Old February 7th 12, 08:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default DLR platform display clocks

On 7/2/12 21:07, in article , "Roland Perry"
wrote:

In message , at 20:44:11 on Tue, 7
Feb 2012, Stephen Furley remarked:
The second picture on this page:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml

Shows a tuning coil at Rugby, which I think was the one for the time signal.
Low frequencies tend to require large coils, but I've never seen anything
like this.

It seems to say that was for the 16KHz submarine transmissions, but MSF
is on 60KHz. (Or is the former a typo?)

I don't know; I seem to remember that it said that the time signal was the
only thing still (then) being transmitted from Rugby, but it isn't totally
clear whether this coil was for he time signal, or for some other service by
then ceased. Was there anything transmitted on a lower frequency than the
time signal?

Old February 7th 12, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2012\02\07 19:41, Star Fury wrote:

I wonder what the source of the authoritative time for the UK Railway
actually is, now?

At least one railway company gave its staff Eurochron radio controlled
watches which got their signal from Mainflingen, Germany.

Surely from the atomic clocks at Anthorn, Cumbria? The UK's radio
time signal was formerly transmitted from the BBC Long Wave
transmitter near Rugby, but moved to Anthorn in 2007.

Old February 7th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:44:11 +0000, Stephen Furley
wrote:

On 7/2/12 12:20, in article , "Roland Perry"
wrote:

at 13:10:49 on Sun, 5 Feb 2012, 222103 remarked:
How are clocks synchronised on the real railway?

The original digital ones were synched to "Rugby" (now located at
Anthorn in Cumbria).

Analogue ones are increasing synchronised to the "correct twice a day"
source, popularly known as "stopped".

The second picture on this page:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml

Shows a tuning coil at Rugby, which I think was the one for the time signal.
Low frequencies tend to require large coils, but I've never seen anything
like this.

Cop this one then :-
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/...-mil-tx-rx.htm
(tuning coil about 3/4 down the page)
now recycled by the Russian navy.
Old February 7th 12, 09:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 20:44:11 on Tue, 7
Feb 2012, Stephen Furley remarked:
The second picture on this page:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml

Shows a tuning coil at Rugby, which I think was the one for the time signal.
Low frequencies tend to require large coils, but I've never seen anything
like this.

It seems to say that was for the 16KHz submarine transmissions, but MSF
is on 60KHz. (Or is the former a typo?)

I don't know; I seem to remember that it said that the time signal was the
only thing still (then) being transmitted from Rugby, but it isn't totally
clear whether this coil was for he time signal, or for some other service by
then ceased. Was there anything transmitted on a lower frequency than the
time signal?

Down to 11.9 kHz :-
http://www.smeter.net/stations/vlf-stations.php
currently 19.6kHz in Cumbria ("Combria") for the UK

Rugby used to have 16kHz :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unlg2gY2Zrs
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...io/index.shtml
Old February 7th 12, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:13:50 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2012\02\07 19:41, Star Fury wrote:

I wonder what the source of the authoritative time for the UK Railway
actually is, now?

At least one railway company gave its staff Eurochron radio controlled
watches which got their signal from Mainflingen, Germany.

Surely from the atomic clocks at Anthorn, Cumbria? The UK's radio
time signal was formerly transmitted from the BBC Long Wave
transmitter near Rugby, but moved to Anthorn in 2007.

MSF was formerly transmitted from the GPO/PO/BT site at Rugby from
1926-2007.
The BBC transmitter is at Droitwich (with two other LW transmitters at
Burghead and Westerglen) and carries an embedded time signal used by
electricity companies to control tariff-switching and by the
Environment Agency:-
http://www.alancordwell.co.uk/radio/teleswitch1.html
http://79.171.36.154/rts/tech_aspects.asp

Old February 8th 12, 06:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:40:22 on Tue, 7
Feb 2012, Stephen Furley remarked:
The second picture on this page:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml

Shows a tuning coil at Rugby, which I think was the one for the time signal.
Low frequencies tend to require large coils, but I've never seen anything
like this.

It seems to say that was for the 16KHz submarine transmissions, but MSF
is on 60KHz. (Or is the former a typo?)

I don't know; I seem to remember that it said that the time signal was the
only thing still (then) being transmitted from Rugby, but it isn't totally
clear whether this coil was for he time signal, or for some other service by
then ceased. Was there anything transmitted on a lower frequency than the
time signal?

The text adjacent to the picture talks about 16kHz submarine traffic.
Old February 8th 12, 06:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:13:50 on
Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Bruce remarked:
The UK's radio
time signal was formerly transmitted from the BBC Long Wave
transmitter near Rugby, but moved to Anthorn in 2007.

BBC Long Wave is from Droitwich, which is a frequency standard and also
carries some time signals, but MSF (Rugby/Anthorn) is a separate
transmission.
Old February 8th 12, 06:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2012\02\07 22:13, Bruce wrote:
Basil wrote:

On 2012\02\07 19:41, Star Fury wrote:

I wonder what the source of the authoritative time for the UK Railway
actually is, now?

At least one railway company gave its staff Eurochron radio controlled
watches which got their signal from Mainflingen, Germany.

Surely from the atomic clocks at Anthorn, Cumbria?

I don't think Eurochron (Junghans) ever produced a watch which received
the British time signal, BICBW. The Mainflingen signal is easily
receivable in most if not all of England (as opposed to Scotland).
Old February 8th 12, 08:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil wrote:

On 2012\02\07 19:41, Star Fury wrote:

I wonder what the source of the authoritative time for the UK Railway
actually is, now?

At least one railway company gave its staff Eurochron radio controlled
watches which got their signal from Mainflingen, Germany.

Surely from the atomic clocks at Anthorn, Cumbria?

I don't think Eurochron (Junghans) ever produced a watch which received
the British time signal, BICBW. The Mainflingen signal is easily
receivable in most if not all of England (as opposed to Scotland).

Thanks, a personal email also confirmed that the German signal has a
range in excess of 2000 km. Remarkable.