Old January 3rd 12, 11:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
SB SB is offline

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

This from Boston. The CharlieCard is an Oyster-type pre-paid cardcard
used in Boston. Ditto Octopus in HKG.

Subject: Expiring CharlieCards causing confusion and frustration

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201..._campaign=8315

For frequent riders, the expiration proves largely invisible: Their
cards
get an automatic software upgrade, and two-year extension, when
swiped. But
irregular riders may find themselves suddenly unable to use their
plastic
CharlieCard. ..

A few weeks ago, reader Irene Gruenfeld of Sudbury and her husband
took
their 5-year-old twins on a stroll through the city with a promise of
a Red
Line ride from Charles/MGH back to their car in South Boston. They had
more
than $10 on each of their cards, but the station gates failed to open,
displaying an "expired'' message. The vending machines presented
similarly
cryptic information. No staff was present, forcing them to buy the
paper
CharlieTickets spit out by the machine, which cost 30 cents more per
ride.

When the CharlieCard was introduced, five years was the industry
standard
for the still-emerging smartcard technology. Manufacturers at the time
recommended a programmed "sunset date'' to stave off problems that
might
arise from frequently used cards nearing the end of their useful life,
he
said. As it became clear the cards could last longer, more recently
issued
CharlieCards have been given sunset dates of 10 years. Most of the 6
million
issued have the longer lifespan, he said.

Old January 3rd 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

In message
, at
03:21:18 on Tue, 3 Jan 2012, SB remarked:
This from Boston. The CharlieCard is an Oyster-type pre-paid cardcard
used in Boston. Ditto Octopus in HKG.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...iecards-causin
g-confusion-and-frustration/aCFuYJF2erbu5072enGKFI/story.html?s_campaign
[...]

Quite a few of Nottingham's "Cityrider" bus smartcards unexpectedly
stopped working on 1st Jan 2010 (not noticed until 2nd Jan as there was
no bus service on the 1st). Once alerted to this, they issued people
with new cards and transferred the credit while allowing passengers who
had a broken card to travel for free (this seems an important aspect!)
Old January 3rd 12, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 03/01/2012 11:21, SB wrote:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201..._campaign=8315

Line ride from Charles/MGH back to their car in South Boston. They had
more
than $10 on each of their cards, but the station gates failed to open,
displaying an "expired'' message.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to trap people /inside/ the Boston metro
system...?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 3rd 12, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Jan 3, 1:31*pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to trap people /inside/ the Boston metro
system...?

That's why they're called "Charlie" cards, the man who never returned.
Old January 19th 12, 01:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...arliecards-cau...

[...]

I've had an Oyster card since May 2004, and it still works. I've
heard of new cards being issued due to some improved security feature,
but when I bought a new annual bus pass last month it was still issued
on the original card. Miss-reads are rare, maybe one or two per
month.

I also have a PATH Smartlink card. When I'm over there I can carry
both cards in the same wallet and the PATH readers read their card and
ignore the Oyster one. However, The Oyster readers will never read
their card if there's a Smartlink card anywhere near it. With this
particular combination of cards it's not really a problem since only
rarely would anybody use both cards on the same day, but with similar
cards being introduced for various purposes it could become a problem
in future. It really shouldn't be a problem to have readers ignore
'foreign' cards, after all, the PATH ones manage to do it.

Mhat are the MTA doing about smartcard ticketing on the Subway and
buses? There was a trial at a few stations when I was there a few
years ago, but that was Subway only, at a time when PATH had started
accepting both Metrocards and Smartlink cards. I would hope that
eventually a card will be introduced that's valid on almost everything
in the area, maybe even for bridge and tunnel tolls.

Old January 19th 12, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:53:57 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
The Oyster system seems supersensitive to multiple cards being presented
- it didn't work if in the same wallet as a door-entry "card" (actually
more of a thick card-sized token).

I've had the occasionally issue with a company security pass but not often.
It probably depends on what radio frequency the other card uses. If its the
same one as oyster then I suspect there'll be problems.

B2003

Old January 19th 12, 10:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On 19/01/2012 13:14, wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:21 am, wrote:
[...]

I doubt that a Smart Card would be used for bridge and tunnel tolls as
most cars in the greater New York area are equipped with special
transponders that toll gates read. They can also be used on other road
agencies' territories -- even in Ontario, in Canada.

Who knows, though?
Old January 20th 12, 04:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Mhat are the MTA doing about smartcard ticketing on the Subway and
buses?

As far as I know, they're still scratching their heads. These days
the options seem to be to issue their own smartcard, like PATH did
with Smartlink, or else piggyback on contactless EMV credit cards
(Visa Paywave, Mastercard Paypass, Amex Express Pay) as SEPTA is
doing. Metrocards are already accepted by multiple different
operating authorities (MTA in NYC, Beeline in Westchester, NICE in
Nassau County, and PATH) so I hope that any new smartcard won't work
any worse.

in the area, maybe even for bridge and tunnel tolls.

I doubt that a Smart Card would be used for bridge and tunnel tolls as
most cars in the greater New York area are equipped with special
transponders that toll gates read. They can also be used on other road
agencies' territories -- even in Ontario, in Canada.

Fare payment cards are intended to be read from a few inches away when
they're nearly stationary. E-ZPass transponders can be read from many
feet away when a vehicle is moving at 60 MPH. They're quite different
applications.

By the way, the only place outside the US that E-ZPass works is on the
Peace bridge across the Niagara river, where the toll booths happen to
be on the Canadian side. In Toronto, the 407 toll road uses the same
technology as E-ZPass but for some reason does not interoperate with it.

R's,
John