Old January 24th 12, 05:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default smart cards, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:51:50 +0000 (UTC), John Levine
wrote:
it's a cheap add-on. The hard part may be negotiating the floor

limit
below which the customer doesn't have to sign. At Wegmans, it's

quite
high, $50.

In the UK a fixed gbp15 if I recall.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old January 24th 12, 05:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:45:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:
The question yet to be answered is how to verify a passenger's

length
of journey on distance-based fare commuter rail systems.

Some sort of penalty for not touching out is easiest, either
financial (charge max fare on touch in, refund on touch out) or in
hassle terms (lock the card until you phone up and have it fixed).

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old January 24th 12, 05:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes (was: E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?))

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:19:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Those few merchants who ring up manually may be inconsistent.

Who said ring it manually?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old January 24th 12, 05:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On 1/23/2012 7:54 PM, Roger Traviss wrote:
It's not an FTC rule. It's a US DOT rule, according to several news
articles
I've read. No, it is NOT acceptable to list the price, net of taxes and
fees, in large type, with the total price in small type. The new rule
on advertising total prices including taxes and fees takes effect on the
26th.

I cannot find anything similar for hotel quotes, though.

In America, on goods subject to sales taxes, practically 100% of pricing is
always without local, state taxes. They are added at the time of payment.

In Canada, because we have a value added tax and depending on what province
you live in as it varies, shown prices will not include federal and
provincial taxes. These are also added at the time of payment.

Indeed. I do love Canada, its people, including the many expats (here in
sunny Southern California) that I know, and it's beautiful landscape and
history.

But I do question the sanity of a country where you must pay tax on a
postage stamp. Is that still the case? It was in Vancouver in 1998. Oh,
and I mean federal VAT, not provincial taxes, as far as I recall.

Regards,

DAve
Old January 24th 12, 06:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

But I do question the sanity of a country where you must pay tax on a
postage stamp. Is that still the case? It was in Vancouver in 1998. Oh,
and I mean federal VAT, not provincial taxes, as far as I recall.

Yes and now we pay HST (Harmonised Sales Tax) on postage stamps. FST + PST.

HST is complicated, Google is your friend if you want to know more.

--
Cheers.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old January 24th 12, 10:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In uk.railway Roland Perry twisted the electrons to say:
In message , at 16:34:44 on Sun, 22 Jan
2012, Alistair Gunn remarked:
Though 1 in 36 of every #1 coins is fake according to some counts ...

The people who claim this never seem to have any guidance on how you can
tell, so I'm a bit sceptical.

The stat appaers to come from the Royal Mint, based upon how many fakes
have been sent to them to be destroyed. Personally most of the fakes
I've seen have been so bad that they only pass inspection if you don't,
in fact, inspect them!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10774366
Old January 24th 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:00:24 +0000 (UTC)
Alistair Gunn wrote:
The stat appaers to come from the Royal Mint, based upon how many fakes
have been sent to them to be destroyed. Personally most of the fakes
I've seen have been so bad that they only pass inspection if you don't,
in fact, inspect them!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10774366

Serves them right for getting rid of pound notes.

B2003

Old January 24th 12, 11:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message , at 16:32:22 on Mon, 23 Jan
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
I knew you'd get there eventually.

Get there? I made that same point in the post you originally responded
to, which is why I didn't understand what point _you_ were making.

OK, to clear this up: you'll never get round-number pricing of $2 per
burger because the marketing people are in love with price points like
$1.99, and it's got nothing to do with sales tax. Burger prices in
tax-inclusive Europe often end in .99 too.

On the other hand, I am agreeing with you that quoting prices ex-tax in
the USA allows national advertising at a consistent price.