Old March 21st 12, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 21/03/2012 06:51, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:51:45 on Tue, 20 Mar
2012, The Real Doctor remarked:
You forget that Polson was Morton's right hand man on the project and
therefore knows everything about it.

iirc he was involved in one of the rival bids (and unsuccessful) bids to
build a bridge instead.

[citation require]

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.ra...5dfe76b6edfa72

Sorry, I knew he'd posted about the bridge option, but I had the context
reversed.

There were other postings where he claimed that the Euroroute (bridge)
option was so much better and all those working on the tunnel agreed
with him.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old March 21st 12, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 20/03/2012 23:54, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 16/03/12 11:50, Graeme Wall wrote:
Difficult to disentangle all his myriad claims but IIRC he was allegedly
working on the tunnel project

Remember that he has also claimed to have managed an opencast mine,
worked in every nuclear power station in Britain, run shops in Preston
and North Yorkshire, been a civil servant, written the transport section
of the Labour Manifesto in 1997, supervised the Piccadilly Line tunnel
under Heathrow and taken cover photographs for Vogue. I suppose it's
possible that some of these claims might be true.

Well he might have taken a photo of the cover of Vogue...

Old March 21st 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21/03/12 06:51, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:51:45 on Tue, 20 Mar
2012, The Real Doctor remarked:
You forget that Polson was Morton's right hand man on the project and
therefore knows everything about it.

iirc he was involved in one of the rival bids (and unsuccessful) bids to
build a bridge instead.

[citation require]

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.ra...5dfe76b6edfa72

Sorry, I knew he'd posted about the bridge option, but I had the context
reversed.

Sorry, Roland, I wasn't clear. The [citation required] applied to
Polson's claim, not yours.

Ian

Old March 21st 12, 09:04 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 8:25*am, 77002 wrote:

On the Contrary, the route to Farringdon (Street) would be more
direct, have less stations, and be aboard, faster, higher capacity,
trains.

I read it the wrong way - but there is talk of those trains being
connected to WCML stopping trains to relieve capacity at Euston for
the rebuild for HS2.

Neil
Old March 21st 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:55:54 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 20/03/2012 21:13, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 20/03/2012 09:54, d wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:44:37 +0000
Arthur wrote:
Personally I'd look at doing a deal with the French. AIUI they know they
only have to be able to nuke Berli^H^H^H whatever the target might be
once, rather than Moscow 137 times or whatever.

Apparebntly french nukes are highlyh sophisticated. The warhead splits at
the apex of its trajectory into individual bombs and then at lower
altitude
each bomb releases a white flag that also doubles as a parachute so they
don't get hurt when they land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_the_Marne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

I suspect Boltar has been influenced by the Republican Party's tantrum
when the French sensibly declined to join in Bush's "Let's not worry
about catching Bin Laden and get Saddam instead for the hell of it."

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

B2003

Old March 21st 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 9:04*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On Mar 21, 8:25*am, 77002 wrote:

On the Contrary, the route to Farringdon (Street) would be more
direct, have less stations, and be aboard, faster, higher capacity,
trains.

I read it the wrong way

As was apparent down thread. :-)

but there is talk of those trains being
connected to WCML stopping trains to relieve capacity at Euston for
the rebuild for HS2.

That ought to be permanent IMHO.
Old March 21st 12, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Arthur wrote:
Personally I'd look at doing a deal with the French. AIUI they know they
only have to be able to nuke Berli^H^H^H whatever the target might be
once, rather than Moscow 137 times or whatever.

Apparebntly french nukes are highlyh sophisticated. The warhead splits at
the apex of its trajectory into individual bombs and then at lower
altitude
each bomb releases a white flag that also doubles as a parachute so they
don't get hurt when they land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_the_Marne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

I suspect Boltar has been influenced by the Republican Party's tantrum
when the French sensibly declined to join in Bush's "Let's not worry
about catching Bin Laden and get Saddam instead for the hell of it."

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Simplistic and inaccurate, though slightly amusing.

Old March 21st 12, 06:53 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 05:03:08 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:
That ought to be permanent IMHO.

I hope not. It is far more civilised to board at a terminus.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old March 21st 12, 08:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at
19:53:39 on Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
That ought to be permanent IMHO.

I hope not. It is far more civilised to board at a terminus.

Depends. Being given only ten minutes notice of which platform you have
to scurry down at Kings Cross to find your seat eight or nine carriages
away isn't very civilised. At intermediate stations like Peterborough
and Grantham you know exactly which platform, and where the relevant
carriage will stop (they have signs).