London Banter

-   -   Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12944-crossrail-tunnelling-start-shortly.html)

Mizter T March 15th 12 09:53 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards under
central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

Video:

So, it's finally really happening.

[email protected] March 15th 12 09:55 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:53:04 +0000
Mizter T wrote:
Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards under
central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

B2003

Roland Perry March 15th 12 10:11 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012, d remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

77002 March 15th 12 11:41 AM

London Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Mar 15, 11:11*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012, remarked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

There distance between the tunnels may not be constant.

Does GPS penetrate that far? One is intrigued as to how this works.
ISTR earlier tunnels being aligned by laser.

The Twenty-first Century is starting with this much needed and really
exciting rail project. When the economic recovery comes we see more
projects like this. London badly needs them.

Roland Perry March 15th 12 12:43 PM

London Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message
, at
05:41:17 on Thu, 15 Mar 2012, 77002 remarked:
There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

There distance between the tunnels may not be constant.

No doubt they do spread apart as they get further from the portal.

Does GPS penetrate that far? One is intrigued as to how this works.
ISTR earlier tunnels being aligned by laser.

Surveying works because light travels in straight lines (or so the
Physicists tell us). In the old days you peered through a theodolite at
poles held by your colleagues. Today, perhaps you shine a laser in the
other direction. There's very little difference in the precision (which
is all about measuring angles), even if modern methods may be less
labour intensive.

allantracy March 15th 12 01:55 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

So, it's finally really happening.

....... and only thirteen years late.

Jim Chisholm March 15th 12 03:47 PM

On 15/03/2012 14:55, allantracy wrote:

So, it's finally really happening.

...... and only thirteen years late.

so it is doing better than Thameslink 2000?

D7666 March 15th 12 05:45 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Mar 15, 10:53*am, Mizter T wrote:

Tunnel boring

So, it's finally really happening.

Most days I travel one way or the other through Paddington on the
Hamcity & Mersmith line and I've been watching the machinery being
assembled bit by bit. Its impressive kit. I don't recall the channel
tunnel machinery being as impressive but maybe grey cells are
decaying.

--
Nick

D7666 March 15th 12 06:02 PM

On Mar 15, 2:55*pm, allantracy wrote:
So, it's finally really happening.

...... and only thirteen years late.

It was approved 2007 ... under a Labour government based on the 2005
proposals ... made during a Labour government.

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

--
Nick

Mizter T March 15th 12 07:09 PM

On Mar 15, 7:02*pm, D7666 wrote:

On Mar 15, 2:55*pm, allantracy wrote:

So, it's finally really happening.

...... and only thirteen years late.

It was approved 2007 ... under a Labour government based on the 2005
proposals ... made during a Labour government.

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

Quite - here's a very brief historical background on an archived page
which used to reside on Crossrail's own website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8a8funk

allantracy March 15th 12 07:44 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

Well therein lies the difference

Tories said we're not doing it and doing it they did not.

New Labour said we are doing it and doing it they did not.

The difference we now call spin.

Bruce[_2_] March 15th 12 07:48 PM

D7666 wrote:

On Mar 15, 10:53*am, Mizter T wrote:

Tunnel boring

So, it's finally really happening.

Most days I travel one way or the other through Paddington on the
Hamcity & Mersmith line and I've been watching the machinery being
assembled bit by bit. Its impressive kit. I don't recall the channel
tunnel machinery being as impressive but maybe grey cells are
decaying.

The Channel Tunnel machinery was crude and simplistic on the British
side, but extremely sophisticated and impressive on the French side.

The British tunnelling engineers laughed at the French machines,
claiming that they were absurdly complex and would make very slow
progress compared to the much simpler machines on the British side.

In the final reckoning, the French machines were very reliable and
worked faster than expected despite encountering ground conditions
that were much worse than expected. Meanwhile, the British machines
struggled in better ground that the French had to deal with and proved
unreliable and inadequate.

The planned meeting point between the British and French tunnel drives
had to be moved towards Kent several times (and by significant
distances) because the French machines made such rapid progress
compared to ours.

Arthur Figgis March 15th 12 07:53 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 15/03/2012 20:48, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

On Mar 15, 10:53 am, Mizter wrote:

Tunnel boring

So, it's finally really happening.

Most days I travel one way or the other through Paddington on the
Hamcity& Mersmith line and I've been watching the machinery being
assembled bit by bit. Its impressive kit. I don't recall the channel
tunnel machinery being as impressive but maybe grey cells are
decaying.

The Channel Tunnel machinery was crude and simplistic on the British
side, but extremely sophisticated and impressive on the French side.

The British tunnelling engineers laughed at the French machines,

Which engineers, and how do you know that they did?

It doesn't seen the sort of thing that engineers (real engineers, rather
than repairmen or shopkeepers) who I've come across would do, as most
seem to find different approaches to specific problems to be quite
interesting.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Denis McMahon[_4_] March 15th 12 08:03 PM

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:11:40 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012, d remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely they
won't be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm fairly sure the tunnel segments are up to the job, they're probably
similar to the chunnel ones, or even the HS1 ones.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

I expect that's a simple throw away line that means rather less than it
sounds. I expect that "navigation" is going to be driven by laser
sightings out of the rear of the machines, along the tunnel bores using
intermediate survey points, to a datum point outside the tunnel bore.

The datum point might be fixed by gps, although for a fixed point where
absolute accuracy is needed, I suspect that it will be physically
surveyed. Although the co-ordinates of various surveying points will be
known, the fact that gps systems can use / display such co-ordinates
doesn't mean that other systems that use such co-ordinates are gps, which
is what I suspect that someone failed to understand when writing that.

I wouldn't trust a gps derived position underground even if I could
receive the signals - you don't know how much bouncing about it's done
getting through the soil, pipes, rocks of various types, cables etc above
you, and every signal bounce is a loss of accuracy.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

allantracy March 15th 12 08:38 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

The Channel Tunnel machinery was crude and simplistic on the British
side, but extremely sophisticated and impressive on the French side.

Yes, you can always rely on the French to be a bunch of poseurs.

Pity they aren’t so good at armies.

Mind you, I bet they wouldn’t have needed £17bn to build HS2.

[email protected] March 15th 12 08:38 PM

On 15/03/2012 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012, d remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely
they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

Did they ever choose names for them?

D7666 March 15th 12 08:53 PM

On Mar 15, 8:44*pm, allantracy wrote:

New Labour said we are doing it and doing it they did not.

Explain.

What did they not do ?

NO WAY was a project like this ever going to get authorised underway
and completed in one term of government. If you really think that you
are more in cloud cuckoo land than I thought. there has been an
election, but that does not undo what was done before.

--
Nick
..

Bruce[_2_] March 15th 12 08:57 PM

allantracy wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Channel Tunnel machinery was crude and simplistic on the British
side, but extremely sophisticated and impressive on the French side.

Yes, you can always rely on the French to be a bunch of poseurs.

Laugh as much as you want, but it seems you can rely on the French to
get the job done. Actually, they not only got *their* job done, they
bored and lined a lot of the tunnel that was supposed to be built from
the English side, so they did quite a lot of *ours* too.

If it hadn't been for the ability and efforts of the French, the
overall project would have taken much longer to complete and the final
cost would have been even further over budget.

Richard J.[_3_] March 15th 12 10:26 PM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

wrote on 15 March 2012
21:38:54 ...
On 15/03/2012 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In , at 10:55:45 on Thu, 15 Mar
2012,
d remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

There doesn't seem to be much distance between the 2 bores. Surely
they won't
be that close the entire route? Looks like it would collapse.

The tunnel is concrete-lined as the machine moves forward.

I'm more interested in them apparently using GPS 38m underground!

Did they ever choose names for them?

Yes. The one currently at Westbourne Park is named Ada, as I saw today
from a Circle Line train.

The names a
PHYLLIS, after Phyllis Pearsall, who created the London A-Z street atlas
ADA, after Ada Lovelace, who worked with Charles Babbage on his
"analytical engine", and is regarded as the first computer programmer
(Phyllis will be first to start boring at Royal Oak, and I assume she
must be already on the slope leading down to the portal there.)

The others whose names have been announced are VICTORIA and ELIZABETH,
after the two queens; MARY, after Mary Brunel the wife of the famous
railway engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel; and SOPHIA after Sophia Brunel
the wife of IKB's father Marc Isambard Brunel who built the first tunnel
under the Thames.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/site...ines-announced
--
Richard J.

[email protected] March 15th 12 11:17 PM

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards
under central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in Europe."
Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

Video:

So, it's finally really happening.

I thought they were starting on the 21st? I noted the date some time back as
it's my younger daughter's birthday.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_2_] March 15th 12 11:47 PM

On 2012\03\15 20:44, allantracy wrote:

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

Well therein lies the difference

Tories said we're not doing it and doing it they did not.

New Labour said we are doing it and doing it they did not.

The difference we now call spin.

Indeed... you can't bore a tunnel without spin.

Basil Jet[_2_] March 15th 12 11:48 PM

On 2012\03\15 21:03, Denis McMahon wrote:

I wouldn't trust a gps derived position underground even if I could
receive the signals - you don't know how much bouncing about it's done
getting through the soil, pipes, rocks of various types, cables etc above
you, and every signal bounce is a loss of accuracy.

GPS is not accurate enough for laying a surface railway, never mind an
underground one.

Mark Brader March 16th 12 02:47 AM

London Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

Roland Perry:
Surveying works because light travels in straight lines (or so the
Physicists tell us).

No, actually, what they tell us is that it travels in straight
lines *unless* it's traveling through a non-uniform medium.
When the Channel Tunnel was being built, they had to correct the
laser-based alignment for the variations in air temperature
within the incomplete tunnel.

