London Banter

-   -   Blackfriars has re-opened (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12910-blackfriars-has-opened.html)

David Cantrell February 20th 12 09:38 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

In Victorian times, when every man wore a beard the size of a yew,
Britain ruled the world. In the early 20th century, when the beard
was trimmed to a moustache, we scraped through two world wars but
lost an empire. Today, when Mach3 Turbo multi-blades are the norm,
our national pride derives largely from beating the Swedes at
Olympic cycling.

Grow a beard. Your country needs you.

Paul Scott[_3_] February 20th 12 09:48 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight advance
on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while ago,
suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new underground
structures (and back of house facilities) either side of the platforms has
been undertaken. AIUI the decision to defer opening was very last minute,
so does anyone know the root cause?

Paul S

Roland Perry February 20th 12 10:31 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

In message , at 10:48:15 on
Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Paul Scott remarked:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight
advance on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while
ago, suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new
underground structures (and back of house facilities) either side of
the platforms has been undertaken. AIUI the decision to defer opening
was very last minute, so does anyone know the root cause?

A train I was on went through three weeks ago, and it looked finished at
platform level. Lots blokes in hi-vis wandering around inspecting it.

When did they remove the temporary "tunnel" erected to protect the
through trains?

Paul Scott[_3_] February 20th 12 11:38 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

A train I was on went through three weeks ago, and it looked finished at
platform level. Lots blokes in hi-vis wandering around inspecting it.

When did they remove the temporary "tunnel" erected to protect the through
trains?

The protection shield was removed about 9 months ago, IIRC.

I see the BBC have attempted to describe the reopened tube station he

They have used an artists impression of the south bank rail station
entrance, and then wrongly described the tube station as having a new south
bank entrance.

(As of 1230 today, so I'll send them a critique...)

Paul S

Roland Perry February 20th 12 12:30 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

In message , at 12:38:15 on
Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

They have used an artists impression of the south bank rail station
entrance, and then wrongly described the tube station as having a new
south bank entrance.

Worse than that, don't you lose one Oyster "credit" if you use the
Blackfriars Thameslink Station as a footbridge to the tube, or am I
confused again?

Paul Scott[_3_] February 20th 12 01:20 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:38:15 on Mon,
20 Feb 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

They have used an artists impression of the south bank rail station
entrance, and then wrongly described the tube station as having a new
south bank entrance.

Worse than that, don't you lose one Oyster "credit" if you use the
Blackfriars Thameslink Station as a footbridge to the tube, or am I
confused again?

I think last time we collectively worked out that if you used the
Thameslink station as a simple footbridge across the river you'd pay some
sort of fare unless you were unfeasibly quick to get in and then out again,
(less than 2 mins IIRC), but if you continued onto the tube you'd be charged
normally as the north side NR and LU gatelines would function just like any
other OSI between modes.

Paul S

Paul Scott[_3_] February 20th 12 02:59 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Is the Southwark situation really a 'special charge' though, or is it the
same as what you'd be charged if you entered and left any station in the 2 -
30 min bracket? This is what we discussed regarding Blackfriars after FCC
mentioned on their website that using their station as a thoroughfare would
incur a 'penalty'. We came to the conclusion that it was no different to
any other station - just that people aren't in the habit of walking straight
through in most places. But apparently there are posters at Canary Wharf
advising of a 'pass through' charge?

Paul S

Paul Scott[_3_] February 20th 12 04:42 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

A train I was on went through three weeks ago, and it looked finished at
platform level. Lots blokes in hi-vis wandering around inspecting it.

When did they remove the temporary "tunnel" erected to protect the through
trains?

Interesting timelapse video has appeared on NR's site. The temporary tunnel
makes an appearance at one stage, but there's a heck of a lot of concrete
gone in since then...

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6264.aspx

Paul

Mizter T February 20th 12 11:58 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 1:30*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:38:15 on
Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

They have used an artists impression of the south bank rail station
entrance, and then wrongly described the tube station as having a new
south bank entrance.

Worse than that, don't you lose one Oyster "credit" if you use the
Blackfriars Thameslink Station as a footbridge to the tube, or am I
confused again?

You are, I'm afraid - when using Oyster PAYG, if you finish a Tube
journey at Blackfriars LU station, then if you wish you get 'free
passage' though Blackfriars NR/ Thameslink station i.e. across the
bridge over the river to the South Bank exit.

Likewise if you enter Blackfriars NR/ Thameslink station at the South
Bank entrance, walk across on the bridge and exit, then enter the LU
station you won't get charged anything extra for traversing through
the NR/ Thameslink station.

I tested the first scenario this evening just gone (i.e. Monday) using
a 'virgin' Oyster card - it was loaded with GBP2, enough for a zone 1
Tube journey - I started at a zone 1 Tube station, got off at
Blackfriars LU and exited via the LU gates, then entered the NR gates,
walked across the bridge and exited again at the new South Bank exit -
the walk through the NR/ Thameslink station cost nowt extra.

(For those who don't know, on the north side of the river, there are
seperate gatelines for the LU and NR stations.)

I have to say that, coming out of the LU gates I'm not sure there'll
be that much of an draw to walking along the platform through the NR/
Thameslink station rather than just walking across Blackfriars Bridge
- that is when the pavement on the eastern side reopens (it's closed
to facilitate station rebuilding works) - unless of course it's
precipitating felines and canines. When coming from the South Bank
then I guess the new entrance might draw more people in, particularly
if it features an LU roundel and signage - I didn't look for one today
(but if it's planned then I doubt it's there yet).

Mizter T February 21st 12 12:15 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 2:55*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
[Blackfriars LU and NR]

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. *There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. *The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Sorry Paul but that isn't quite right w.r.t. the situation at
Southwark.

When using Oyster PAYG, you now automatically get free passage through
Southwark Tube station - i.e. from the Waterloo East entrance to the
main Southwark Tube station entrance (on the corner of The Cut and
Blackfriars Rd) or vice versa.

This applies quite independently of any Oyster PAYG journey on NR you
may have just made - i.e. if getting off a Southeastern train at
Waterloo East - or any Oyster PAYG journey on NR you might be about to
make - i.e. if about to get on a Southeastern train at Waterloo East.

Indeed, you needn't make any Oyster PAYG journey on NR to or from
Waterloo East whatsoever to benefit from this - i.e. if you have a
paper ticket for a journey to/from Waterloo East, you can use your
Oyster card to get from Waterloo East to the main Southwark Tube
entrance or vice versa. You can also do this with an Oyster card with
zero (GBP0.00) credit on it.

And yes, I have tested it on a number of occasions...

In other words, there's no OSI required as part of the mix to use an
Oyster card to walk through Southwark Tube station. At Blackfriars
however, it's different as one either needs to have just made a Tube
journey, or needs to be about to make one, in order to be able to walk
through the Thameslink station and across the bridge for free.

Mizter T February 21st 12 12:29 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 4:54*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:59:23 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. *There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. *The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Is the Southwark situation really a 'special charge' though, or is it the
same as what you'd be charged if you entered and left any station in the 2 -
30 min bracket?

There is a special charge - I only realised there was when I saw an
official document. It's a platform ticket charged at 20p rather than
£1. I don't know what the NR rate is for a platform ticket these days.

The 20p charge is for a printed/paper platform ticket (accessible on
Tube ticket machines via the 'Extensions & other tickets' option or
something like that). As I describe in my other post there's no charge
whatsoever when using Oyster for walking through Southwark Tube
station from one entrance to the other (I haven't tried entering and
then exiting via the same gateline at Southwark so it's possible that
ain't free).

This is what we discussed regarding Blackfriars after FCC
mentioned on their website that using their station as a thoroughfare would
incur a 'penalty'. *We came to the conclusion that it was no different to
any other station - just that people aren't in the habit of walking straight
through in most places. *But apparently there are posters at Canary Wharf
advising of a 'pass through' charge?

No it is different to the "change your mind / there is no train
service" rule when using Oyster PAYG to exit having previously entered
at the same station.

I'm not aware of any issue at Canary Wharf but I'm due there on Friday
afternoon so I shall keep my eyes open.

At Canary Wharf there were (not sure if they're still there) posters
which used the phrase "platform ticket" to describe the charge that a
punter would be levied on their Oyster card for entering at one
gateline and exiting at another - one can well imagine people doing
this between the main gateline at the western end and the eastern
Upper Bank Street gateline, what with all the direct subterranean
links to adjacent offices and the shopping malls that lead off from
the Tube station complex. (I imagine the phrase "platform ticket" was
used simply because it conveyed the meaning well, rather than being a
super accurate technical description.)

Mizter T February 21st 12 12:34 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 10:48*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote:

Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight advance
on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while ago,
suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new underground
structures (and back of house facilities) either side of the platforms has
been undertaken. * AIUI the decision to defer opening was very last minute,
so does anyone know the root cause?

Dunno, but you're right about the massive building works - the new
'ceiling' above the platforms looks like a considerable structure. All
rather different from the Blackfriars LU of old.

[email protected] February 21st 12 08:57 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

What shows on Oyster journey history?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul February 23rd 12 07:00 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 21, 1:34*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 20, 10:48*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"David Cantrell" wrote:

Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

Or depending on point of view only 10 weeks late, which is a slight advance
on the planned 11 weeks late announced in December!

All the same, photos I've seen online, and plans I downloaded a while ago,
suggest a massive amount of building work to form the new underground
structures (and back of house facilities) either side of the platforms has
been undertaken. * AIUI the decision to defer opening was very last minute,
so does anyone know the root cause?

Dunno, but you're right about the massive building works - the new
'ceiling' above the platforms looks like a considerable structure. All
rather different from the Blackfriars LU of old.

You wouldn't know that Blackfriars has re-opened if you passed through
Kings Cross station today. Coming up from the Victoria Line, there is
a prominent poster saying "Blackfriars Tube Station will reopen on
26th February 2012". This therefore gives the impression that the
station is still closed. Still, you can't expect London Underground
to always provide accurate information to its customers.

Clive Page[_3_] February 23rd 12 10:13 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I
found out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may
be escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

--
Clive Page

Paul Scott[_3_] February 23rd 12 10:33 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Clive Page" wrote in message
On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I found
out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may be
escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

There are definitely escalators both sides, even if not currently visible.
On the southbound side the escalators are either side of the staircase
within a common structure; on the northbound side the stairs are completely
separate, the escalators run parallel to the stairs but are about 10m nearer
the centre of the station (ie further to the east and broadly inline with
the end of the bay platforms). There are also two lifts either side of the
north station, those for the northbound side (and the bays) are between the
stairs and escalators, IYSWIM...

To get your bearings, the tops and bottoms of all the lifts and stairs are
broadly in line with one another if you imagined lines joining them right
across the concourse and platforms at 90 degrees to the line of the
bridge...

Paul S

[email protected] February 23rd 12 08:21 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On 23/02/2012 11:13, Clive Page wrote:
On 20/02/2012 10:38, David Cantrell wrote:
Blackfriars underground station has re-opened a week early.

It's still a pretty unpleasant place to change from tube to NR, as I
found out yesterday.

The tube station is indeed much improved and has a new set of escalators
up to ground level, replacing the old ones. But then to get to the
Thameslink platforms, instead of the old staircase of half-a-dozen short
flights, there is a new staircase. I suppose the only advantage is that
the new one is a straight run, so you can see how long it is (equivalent
to going up to the 3rd floor, I'd guess). There is a lift, but I didn't
consider it as I was in a hurry to catch a train. I suppose there may be
escalators planned, but I couldn't work out where they might be located.

I was just there this evening. Blackfriars NR and Blackfriars tube
station are completely separate in terms of fares. This means that, if
you wish to walk the length of the station from the South Bank entrance,
you have to tap in. Once you get to the other side, you have to tap out
again. Then you have to tap in again to enter Blackfriars tube station.
These will all be charged as separate fares. There is no grace time from
tapping out at Brackfriars NR to Blackfriars tube station.

You would have at least thought that they would have thought of this
earlier.

Recliner[_2_] February 23rd 12 08:45 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:21:08 +0000, "
wrote:

[...]

I thought OSI applied?

