Old March 1st 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge - Paddington by cab

On 01/03/2012 09:22, ®i©ardo wrote:
On 29/02/2012 21:44, Graham Nye wrote:
On 29/02/2012 16:34, ®i©ardo wrote:
On 25/02/2012 01:01, Graham Nye wrote:

You could pick your
tickets up in advance to save hassle on the day. (You could also order
them on-line, although you are then committed to which station you
have to collect them from.)

Are you?

Well, having read the other replies, apparently not.

The XC website I use, after asking which station you wish to
collect your ticket from, says:

"Collect your ticket(s) from the ticket machine at [nominated station]."

Then gives the same message on the confirmation screen. There's no
suggestion that you can use other (connected) ticket machines.
But thanks for the tip.

My message on ticket collection was on my First Great Western
confirmation. However, 2 -3 years ago I was collecting from other than
the station that I had nominated for that purpose.

Yesterday I pre-ordered a ticket for next week for collection from my
home station and today I was able to pick it up from my destination
station. So the system is indeed more flexible that the website
message implies.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Old March 1st 12, 05:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 01/03/2012 18:48, Graham Nye wrote:

So the system is indeed more flexible that the website
message implies.

D'oh. s/that/than/

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Old March 2nd 12, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:44:47 -0000, Peter Smyth wrote:

XC only charge for TOD collection when there is a print at home alternative
available (which is free). Essentially that is for advance tickets that are
only valid on XC services. For any open tickets or tickets valid on more
than one TOC, you can still use TOD for free.

Can print at home tickets be used at stations with gatelines?

--
jhk
Old March 2nd 12, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:21:06 on
Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
XC only charge for TOD collection when there is a print at home alternative
available (which is free). Essentially that is for advance tickets that are
only valid on XC services. For any open tickets or tickets valid on more
than one TOC, you can still use TOD for free.

Can print at home tickets be used at stations with gatelines?

On National Rail: Yes, by showing them to the person manning the
gateline.

On Eurostar: Yes, they work the gates too.
Old March 2nd 12, 11:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Graham Nye
writes
On 01/03/2012 09:22, ®i©ardo wrote:
My message on ticket collection was on my First Great Western
confirmation. However, 2 -3 years ago I was collecting from other than
the station that I had nominated for that purpose.

Yesterday I pre-ordered a ticket for next week for collection from my
home station and today I was able to pick it up from my destination
station. So the system is indeed more flexible that the website
message implies.

It also used to be that you could use any credit card to activate the
ticket machine and then enter a reference number to collect your
tickets.

I used the Virgin ticket machines at Euston last Saturday and they
needed the specific credit card that I had booked with (which is a bit
inconvenient as I use a different credit for online bookings and don't
always carry it) and were extremely slow (from when the card was put in
it took upwards of a minute to bring up the ticket details on the
screen). On the other hand I didn't need to tap in a reference number.

--
Paul G
Typing from Kentish Town
Old March 3rd 12, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul G) wrote:

In message , Graham Nye
writes
[...]

My problem with the 3 Shere machines and may last credit card is that they
were perfectly happy to take money using the card but not to acknowledge it
for TOD. I mostly used the Scheidt & Bachmann machine which wasn't so fussy
and happy to give me my tickets but once it was out of order and I had to go
to a ticket window. That was how I found out I could get my tickets there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 4th 12, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul G writes:

In message , Graham Nye
writes
[...]

Have always wondered why they can't identify the booking from the card,
and save all the pain of entering a booking number. Often have 2 or 3
booking numbers as its usually cheaper to buy separate tickets for parts
of the journey than through tickets. Like they use to do at the cinema.

However, last time I went to the cinema, they needed the booking number.
Apparantly it was in case the card had been stolen after I had made the
online booking.

Was struggling to understand:
How someone who had stolen my card would know I had used it to buy at
cinema, ticket and even then which cinema I had made the booking at.

And if my card had been stolen, the last thing on my mind would be a
couple of 10 quid cinema seats.

Phil