Old March 21st 12, 08:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:00:38 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
Depends. Being given only ten minutes notice of which platform you

have
to scurry down at Kings Cross to find your seat eight or nine

carriages
away isn't very civilised.

Indeed not. But most of the time platforms at Euston for LM services
are posted early, and where not regular users can guess as they are
very consistent.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Old March 22nd 12, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:21:17AM -0700, 77002 wrote:

Whether the idiots at TfL have chosen the right rolling stock is
another question. Why would any sane railway run trains from Reading
to Shenfield, sans half-bathrooms?

By "half bathrooms" do you mean "bogs"?

It makes sense to me. An awful lot of journeys will be a hell of a lot
shorter than Maidenhead (not Reading) to Shenfield, and even for those
few people going all the way, it's only an hour and a half, as near as
damnit the same as Richmond to Upminster, which also has no bogs and
no-one seems to mind that.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Old March 22nd 12, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:10:06 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
It makes sense to me. An awful lot of journeys will be a hell of a lot
shorter than Maidenhead (not Reading) to Shenfield, and even for those
few people going all the way, it's only an hour and a half, as near as
damnit the same as Richmond to Upminster, which also has no bogs and
no-one seems to mind that.

I suspect the central bit will be packed as people use it as an alternative
to the tube (assuming Oyster will be valid and they're not going to try it
on with special fares). I don't think you'd want smelly , possibly blocked
toilets in the carraige in that scenario.

B2003

Old March 22nd 12, 12:19 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 6:53*pm, Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 05:03:08 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

That ought to be permanent IMHO.

I hope not. *It is far more civilised to board at a terminus.

However, many folks have travelled to the terminus by subway.
Ascending escalators, waiting for a train, and accessing one's
platform all add to the journey time.
Old March 22nd 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

David Cantrell wrote:
It makes sense to me. *An awful lot of journeys will be a hell of a lot
shorter than Maidenhead (not Reading) to Shenfield, and even for those
few people going all the way, it's only an hour and a half, as near as
damnit the same as Richmond to Upminster, which also has no bogs and
no-one seems to mind that.

I suspect the central bit will be packed as people use it as an alternative
to the tube (assuming Oyster will be valid and they're not going to try it
on with special fares). I don't think you'd want smelly , possibly blocked
toilets in the carraige in that scenario.

By the time Crossrail is built, Paddington to Reading will be
electrified. Crossrail will run to Reading.

Thameslink has on board facilities. Thameslink's central section is
extremely well utilized.

Old March 22nd 12, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 05:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
77002 wrote:
By the time Crossrail is built, Paddington to Reading will be
electrified. Crossrail will run to Reading.

Well yes, thats part of the scheme.

Thameslink has on board facilities. Thameslink's central section is
extremely well utilized.

But not really in the same league. Its nowhere near as long and is (was) very
slow with a poor service. Speaking as someone who used to work at blackfriars
for a couple of years I can safely say that it was often quicker to walk to
farringdon and get the tube to KX than wait for a thameslink train to show
up and crawl its way up there.

B2003

Old March 22nd 12, 03:50 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 05:19:58 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:
However, many folks have travelled to the terminus by subway.
Ascending escalators, waiting for a train, and accessing one's
platform all add to the journey time.

True. But to me fastest is not necessarily best.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old March 22nd 12, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
By "half bathrooms" do you mean "bogs"?

Yes he does. He has this curious obsession with the use of the US
term in here, largely I think because it winds people up.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK