Old February 24th 12, 06:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge - Paddington by cab

If I arrive at London Bridge (National Rail) at 07.14 next Wednesday,
how would you rate my chances of getting to Paddington, by cab, for
the 07.45 departure to Cardiff?

I will need to pick up my ticket from a machine at Paddington, unless
I can do that in my four minute connection at Lewes.

What route might the cab take to minimise time? I'm guessing the Vic
Embankment and Euston Road are best avoided at that time of day, but
am thinking the driver might stay south of the river to beyond
Waterloo, then come up Vauxhall Bridge Road*, Buckingham Palace Road,
Park Lane and into Paddington via the Lancaster Gate direction?

Finally, I will have an Anytime Standard ticket. Can I excess this to
an Anytime First on the train, or will they try and issue a PF or
insist on purchase of a brand new Anytime First ticket?

Thanks,

Chris

* Or Horseferry Road and into Vic Street - that one seems to run quite
smoothly.

Old February 24th 12, 06:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message

If I arrive at London Bridge (National Rail) at 07.14 next Wednesday,
how would you rate my chances of getting to Paddington, by cab, for
the 07.45 departure to Cardiff?

Marginally less than doing it by tube (Jubilee to Baker Street then
Bakerloo).

Peter
(memories of the times I arrived at Paddington on a train due at 1738 and
caught the 1750 from Charing Cross - though it was 1967, the train into
Paddington was often up to 10 minutes early, and after 10 July 1967 almost
all peak trains from Charing Cross had a late start)

Old February 24th 12, 06:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote:

If I arrive at London Bridge (National Rail) at 07.14 next Wednesday,
how would you rate my chances of getting to Paddington, by cab, for
the 07.45 departure to Cardiff?

Marginally less than doing it by tube (Jubilee to Baker Street then
Bakerloo).

The Jubilee platforms at London Bridge are a bit 'journey to the
centre of the earth', and the headways are generally dire, at any time
of day, if the trains are running at all. 12 months of commuting to
Canary Wharf (2007) put me off the Jubilee for life, but maybe things
are better now.

I guess if everything is running well, your contention might be
correct.

(memories of the times I arrived at Paddington on a train due at 1738 and
caught the 1750 from Charing Cross - though it was 1967, the train into
Paddington was often up to 10 minutes early, and after 10 July 1967 almost
all peak trains from Charing Cross had a late start)

It can't be relied upon, but that train into London Bridge is often
two or three minutes early, in contrast to the later Coastway services
which are generally a few minutes late on arrival.

Chris
Old February 24th 12, 07:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:05:59 on
Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Chris Read remarked:
What route might the cab take to minimise time?

They are supposed to take the shortest distance (within reason), if you
are in a hurry you need to tell the driver to take a longer, but faster,
route.
Old February 24th 12, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/02/2012 19:05, Chris Read wrote:

If I arrive at London Bridge (National Rail) at 07.14 next Wednesday,
how would you rate my chances of getting to Paddington, by cab, for
the 07.45 departure to Cardiff?

I'm not sure I'd fancy planning to make such a connection, even with a
personal jet-pack, if it was in any way important.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 24th 12, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:
The Jubilee platforms at London Bridge are a bit 'journey to the
centre of the earth', and the headways are generally dire, at any time
of day, if the trains are running at all. 12 months of commuting to
Canary Wharf (2007) put me off the Jubilee for life, but maybe things
are better now.

There is always the Northern Line to Moorgate or Kings Cross/St
Pancras, then the Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington.

Either has to be quicker than a taxi from London Bridge to Paddington.

Then there is the LUL/taxi option with the Northern Line to Euston and
a short taxi ride to Paddington ... ;-)

Old February 24th 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 24, 8:40*pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:
I'm not sure I'd fancy planning to make such a connection, even with a
personal jet-pack, if it was in any way important.

Seems risky in the extreme. Where does your journey actually commence?
Just wondering whether there is any option of travelling to Reading
(not via London) and picking up your onward connection there at c.
0810?

--
gordon
Old February 24th 12, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message
"Peter Masson" wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote:

[...]

Does the Cardiff train stop at Reading?
Gatwick/Reading service an option?

Old February 24th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message
Chris Read wrote:
The Jubilee platforms at London Bridge are a bit 'journey to the
centre of the earth', and the headways are generally dire, at any time
of day, if the trains are running at all. 12 months of commuting to
Canary Wharf (2007) put me off the Jubilee for life, but maybe things
are better now.

There is always the Northern Line to Moorgate or Kings Cross/St
Pancras, then the Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington.

Either has to be quicker than a taxi from London Bridge to Paddington.

Then there is the LUL/taxi option with the Northern Line to Euston and
a short taxi ride to Paddington ... ;-)

Why go down into the Northern? Thameslink to Moorgate then Circle. I
suppose it depends on the connection given the (in) frequency of Thameslink.

But whether using a taxi or public transport I'm with those who don't think
this connection is something I would rely on.

As far as a taxi route is concerned I'd leave it to the driver, just tell
him your dilemma and leave it to him. I haven't got the new layout for
taxis at Paddington established in my head yet but it might be worth telling
him the train is planned to use platform 9 in case that affects where he
drops you.

Old February 24th 12, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/02/2012 21:16, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Chris Read wrote:
The Jubilee platforms at London Bridge are a bit 'journey to the
centre of the earth', and the headways are generally dire, at any time
of day, if the trains are running at all. 12 months of commuting to
Canary Wharf (2007) put me off the Jubilee for life, but maybe things
are better now.

There is always the Northern Line to Moorgate or Kings Cross/St
Pancras, then the Hammersmith and City Line to Paddington.

Either has to be quicker than a taxi from London Bridge to Paddington.

Then there is the LUL/taxi option with the Northern Line to Euston and
a short taxi ride to Paddington ... ;-)

Why go down into the Northern? Thameslink to Moorgate

ITYM Farringdon?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK