Old December 6th 15, 09:13 AM
Junior Member

Default Crossrail West Ealing

My son wants to buy a flat near West Ealing as he says it will benefit from Crossrail.
I looked this up on their website and can see a new station is being built but there will still only be 4 tains an hour and it will take just 3 minutes off the travelling time to Paddington. The trains will be longer so maybe the journey will be more comfortable.
I do not live in London can anyone explain the reasons why Crossrail will be so beneficial to places like West Ealing?
Thanks

Old December 6th 15, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:13:58 on Sun, 6
Dec 2015, elstep remarked:
My son wants to buy a flat near West Ealing as he says it will benefit
from Crossrail.
I looked this up on their website and can see a new station is being
built but there will still only be 4 tains an hour and it will take just
3 minutes off the travelling time to Paddington. The trains will be
longer so maybe the journey will be more comfortable.
I do not live in London can anyone explain the reasons why Crossrail
will be so beneficial to places like West Ealing?

Because you'll be able to do direct journeys much further than
Paddington in one direction and Ealing in the other.
Old December 6th 15, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/12/2015 10:13, elstep wrote:
My son wants to buy a flat near West Ealing as he says it will benefit
from Crossrail.
I looked this up on their website and can see a new station is being
built but there will still only be 4 tains an hour and it will take just
3 minutes off the travelling time to Paddington. The trains will be
longer so maybe the journey will be more comfortable.
I do not live in London can anyone explain the reasons why Crossrail
will be so beneficial to places like West Ealing?
Thanks

It'll make property prices go up. Your son is probably a little late to
the party.
Old December 8th 15, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-12-07, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 11:13:58 +0100, elstep
wrote:

My son wants to buy a flat near West Ealing as he says it will benefit
from Crossrail.
I looked this up on their website and can see a new station is being
built but there will still only be 4 tains an hour and it will take just
3 minutes off the travelling time to Paddington. The trains will be
longer so maybe the journey will be more comfortable.
I do not live in London can anyone explain the reasons why Crossrail
will be so beneficial to places like West Ealing?
Thanks

Shortens journey times to stations beyond West Ealing.

Increases capacity on routes that are chronically overloaded.

Provides relief to busy tube services especially the Central Line.

Gives a wide range of direct services right across London and into the
central area from places where people have to change between main line
and tube services.

The property market in London is highly attuned to how effective the
public transport network is. New transport links instantly drive up
house prices and trigger development in areas near improved routes.
This effect is particularly acute now but has existed for a long time.
The extension of the railways and tubes created vast new suburbs as
journey times fell compared to road transport services.

unfortunately here in south east london where the overground runs there
is no space for vast new suburbs, so we are getting blocks of ugly flats
probably the slums of the future, many of which have north or northeast
facing balconies. From my POV the density is getting too high, the estate
that was demolished at the elephant is just being replaced with expensive
but equally crowded flats, you look out of your 450K window, and what do
you see, more 450K windows, ad nauseam......

--
Martin