London Banter

-   -   TfL use of English (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12876-tfl-use-english.html)

Basil Jet[_2_] January 26th 12 10:56 AM

TfL use of English

My weekly engineering email from Tfl tells me "On Saturday and Sunday,
Farringdon station is closed in order to improve the station."
Well I know it's not the best of stations, but I'd hardly call closing
it an improvement.

Offramp January 30th 12 07:27 PM

TfL use of English

On Jan 26, 11:56*am, Basil Jet wrote:
My weekly engineering email from Tfl tells me "On Saturday and Sunday,
Farringdon station is closed in order to improve the station."
Well I know it's not the best of stations, but I'd hardly call closing
it an improvement.

Not many people at TfL can speak good English.
My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

LOROL!!

Paul Cummins[_4_] January 30th 12 08:58 PM

TfL use of English

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

Walter Briscoe January 30th 12 09:43 PM

TfL use of English

In message of Mon,
30 Jan 2012 21:58:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Cummins usethebl@sted
telephone.invalid writes
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

On some London Underground platforms, while waiting for a train, I hear
something like "Ladies and gentleman, please stand behind the yellow
line at all times for your safety". How do I comply and board a train?
--
Walter Briscoe

Basil Jet[_2_] January 30th 12 10:45 PM

TfL use of English

On 2012\01\30 22:43, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In .domain of Mon,
30 Jan 2012 21:58:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Cumminsusethebl@sted
telephone.invalid writes
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

On some London Underground platforms, while waiting for a train, I hear
something like "Ladies and gentleman, please stand behind the yellow
line at all times for your safety". How do I comply and board a train?

Has anyone mentioned dogs and escalators yet?

Peter Smyth January 30th 12 10:57 PM

TfL use of English

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

In message of Mon,
30 Jan 2012 21:58:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Cummins usethebl@sted
telephone.invalid writes
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

On some London Underground platforms, while waiting for a train, I hear
something like "Ladies and gentleman, please stand behind the yellow
line at all times for your safety". How do I comply and board a train?

I believe you are expected to board the train backwards, thus still being
behind the line.

Peter Smyth

redcat January 30th 12 11:23 PM

TfL use of English

On 1/30/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On 30/01/2012 21:58, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

Ring the bell?

I adore signage in the UK. Getting off the LHR - MAN flight we met a
sign that read "Do not place fud here" So now we know LOL cats work at
MAN airport!

NYC has good ones: Near Washington Sq Park - "Unnecessary Honking
Prohibited"

By nearly every bus stop: "No Standing", also "No Strollers"

Public transportation signage is a culture like no other.

redcat January 30th 12 11:24 PM

TfL use of English

On 1/30/2012 7:10 PM, wrote:
On 30/01/2012 21:58, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

Ring the bell?

Wouldn't that be distracting?

Richard J.[_3_] January 30th 12 11:26 PM

TfL use of English

wrote on 31 January 2012
00:10:30 ...
On 30/01/2012 21:58, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to [say] "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

Ah, yes, the gender-specific "his" had to go.

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

Ring the bell?

No, that distracts his attention from his job which is to get to the
next meal break as fast as possible.
--
Richard J.