London Banter

-   -   Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12853-why-isnt-2009-stock-walk.html)

[email protected] January 6th 12 10:39 AM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of any
disadvantages.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 6th 12 11:48 AM

wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock may be
articulated, and would then have open gangways.

[email protected] January 6th 12 01:33 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:48:56 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock may be
articulated, and would then have open gangways.

Not room for what? Instead of the carraige endwall there is a rubber skirt
(or whatever its called). I don't see the problem.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 6th 12 01:49 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:48:56 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock
may be articulated, and would then have open gangways.

Not room for what? Instead of the carraige endwall there is a rubber
skirt (or whatever its called). I don't see the problem.

As I said, this was discussed in detail some time ago. Perhaps the
engineers involved have a better understanding of 3D geometry than you
do, and can see the problem. In case you still can't understand, look at
the width of the gangway in 378s or S stock, and subtract the difference
in carriage width between them and the 2009 stock to get an idea of how
wide the resulting open gangway would be in Tube stock. If you are a
LURS member, look at the photo on page 5 of the Jan 2012 issue of
Underground News to see what I mean.

[email protected] January 6th 12 02:03 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:49:14 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
As I said, this was discussed in detail some time ago. Perhaps the

Unfortunately I don't have time to trawl through a years worth of posts.

engineers involved have a better understanding of 3D geometry than you
do, and can see the problem. In case you still can't understand, look at
the width of the gangway in 378s or S stock, and subtract the difference
in carriage width between them and the 2009 stock to get an idea of how
wide the resulting open gangway would be in Tube stock. If you are a

I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro who's
magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers a visit.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 6th 12 02:40 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:49:14 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
As I said, this was discussed in detail some time ago. Perhaps the

Unfortunately I don't have time to trawl through a years worth of
posts.

engineers involved have a better understanding of 3D geometry than
you do, and can see the problem. In case you still can't understand,
look at the width of the gangway in 378s or S stock, and subtract
the difference in carriage width between them and the 2009 stock to
get an idea of how wide the resulting open gangway would be in Tube
stock. If you are a

I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers a
visit.

Are they articulated?

[email protected] January 6th 12 02:48 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers a
visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

B2003

Roland Perry January 6th 12 02:57 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

In message , at 15:48:51 on Fri, 6 Jan
2012, d remarked:
Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Dunno, how could we tell? (Other than the absence of the word in the
text for that page).

Recliner[_2_] January 6th 12 02:59 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers
a visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Yes, I think so. The wheels are certainly right at the end of the
carriages, and appear to be on shared bogies.

Recliner[_2_] January 6th 12 03:09 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 15:48:51 on Fri, 6 Jan
2012, d remarked:
Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Dunno, how could we tell? (Other than the absence of the word in the
text for that page).

Yes, definitely -- see this video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaw...el#rel-page-15

Look at how it goes round the curve at about 0:25.

Paul Terry[_2_] January 6th 12 05:11 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

In message , d
writes

I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro who's
magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers a visit.

The profile of the ligne 2 stock in Paris is more like that of the
sub-surface stock in London - a rectangular cross-section that offers
the full available width from floor to ceiling height.

The profile of London tube stock is very different, as the sides curve
sharply inwards towards the top, leaving only enough width for one
person at a time to move between carriages. I think this would severely
limit any walk-through arrangement.

In contrast, the gangway on S-stock is wide enough for two large people
to pass in opposite directions - and it gets wider above knee height.
--
Paul Terry

Richard J.[_3_] January 6th 12 10:43 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

Recliner wrote on 06 January 2012 15:59:16 ...
wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers
a visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Yes, I think so. The wheels are certainly right at the end of the
carriages, and appear to be on shared bogies.

Some people use "articulated" to mean permanently connected cars with a
wide interconnecting gangway, and others use the word to mean cars that
have a shared bogie. Anyone using the word on this newsgroup should
first define which definition they are using.

On the Paris Métro all the trains from 1989 onwards have interconnecting
gangways but conventional bogies. The only trains with shared bogies
are the experimental MF88 on line 7bis; the bogies proved troublesome
and were not used on later stocks. Incidentally the train referred to
as "MF2000" is now known as MF01.

I believe the overall train width on the Métro (latest trains) is about
2.45m, compared with London's subsurface Tube trains at around 2.9m and
small tube stocks at around 2.6m. That surprises me, as the latest
Paris trains feel much wider than a London deep tube. Maybe it's the
difference in height that gives that impression.

I suspect that the lack of wide gangways on 2009 stock is because
Bombardier/Metronet could meet the terms of the PPP contract without
them, and LU had no leverage under PPP to force any major design
changes. LU are certainly now pursuing more radical design options for
the replacement of 1972/73 stock, e.g. the Siemens offering described at
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...ept-train.html
--
Richard J.

