyway, you prove again your character as an habitual liar and
slanderer. Being at home in the gutter press. Have you worked for the
"News of the World" or another Murdoch paper?

Old January 5th 12, 01:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 05/01/2012 14:07, Lüko Willms wrote:
Am 04.01.2012 20:19, schrieb Arthur Figgis:
If 100% of the shares are owned by the state, how does trading happen?

Normally by selling and buying. How else?

Mostly on the stock exchange, which is made for that. Maybe also
bypassing the stock exchange, but then mostly in big chunks.

Who is actually doing the buying?

Anybody who is willing to pay the price offered by the seller. If the
seller actually wants to sell...

It is really a mystery to me why you keep making such a big fuss
about this.

In the UK, shares of state-owned companies ("nationalised", in our
terminology) aren't traded on a stock exchange. All shares are
retained by the state and none are sold.

Only if the state decides to sell the company ("privatise" it) will
the shares be released for trading in a stock exchange.

Ross explained yesterday that German definitions are different.
If you post into UK newsgroups you need to be aware that we are
using different definitions from you.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Old January 5th 12, 01:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 05.01.2012 15:27, schrieb Recliner:
I might just say that I think that the current British railways are
much more government controlled than the ones in Germany.

And there, we agree!

As you see, formalities like the personality of the share holder etc
do not count that much as the ideology wants to make the general public
believe.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old January 5th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

Am 05.01.2012 15:39, schrieb Graham Nye:
In the UK, shares of state-owned companies ("nationalised", in our
terminology) aren't traded on a stock exchange. All shares are
retained by the state and none are sold.

Only if the state decides to sell the company ("privatise" it) will
the shares be released for trading in a stock exchange.

or selling chunks of shares directly to an "investor".

Did they put the shares of British Rail up for sale on the stock
exchange? Not as far as I know.

Ross explained yesterday that German definitions are different.
If you post into UK newsgroups you need to be aware that we are
using different definitions from you.

Again: you are giving too much attention on formalities.

Cheers,
L.W.

Old January 5th 12, 01:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe

On 05/01/12 13:55, Lüko Willms wrote:
Does he fire any gay person from the Scotrail operations he manages?

He doesn't manage Scotrail. He owns it. We call that "capitalism".

Ian