Old February 26th 12, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge - Paddington by cab

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:
"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message

o.uk...

There is always the Northern Line to Moorgate or Kings Cross/St
Pancras, then the Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington.

Either has to be quicker than a taxi from London Bridge to Paddington..

Then there is the LUL/taxi option with the Northern Line to Euston and
a short taxi ride to Paddington ... ;-)

Why go down into the Northern? Thameslink to Moorgate

ITYM Farringdon?

Mornington Crescent!

Regards

Jonathan

Are you sure? Can't you only do that under Trellisian rules?

Old February 27th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I cant see the beginning of this thread for some reason but what's wrong
with carrying on to Charing Cross (or changing at London Bridge into a
Charing Cross train) and then using the Bakerloo (or the Circle from
Embankment) to reach Paddington?

Old February 27th 12, 05:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message

Another option is to bale at Gatwick (06.41) onto the GatEx (06.50),
arrive Victoria 07.20. Six minutes later into zone one, and risking a
change - and a Wessie! - but that much nearer to Paddington. Although
GatEx struggles to keep to a 30 minute timing in the peaks, which
unnerves me somewhat.

Still, twenty minutes in a cab should be sufficient for Victoria -
Paddington, especially as I don't mind running from the last set of
traffic lights or wherever. It's a fairly swift jaunt up Park Lane and
Edgware Road, normally. I can pick up my tickets in the +9 connection
at Gatwick

On a good day the 36 bus would make it from Victoria to Paddington in the 25
minutes available (I've done it in 15) so a taxi ought to make it.

I need to be in Splott, about a mile from Cardiff Central, for 10.30.
The 07.45 gets into Central for 09.48, and the 08.15 for 10.21. The
world wouldn't end if I was ten minutes late - it's not a job
interview - so my thoughts were to aim for the 07.45 (and walk at the
Cardiff end), with the 08.15 (and cab at the Cardiff end) as a back
up. I just have a nagging feeling that if I try this, I'll narrowly
miss the 07.45 (which will run perfectly), whilst the 08.15 will be
cancelled or heavily delayed, as often seems to happen when you're
already cutting it fine.....

The 0715 is the dodgy one because it gets cancelled if they are short of
sets. The 0815 rarely gets cancelled unless the service has fallen apart.

John

Old February 29th 12, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25/02/2012 01:01, Graham Nye wrote:
On 24/02/2012 19:05, Chris Read wrote:

If I arrive at London Bridge (National Rail) at 07.14 next Wednesday,
how would you rate my chances of getting to Paddington, by cab, for
the 07.45 departure to Cardiff?

I will need to pick up my ticket from a machine at Paddington, unless
I can do that in my four minute connection at Lewes.

Can't you buy tickets for the entire journey at your initial station?
Buying a through ticket should also get you your Tube ticket (shows an
extra + on your ticket) so you won't have to buy that separately.
(At an extortionate Ł4 each way - Boris doesn't like non-Oystered
non-Londoners passing through his territory.) You could pick your
tickets up in advance to save hassle on the day. (You could also order
them on-line, although you are then committed to which station you
have to collect them from.)

Are you? I've just ordered some tickets on-line and the blurb says:
"Tickets will be available to collect from a self-service ticket machine
at one of 900 UK stations 2 hours after booking."

Certainly in the past, when following a spate of vandalism to the ticket
machines at my then local station it disappeared from the list for
collecting from when booking on-line, I just quoted the next station
down the line and then, having booked the tickets collected them from my
then - no longer shown - home station.

If you can make Lewes 36' earlier you could catch the 05:29 into
London Victoria. That would give you a shorter, single journey on
the Circle line to Paddington, and plenty of time to make it in.

For those favouring the avoid London option note that:
1) the Redhill to Reading service is slow (lots of stops),
2) Sussex trains bypass Redhill, so extra changes are needed to
get there (e.g. Brighton or Gatwick).

--
Moving things in still pictures
Old February 29th 12, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"ŽiŠardo" wrote in message
news
Are you? I've just ordered some tickets on-line and the blurb says:
"Tickets will be available to collect from a self-service ticket machine
at one of 900 UK stations 2 hours after booking."

Certainly in the past, when following a spate of vandalism to the ticket
machines at my then local station it disappeared from the list for
collecting from when booking on-line, I just quoted the next station down
the line and then, having booked the tickets collected them from my then -
no longer shown - home station.

That's right, you can collect from anywhere with a TVM. [1] The purpose of
the selection is solely to make sure you don't make plans to pick up at a
station without one.

[1] Apparently some SN offers must be picked up from their own TVMs.

Paul S

Old February 29th 12, 04:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/02/2012 16:58, Paul Scott wrote:

"ŽiŠardo" wrote:
[snip]
Are you? I've just ordered some tickets on-line and the blurb says:
"Tickets will be available to collect from a self-service ticket
machine at one of 900 UK stations 2 hours after booking."

Certainly in the past, when following a spate of vandalism to the
ticket machines at my then local station it disappeared from the list
for collecting from when booking on-line, I just quoted the next
station down the line and then, having booked the tickets collected
them from my then - no longer shown - home station.

That's right, you can collect from anywhere with a TVM. [1] The purpose
of the selection is solely to make sure you don't make plans to pick up
at a station without one.

Indeed.

From the Trainline's FAQ:
http://help.thetrainline.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/1437/

---quote---
Which stations offer self-service ticket collection?

You don't need to pick up your tickets from the station you selected
when making a booking - You can collect from an enabled machine at any
one of the 1000 stations in the list below.
[...]
---/quote---

It's the same for all the other ticket sites, because this is how the
underlying ticket collection system (somewhat misleadingly named "Ticket
On Departure") works.

[1] Apparently some SN offers must be picked up from their own TVMs.

Though I do remember reading somewhere that despite this supposed
restriction, people had been able to pick up such tickets at non
Southern TVMs (though I wouldn't want to count on it).
Old February 29th 12, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 29/02/2012 16:58, Paul Scott wrote:

"ŽiŠardo" wrote:
[snip]
Are you? I've just ordered some tickets on-line and the blurb says:
"Tickets will be available to collect from a self-service ticket
machine at one of 900 UK stations 2 hours after booking."

Certainly in the past, when following a spate of vandalism to the
ticket machines at my then local station it disappeared from the list
for collecting from when booking on-line, I just quoted the next
station down the line and then, having booked the tickets collected
them from my then - no longer shown - home station.

That's right, you can collect from anywhere with a TVM. [1] The purpose
of the selection is solely to make sure you don't make plans to pick up
at a station without one.

Indeed.

From the Trainline's FAQ:
http://help.thetrainline.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/1437/

---quote---
Which stations offer self-service ticket collection?

You don't need to pick up your tickets from the station you selected
when making a booking - You can collect from an enabled machine at
any one of the 1000 stations in the list below.
[...]
---/quote---

It's the same for all the other ticket sites, because this is how the
underlying ticket collection system (somewhat misleadingly named
"Ticket On Departure") works.

[1] Apparently some SN offers must be picked up from their own TVMs.

Though I do remember reading somewhere that despite this supposed
restriction, people had been able to pick up such tickets at non
Southern TVMs (though I wouldn't want to count on it).

I could believe SN imposing the restriction because other TOCs would charge
them. That's why Cross Country (with no TVMs) charge for TOD.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 29th 12, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/02/2012 16:34, ŽiŠardo wrote:
On 25/02/2012 01:01, Graham Nye wrote:

You could pick your
tickets up in advance to save hassle on the day. (You could also order
them on-line, although you are then committed to which station you
have to collect them from.)

Are you?

Well, having read the other replies, apparently not.

The XC website I use, after asking which station you wish to
collect your ticket from, says:

"Collect your ticket(s) from the ticket machine at [nominated station]."

Then gives the same message on the confirmation screen. There's no
suggestion that you can use other (connected) ticket machines.
But thanks for the tip.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Old March 1st 12, 08:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/02/2012 21:44, Graham Nye wrote:
On 29/02/2012 16:34, ŽiŠardo wrote:
On 25/02/2012 01:01, Graham Nye wrote:

You could pick your
tickets up in advance to save hassle on the day. (You could also order
them on-line, although you are then committed to which station you
have to collect them from.)

Are you?

Well, having read the other replies, apparently not.

The XC website I use, after asking which station you wish to
collect your ticket from, says:

"Collect your ticket(s) from the ticket machine at [nominated station]."

Then gives the same message on the confirmation screen. There's no
suggestion that you can use other (connected) ticket machines.
But thanks for the tip.

My message on ticket collection was on my First Great Western
confirmation. However, 2 -3 years ago I was collecting from other than
the station that I had nominated for that purpose.

--
Moving things in still pictures