Old February 10th 12, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A good reason not to register your Oyster

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more than 22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at home?

B2003

Old February 10th 12, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to
citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more
than 22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to
hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at
home?

It doesn't say how many of those requests were granted, as it's not
automatic - though if the police have their wits about them they should
have worked out by now how to avoid submitting requests that don't hold
out much chance of success.

Perhaps worth noting this para:
---quote---
TfL said that it could not provide a breakdown of the number of requests
made by the Metropolitan police just for passengers' Oyster card data
alone, but a spokesman for London's police force told Guardian
Government Computing that the majority of requests were likely to be
related to Oyster information. Other than Oyster data, personal
information requested would include CCTV images and details of TfL
staff, he said.
---/quote---

Also, just because an Oyster card isn't registered doesn't mean that
data relating to it cannot be requested.

Old February 10th 12, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:31:22 -0000
"Mizter T" wrote:
Also, just because an Oyster card isn't registered doesn't mean that
data relating to it cannot be requested.

True, but the data protection act means they shouldn't keep card data from
topping up or addresses after processing refund vouchers. Of course "shouldn't"
and "don't" are very different beasts.

B2003

Old February 10th 12, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to
citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more than
22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at
home?

I have blinds on my windows to stop the sun from waking me up in the morning

what other purpose do they serve?

tim

Old February 10th 12, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:49:35 -0000
"tim...." wrote:
wrote in message

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to
citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more than
22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at
home?

I have blinds on my windows to stop the sun from waking me up in the morning

You sleep in your lounge?

what other purpose do they serve?

Next time you're having sex with your other half pull them up and let the
whole world watch if you think thats all they're for.

B2003

Old February 10th 12, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:49:35 on Fri, 10 Feb
2012, tim.... remarked:
I have blinds on my windows to stop the sun from waking me up in the morning

what other purpose do they serve?

Depends what overlooks your windows. I've seen houses where the only
thing stopping passers-by getting a good look at someone sat on the
toilet is a blind.
Old February 10th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim...." wrote:
wrote in message

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to
citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more than
22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to
hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at
home?

I have blinds on my windows to stop the sun from waking me up in the
morning

You sleep in your lounge?

but the light still gets into the bedroom (I live in a flat)

what other purpose do they serve?

Next time you're having sex with your other half pull them up and let the
whole world watch if you think thats all they're for.

I live on the third floor :-)

tim

Old February 10th 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
d wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._for_tfl_data/

"The Metropolitan police has requested Oyster card data relating to citizens
and other personal information from Transport for London (TfL) more than 22,000
times since 2008"

And if anyone brings up the old cliche about "if you've nothing to hide.."
etc, can I assume you don't have curtains or blinds in your windows at home?

I'm not sure that the card being registered or not matters; if you catch
a suspect with card #123456, you ask for the details of where card #123456
has been.

Cheers,

--
Mike Bristow
Old February 10th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:42:21 on Fri, 10 Feb
2012, tim.... remarked:
Next time you're having sex with your other half pull them up and let the
whole world watch if you think thats all they're for.

I live on the third floor :-)

It all depends on location. I looked at a house where the 3rd floor
bedroom windows were about ten feet directly across a shared drive from
next door's 3rd floor bedroom windows. The building regs probably
wouldn't allow that any more.