Old January 10th 12, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default waterloo - west ealing and back in the evening

Hi

I have an evening meeting, start 5:30 pm and expected to end about 8:00
pm or 8:30 pm a short distance from West Ealing tomorrow.

I'll probably be arriving at Waterloo from Portsmouth. Portsmouth -
Basingstoke - Reading - Paddington is an option, but I'm not sure if it's
permitted on a Travelcard from Portsmouth.

So I'm assuming Bakerloo line from Waterloo to Paddington, and then main
line services between Paddington and West Ealing.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Old January 10th 12, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
09:52:43 on Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Denis McMahon
remarked:
I'll probably be arriving at Waterloo from Portsmouth. Portsmouth -
Basingstoke - Reading - Paddington is an option, but I'm not sure if it's
permitted on a Travelcard from Portsmouth.

Portsmouth-London is CW+LB CW+SC CW+SC+LB CW+SD+LB LP PD none of which
go as far west as Reading or Basingstoke.

Roughly speaking:

CW is the south coast, LB is Thameslink (to Brighton), PD is the main
line to Waterloo and the rest fill in some/most of the gaps in between.
Old January 10th 12, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Denis McMahon" wrote:
Hi

I have an evening meeting, start 5:30 pm and expected to end about 8:00
pm or 8:30 pm a short distance from West Ealing tomorrow.

I'll probably be arriving at Waterloo from Portsmouth. Portsmouth -
Basingstoke - Reading - Paddington is an option, but I'm not sure if it's
permitted on a Travelcard from Portsmouth.

So I'm assuming Bakerloo line from Waterloo to Paddington, and then main
line services between Paddington and West Ealing.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Not really - it's by far and away the obvious route, and you'll be on the
Bakerloo line before the 'rush hour' really kicks in.

Only thing that comes to mind is changing at Clapham Jn for Victoria, then
bus (36 or 436) up to Paddington, should you wish to avoid the Tube.

Old January 10th 12, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Denis McMahon" wrote in message
.com...
Hi

I have an evening meeting, start 5:30 pm and expected to end about 8:00
pm or 8:30 pm a short distance from West Ealing tomorrow.

I'll probably be arriving at Waterloo from Portsmouth. Portsmouth -
Basingstoke - Reading - Paddington is an option, but I'm not sure if it's
permitted on a Travelcard from Portsmouth.

So I'm assuming Bakerloo line from Waterloo to Paddington, and then main
line services between Paddington and West Ealing.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Depends on where in West Ealing. If it's south of the Uxbridge Road it's
worth remembering that South Ealing/Northfields/Boston Manor on the
Piccadilly serve that part of the world.

Also depends where your train from Portsmouth stops on its' way into London.
Wimbledon gets you onto the District up to Earls Court and thence the
Piccadilly. Clapham Junction could be used to get on a Hounslow train back
to Kew Bridge (65 bus up South Ealing Road) or Brentford (whatever replaced
the 655 trolleybus(!)) up Boston Manor Road if either of those roads suit
your destination. Clapham Junction could also be used to go to West
Brompton for the District to Earls Court if the Pompey stops at CJ rather
than Wimbledon.

Old January 10th 12, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Graham Harrison) wrote:

[...]

That route would be somewhat slower than via Waterloo.

--
Colin Rosenstiel