Offramp January 7th 12 05:24 AM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

Are they articulated?

They are reticulated.

Recliner[_2_] January 7th 12 10:09 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message

Some people use "articulated" to mean permanently connected cars with
a wide interconnecting gangway, and others use the word to mean cars
that have a shared bogie. Anyone using the word on this newsgroup
should first define which definition they are using.

I was only aware of the shared-bogie definition of articulated trains.
In my view, the other definition is simply a misunderstanding.

On the Paris Métro all the trains from 1989 onwards have
interconnecting gangways but conventional bogies. The only trains
with shared bogies are the experimental MF88 on line 7bis; the bogies
proved troublesome
and were not used on later stocks. Incidentally the train referred to
as "MF2000" is now known as MF01.

The video I found certainly seems to show proper, articulated trains,
with shared bogies.

I suspect that the lack of wide gangways on 2009 stock is because
Bombardier/Metronet could meet the terms of the PPP contract without
them, and LU had no leverage under PPP to force any major design
changes. LU are certainly now pursuing more radical design options
for the replacement of 1972/73 stock, e.g. the Siemens offering
described at
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...ept-train.html

Yes, I agree that the PPP contract led to a timid, conventional design
for the 2009 stock. LU had long been been pursuing the idea of
articulated trains with open gangways for the replacement Victoria line
stock (the 'Space train' --
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/108328170/), but the
misconceived PPP contract put the kibosh on it.

[email protected] January 7th 12 12:48 PM

On 06/01/2012 12:48, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock may be
articulated, and would then have open gangways.

I always thought that was the initial plan, and was slightly surprised
when I found out they were not walk through.

[email protected] January 7th 12 12:49 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On 06/01/2012 15:59, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers
a visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Yes, I think so. The wheels are certainly right at the end of the
carriages, and appear to be on shared bogies.

They are. indeed. I have been on them.

[email protected] January 7th 12 04:43 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 13:49:28 +0000
" wrote:
On 06/01/2012 15:59, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers
a visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Yes, I think so. The wheels are certainly right at the end of the
carriages, and appear to be on shared bogies.

They are. indeed. I have been on them.

Perhaps next time you go you should take a closer look. They are not
articulated, there are no shared bogies.

B2003

[email protected] January 7th 12 04:44 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:59:16 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:40:45 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message
I suppose then the fact that they've managed it on the Paris Metro
who's loading gauge at 2.4m wide is even narrower than tube stock
must be down to magic then? Perhaps Harry Potter paid the engineers
a visit.

Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Yes, I think so. The wheels are certainly right at the end of the
carriages, and appear to be on shared bogies.

I suggest you see an optician.

B2003

[email protected] January 7th 12 04:45 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:57:45 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:48:51 on Fri, 6 Jan
2012, d remarked:
Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Dunno, how could we tell? (Other than the absence of the word in the
text for that page).

Oh I dunno, try looking at the picture?

Just a thought.

B2003

Eric[_3_] January 7th 12 06:45 PM

On 2012-01-07, d wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:57:45 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:48:51 on Fri, 6 Jan
2012,
d remarked:
Are they articulated?

Does this look articulated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_2000

Dunno, how could we tell? (Other than the absence of the word in the
text for that page).

Oh I dunno, try looking at the picture?

Or, better still, this pictu

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/IMG/j...4287_p1200.jpg

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry

Denis McMahon[_4_] January 7th 12 08:01 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:57:45 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Paris Metro MF2000

Are they articulated?

As far as I can tell, having looked at the posted images and played with
contrast, they're not articulated in the sense of adjacent cars sharing
the same bogey, no.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Recliner[_2_] January 8th 12 10:19 AM

wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock
may be articulated, and would then have open gangways.

I always thought that was the initial plan, and was slightly surprised
when I found out they were not walk through.

Yup, it is a disappointment. Had it not been for the PPP scheme, there's
a reasonable chance that the 2009 stock would have been based on the
space train ideas, with articulation, wider carriages, open gangways and
maybe even some form of air cooling.

Roland Perry January 8th 12 12:37 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

In message , at 19:45:42 on Sat, 7
Jan 2012, Eric remarked:
Or, better still, this pictu

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/IMG/j...4287_p1200.jpg

That's a much better picture.

Recliner[_2_] January 9th 12 10:53 AM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 19:45:42 on Sat,
7 Jan 2012, Eric remarked:
Or, better still, this pictu

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/IMG/j...4287_p1200.jpg

That's a much better picture.

If those are indeed two separate twin-axle bogies, they're very close to
the ends of the carriages, which means there won't be much relative
movement between them (compared to normal carriages with much more
overhang). This makes it much easier to fit open gangways.

[email protected] January 9th 12 11:10 AM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:53:53 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 19:45:42 on Sat,
7 Jan 2012, Eric remarked:
Or, better still, this pictu

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/IMG/j...4287_p1200.jpg

That's a much better picture.

If those are indeed two separate twin-axle bogies, they're very close to
the ends of the carriages, which means there won't be much relative
movement between them (compared to normal carriages with much more
overhang). This makes it much easier to fit open gangways.

First it was because tube trains are too narrow, then it was because they're
not articulated, now you're grasping at this straw. Just admit you were wrong.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 9th 12 12:20 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:53:53 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 19:45:42 on
Sat, 7 Jan 2012, Eric remarked:
Or, better still, this pictu

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/IMG/j...4287_p1200.jpg

That's a much better picture.

If those are indeed two separate twin-axle bogies, they're very
close to the ends of the carriages, which means there won't be much
relative movement between them (compared to normal carriages with
much more overhang). This makes it much easier to fit open gangways.

First it was because tube trains are too narrow, then it was because
they're not articulated, now you're grasping at this straw. Just
admit you were wrong.

If the bogies are very near the car ends, then the effect is close to
articulation. But with the circular profile of Tube tunnels, I'm certain
that reasonable sized open gangways are not feasible without true
articulation. If you look at the relative movement of Tube car ends, you
can see just how difficult it would be -- look at how much smaller the
gangway is compared to the outer body in S stock and 378s in order to
accommodate all the movement.

So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube stock in
the absence of articulation.

Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] January 9th 12 12:35 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

"Recliner" wrote in
:

If the bogies are very near the car ends, then the effect is close to
articulation. But with the circular profile of Tube tunnels, I'm certain
that reasonable sized open gangways are not feasible without true
articulation. If you look at the relative movement of Tube car ends, you
can see just how difficult it would be -- look at how much smaller the
gangway is compared to the outer body in S stock and 378s in order to
accommodate all the movement.

If cars have shared bogies, or bogies very near the ends, the centre throw
will be greater than with the current placement of the bogies. Given the
tight fit of tube trains in their tunnels I would imagine that that would
give a clearance problem on curves - unless you go for substantially
shorter (and more) cars, like the Space Train.

On the Waterloo and City they solved a similar problem by grinding part of
the flanges off the tunnel lining segments, but as I recall the Victoria
Line has concrete linings without flanges.

I had a look this morning at the width/height issue, and 3 average height
people can stand side-by-side in the vestibule area facing along the car.
So I think a wide gangway would probably allow two people to pass, provided
the gangway was about as high as the internal car body.

Peter CS

[email protected] January 9th 12 12:38 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:20:08 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube stock in
the absence of articulation.

... in your opinion. I think you're wrong.

B2003

[email protected] January 9th 12 12:40 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:35:17 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Campbell Smith wrote:
I had a look this morning at the width/height issue, and 3 average height
people can stand side-by-side in the vestibule area facing along the car.
So I think a wide gangway would probably allow two people to pass, provided
the gangway was about as high as the internal car body.

Yup. Give it 18 inches either side to allow for movement and you're sorted.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 9th 12 12:45 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

"Peter Campbell Smith" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in
:

[...]

The carriages in an articulated train will certainly have to be shorter,
roughly the spacing of the bogies in a conventional carriage (just as
Eurostar carriages are). That would be needed both for clearance reasons
as you say, and also to keep the axle loading down. In fact, it may be
made particularly short to allow for wider carriages, unless the linked
carriages are mounted on extended pivots, rather than the shared bogie.

With non-articulated stock with conventionally spaced bogies, there's a
lot of relative movement at the car ends on entry to curves, which the
gangway bellows have to absorb. This makes them thicker, and reduces the
gangway width. The same is true in vertical direction. So if you were to
try and install open gangways on a train like the 2009 stock, the
gangways would be very very cramped (narrow and low).

Recliner[_2_] January 9th 12 12:52 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:20:08 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube stock
in the absence of articulation.

.. in your opinion. I think you're wrong.

Yes, you've made that clear. If only the real world were as simple as
Boltar's world...

[email protected] January 9th 12 01:08 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:45:16 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
With non-articulated stock with conventionally spaced bogies, there's a
lot of relative movement at the car ends on entry to curves, which the
gangway bellows have to absorb. This makes them thicker, and reduces the
gangway width. The same is true in vertical direction. So if you were to
try and install open gangways on a train like the 2009 stock, the
gangways would be very very cramped (narrow and low).

The curves are very gentle on the victoria line except perhaps in the depot
but that wouldn't matter since there wouldn't be any passengers on board then.

B2003

[email protected] January 9th 12 01:59 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:52:57 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:20:08 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube stock
in the absence of articulation.

.. in your opinion. I think you're wrong.

Yes, you've made that clear. If only the real world were as simple as
Boltar's world...

You remind me of the typical can't do brit. Any excuse made for something
not being possible. And when presented with evidence that it can be done
you think up another reason why maybe it can't.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 9th 12 02:06 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:52:57 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:20:08 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube
stock in the absence of articulation.

.. in your opinion. I think you're wrong.

Yes, you've made that clear. If only the real world were as simple as
Boltar's world...

You remind me of the typical can't do brit. Any excuse made for
something not being possible. And when presented with evidence that
it can be done you think up another reason why maybe it can't.

With your uncanny ability to find instant solutions to all engineering
problems, you truly are the Brunel of our era. I just hope you are
putting this great gift to good use in your day job.

[email protected] January 9th 12 02:22 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:06:08 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
You remind me of the typical can't do brit. Any excuse made for
something not being possible. And when presented with evidence that
it can be done you think up another reason why maybe it can't.

With your uncanny ability to find instant solutions to all engineering

I don't need to , others already have. You obviously weren't one of them.

B2003

Mack January 10th 12 02:14 PM

On Jan 9, 1:20*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

First it was because tube trains are too narrow, then it was because
they're not articulated, now you're grasping at this straw. Just
admit you were wrong.

If the bogies are very near the car ends, then the effect is close to
articulation. But with the circular profile of Tube tunnels, I'm certain
that reasonable sized open gangways are not feasible without true
articulation. If you look at the relative movement of Tube car ends, you
can see just how difficult it would be -- look at how much smaller the
gangway is compared to the outer body in S stock and 378s in order to
accommodate all the movement.

So, sorry Boltar, you won't be seeing open gangways in LU Tube stock in
the absence of articulation.

Wrong. The original plan to have walk though Tube trains did not use
articulation. what they did instead was make the cars shorter so it
could flex better. The original S Stock was not designed for the SSL
but the Victoria Line. The idea being you went from 8 cars to 12 cars
with silmar train lengths.

Problem was this was being done just before PPP, which when Metronet
came in and saw the design was a risk they weren't will to run, so the
project was put on the back burner. Meaning the 09ts was designed and
lessons learnt from the S stock SSL version were put into practise and
are now being built.

Recliner[_2_] January 10th 12 04:41 PM

wrote in message

[...]

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying (at
least Boltar is clear). Are you really saying that the S Stock was
designed for Tube gauge tunnels? And how would the 2009 stock be
designed based on lessons learned from the S stock, given that the 2009
stock went into service first? Both were designed at about the same
time, so it's hard to see how lessons learned from either could help the
other's design. And how would having lots of short, non-articulated
carriages facilitate open gangways or make it 'flex' better? Surely
that proposal for more, shorter carriages was also based on them being
articulated (which is why you have shorter carriages in the first
place)?

Aren't you getting mixed up with the articulated 'space train' concept,
which was indeed planned for the Victoria line before the PPP came in
and sidelined it, but which may be resurrected for the 1972 and 1973
replacement stock?

Mack January 12th 12 02:21 PM

On Jan 10, 5:41*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"Mack" wrote in message

[...]

The replacement Victoria Stock, named the S Stock was developed
initially. The S stood for Space and was an early 90's project. They
were looking out the box with installing OHLE equipment on the entire
Victoria line along with this new fleet. Work on the intrastructure
stopped due to costs but work on the fleet continued. They also looked
at making an SSL version of the S stock, but this was after the
initial Tube version started.

The S stock actually went through a few periods of development but
nothing came to much for the Tube version. The 09ts was less inventive
evolution of the Tube fleet rather than a revolution. The development
wasn't wasted as was put into the S stock for the SSL lines.

I think I wasn't be as clear as the original S stock was the Victoria
Line fleet, which feed into the development of the 09ts in a limited
sense. But most of the work was transferred over to what we know call
the S stock for the SSL lines.

[email protected] January 12th 12 02:29 PM

Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:21:30 -0800 (PST)
Mack wrote:
were looking out the box with installing OHLE equipment on the entire
Victoria line along with this new fleet.

Some ideas should stay in the box because they're just a little bit daft.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] January 12th 12 02:34 PM

"Mack" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, this was the articulated "Space train" I mentioned. It's how they'd
have managed to install open gangways in the small Tube gauge. Let's
hope we get something like it to replace the 1972, 73 and 92 stocks.

The S stock actually went through a few periods of development but
nothing came to much for the Tube version. The 09ts was less inventive
evolution of the Tube fleet rather than a revolution.

Yes, that's certainly true. In fact, from the passenger point of view, I
don't think the 2009 stock is any advance on the 1967 stock, or even of
the superbly comfortable 1938 stock. I know it has some technical
advantages, like regen brakes and more advanced ATO, but it's less
comfortable and less reliable than the stock it replaced, without
providing any extra space.

At least the S stock is air-conditioned and has open gangways, even if
it's not really much of a revolution in other ways. Even the top speed
is no more than the A stock originally could do.