Paul Scott[_3_] February 24th 12 09:36 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

wrote in message

I was just there this evening. Blackfriars NR and Blackfriars tube station
are completely separate in terms of fares. This means that, if you wish to
walk the length of the station from the South Bank entrance, you have to
tap in. Once you get to the other side, you have to tap out again. Then
you have to tap in again to enter Blackfriars tube station. These will all
be charged as separate fares. There is no grace time from tapping out at
Brackfriars NR to Blackfriars tube station.

NO, it's a normal OSI between the gatelines.

In any case, the scenario you are suggesting is contrary to FCC's published
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across the
river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a
continuation by tube would be charged normally.

Others have been out and tested this, and proved that is indeed what
happens.

Paul S

[email protected] February 24th 12 09:44 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:36:20 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across the
river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I surprised.

B2003

[email protected] February 24th 12 03:09 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Paul Scott" wrote:
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across
the river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I surprised.

Now, now! That's like calling any two entrance gated station a toll bridge.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Scott[_3_] February 24th 12 03:14 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

wrote in message
In article , d ()
wrote:

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I surprised.

Now, now! That's like calling any two entrance gated station a toll
bridge.

I'd have gone with toll tunnel!, but as you suggest, and as pointed out by
others back in November, it works exactly the same as if you entered and
left any other barriered station between 2 and 30 mins later. (IIRC someone
posted those exact figures.)

Paul

Michael R N Dolbear February 24th 12 08:11 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

Paul Scott wrote

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I

surprised.

Now, now! That's like calling any two entrance gated station a toll

bridge.

I'd have gone with toll tunnel!, but as you suggest, and as pointed

out by
others back in November, it works exactly the same as if you entered

and
left any other barriered station between 2 and 30 mins later. (IIRC

someone
posted those exact figures.)

Guildford station is or was a free bridge. When I last noticed there
was a machine that dispensed free platform tickets.

Any recent news or other examples ?

--
Mike D

[email protected] February 24th 12 08:53 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

wrote:

[...]

Earlier in the thread Mizter T confirmed there was no charge for
walking through the NR station provided you continued on a LU journey.
A blog article has also confirmed this situation.

I can assure you that NR to LU at Blackfriars is an OSI and has been
since PAYG was extended to NR. I have seen the official paperwork that
says this.

What happened on your exploration that means you were charged for
crossing the NR station and then changing to LU? What were you
charged on your Oyster card or are you just speculating?

I had to go to the ticket window and ask what happened as all of a
sudden the £3 that I just charged on the South Bank side onto my card,
which I used to enter the station, was gone.

Steve Dulieu[_3_] February 24th 12 08:57 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Paul Scott" wrote:
info, back in December, when the south entrance opened. Although they
mentioned that a 'penalty' would apply if you simply took a walk across
the
river via the mainline platforms, they also explicitly stated that a

A toll bridge. How community spirited of them. Why arn't I surprised.

A toll bridge that's free to TfL employees. Most excellent..:-)

Cheers, Steve.

Richard J.[_3_] February 24th 12 11:28 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

wrote on 24 February 2012
21:53:06 ...
wrote:

[...]

Which ticket window, and which gates had you gone through by then?
--
Richard J.

lonelytraveller February 25th 12 08:36 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:

(a) The south entrance is nicely covered in brickwork, and
fascinatingly inside the bridge itself, visibly. But there used to be
really pretty arches -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/6716393459/

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/ima...o117,o97,j.jpg

Were these destroyed? And why were they not reconstructed, or exposed
for display for the station (particularly the first)?

(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

(c) The ticket office has a balcony above it, and there's a blue tube.
Its subtle, but on the mockups, there is a public spiral staircase
round the blue tube. Whats it for, and what is the purpose of the
balcony?

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1...friars1mp5.jpg

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...65c77bfc06.jpg

(d) The ticket office used to be 1 floor below ground level
(connecting to the passage under the road), and now its on ground
level, so how come the stairs seem to be the same length, and only
about one floor long?

[email protected] February 25th 12 03:12 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On 25/02/2012 09:36, lonelytraveller wrote:
[...]

The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

Roland Perry February 25th 12 03:33 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

In message , at 16:12:25 on Sat,
25 Feb 2012, " remarked:

The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

...LL ?

Paul Scott[_3_] February 25th 12 03:57 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:

(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

I have some downloaded planning drawings for this stuff, and the difference
seems to be that the east bound side goes up to an emergency exit at the
Queen Victoria street level, but the westbound side heads off underneath the
rail station's basement level, with an emergency exit to the street at a
similar level to the platforms, possibly at the level of the embankment -
Upper Thames St maybe? (There is another short staircase further down the
passageway which raises the passageway back up to approximately platform
level.)

Paul S

lonelytraveller February 26th 12 11:37 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/ima...d218aaa2424be0...

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...64771362/30064...

(d) The ticket office used to be 1 floor below ground level
(connecting to the passage under the road), and now its on ground
level, so how come the stairs seem to be the same length, and only
about one floor long?

The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

St. Pancras International?

Why? St. Pancras International is a huge victorian trainshed faced
with a massive victorian gothic hotel.

lonelytraveller February 26th 12 11:39 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 25, 4:57*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"lonelytraveller" wrote in

Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:
(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

I have some downloaded planning drawings for this stuff, and the difference
seems to be that the east bound side goes up to an emergency exit at the
Queen Victoria street level, but the westbound side heads off underneath the
rail station's basement level, with an emergency exit to the street at a
similar level to the platforms, possibly at the level of the embankment -
Upper Thames St maybe? *(There is another short staircase further down the
passageway which raises the passageway back up to approximately platform
level.)

Paul S

How close does that go to the Waterloo & City line?

I'm thinking passive provision for an interchange...

Roland Perry February 26th 12 12:13 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

In message
, at
04:37:53 on Sun, 26 Feb 2012, lonelytraveller
remarked:
The new Blackfriars reminds me somewhat of SPI.

St. Pancras International?

Low Level (nee Thameslink) I expect.

[email protected] February 26th 12 05:06 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On 26/02/2012 12:37, lonelytraveller wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:12 pm,
wrote:
[...]

For Thameslink, I meant.

[email protected] February 26th 12 05:07 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On 26/02/2012 12:39, lonelytraveller wrote:
On Feb 25, 4:57 pm, "Paul
wrote:
"lonelytraveller"nospam_lonelytraveller_nos...@ho tmail.co.uk wrote in

[...]

I thought that they're not into that, however.

[email protected] February 27th 12 10:42 AM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:10:53 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I'd have gone with toll tunnel!, but as you suggest, and as pointed out by
others back in November, it works exactly the same as if you entered and
left any other barriered station between 2 and 30 mins later. (IIRC someone
posted those exact figures.)

the rules for same station exit are on the TfL website. I guess it may
be possible that the TOCs apply different criteria.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14870.aspx

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

B2003

Paul Scott[_3_] February 27th 12 12:42 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Paul S

[email protected] February 27th 12 12:57 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:42:58 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates
so unless they're planning on jumping over or pushing through them or are
travelling to aberdeen how exactly is that going to help? Also we're constantly
reminded how many inspectors there are on the system.

B2003

Paul Scott[_3_] February 27th 12 03:23 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message

If you enter and leave at the same station then you shouldn't be charged
since you clearly have not made a journey worthy of the name. The fact
that you are charged just demonstrates the complete mean spiritedness of
the people in charge at TfL and the TOCs.

If you thought about this for more than a few seconds you'd realise the
charge is made to prevent people cancelling their journey by touching in,
then touching an out gate without passing through, then heading off into
the
sunset on a train, FOC..

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates
so unless they're planning on jumping over or pushing through them or are
travelling to aberdeen how exactly is that going to help?

You don't need to be going to Aberdeen. Anywhere ungated on any NR route
outside London would do; and there are many such places in Surrey, Sussex,
Kent etc etc...

Paul S

Paul Terry February 27th 12 03:30 PM

Blackfriars has re-opened

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, wrote:

Almost all overground stations where Oysters are valid have ticket gates

DLR is ungated as are many NR stations.

Even NR stations that are gated have to have the gates locked open for
significant parts of the day because relatively few NR stations are
staffed throughout station opening hours.
--
Paul Terry