However, I doubt that this would be much of an issue for the
rather shorter distances between stations on Crossrail.
--
Mark Brader | "The speed of sound is considerably less than the
Toronto | speed of light -- that is why some people appear bright

tony sayer March 16th 12 07:32 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In article , Basil Jet
scribeth thus
On 2012\03\15 21:03, Denis McMahon wrote:

I wouldn't trust a gps derived position underground even if I could
receive the signals - you don't know how much bouncing about it's done
getting through the soil, pipes, rocks of various types, cables etc above
you, and every signal bounce is a loss of accuracy.

GPS is not accurate enough for laying a surface railway,

Really?.
never mind an
underground one.

How could you receive the GPS signals underground anyway?..
--
Tony Sayer

Graeme Wall March 16th 12 07:34 AM

On 15/03/2012 20:44, allantracy wrote:

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

Well therein lies the difference

Tories said we're not doing it and doing it they did not.

New Labour said we are doing it and doing it they did not.

Providing you ignore all the years of preparatory work that has been
going on before they could get to the point of unleashing the TBMs.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Graeme Wall March 16th 12 07:36 AM

wrote:

[...]

You forget that Polson was Morton's right hand man on the project and
therefore knows everything about it.

Mizter T March 16th 12 07:52 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 00:17, wrote:

In ,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards
under central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in Europe."
Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

Video:

So, it's finally really happening.

I thought they were starting on the 21st? I noted the date some time
back as it's my younger daughter's birthday.

Could be, I haven't come across the 21st date before bit nor have I
looked for it either.

Crossrail press release from Tuesday (13th March):

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/press-releases/giant-tunnel-boring-machines-ready-to-start-crossrail-dig

Excerpt:
---quote---
Today, the first of eight enormous machines, each 150 metres long and
weighing 1,000 tonnes, will begin their journey to the Royal Oak Portal
in west London from where, next week, they will start tunnelling 6.4 km
(four miles) east to Farringdon via Bond Street and Tottenham Court
Road. [...]
---/quote---

Colin Williams March 16th 12 08:58 AM

On Mar 15, 9:38*pm, allantracy wrote:

Yes, you can always rely on the French to be a bunch of poseurs.

Pity they aren’t so good at armies.

"According to historian Niall Ferguson, of the 125 major European wars
fought since 1495, the French have participated in fifty - more than
both Austria (forty-seven) and England (forty-three). And they've
achieved an impressive batting average: out of 168 battles fought
since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10."

(From 'The Second QI Book of General Ignorance', funnily enough).

----
Colin Williams.

Roland Perry March 16th 12 09:25 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 00:48:37 on
Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Basil Jet remarked:
I wouldn't trust a gps derived position underground even if I could
receive the signals - you don't know how much bouncing about it's done
getting through the soil, pipes, rocks of various types, cables etc above
you, and every signal bounce is a loss of accuracy.

GPS is not accurate enough for laying a surface railway, never mind an
underground one.

It's accurate to about 10cm (if you employ differential GPS) which
probably good enough for avoiding a 10m obstacle 40m underground.

Obviously, you don't use it to measure the distance between the rails
when you are laying the track.

Graeme Wall March 16th 12 09:30 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On 16/03/2012 10:10, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:34:43 +0000, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 15/03/2012 20:44, allantracy wrote:

If it is 13 years late by your reckoning it was 1994 when it ought to
have been approved - but it was not - by a Tory government.

The previous study that made as far as a Bill were presented in 1991
to a Tory gov finally rejected in 1994 by a Tory gov.

How do you think now then ?

Well therein lies the difference

Tories said we're not doing it and doing it they did not.

New Labour said we are doing it and doing it they did not.

Providing you ignore all the years of preparatory work that has been
going on before they could get to the point of unleashing the TBMs.

Goodness are you telling me that design, statutory approvals and
consultation, property purchase, procurement, utility works and
mobilisation didn't all happen in the last couple of months? I'm
shocked. I thought Justine Greening had been doing it all single
handedly.

I'm sure Boris will claim it was all his doing.

Roland Perry March 16th 12 09:34 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 08:36:36 on Fri,
16 Mar 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
You forget that Polson was Morton's right hand man on the project and
therefore knows everything about it.

iirc he was involved in one of the rival bids (and unsuccessful) bids to
build a bridge instead.

Roland Perry March 16th 12 09:36 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 10:25:02 on Fri, 16 Mar
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
GPS is not accurate enough for laying a surface railway, never mind an
underground one.

It's accurate to about 10cm (if you employ differential GPS) which
probably good enough for avoiding a 10m obstacle 40m underground.

With an implied "apart from the fact it doesn't work under ground", of
course.

[email protected] March 16th 12 09:59 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:58:13 -0700 (PDT)
Colin Williams wrote:
"According to historian Niall Ferguson, of the 125 major European wars
fought since 1495, the French have participated in fifty - more than
both Austria (forty-seven) and England (forty-three). And they've
achieved an impressive batting average: out of 168 battles fought
since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10."

387BC? Thats pretty impressive given france as a nation didn't even exist until
the middle ages.

B2003

Paul Scott[_3_] March 16th 12 10:00 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

wrote in message
In article , (Mizter T)
wrote:

Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards
under central London.

Pictorial:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17365934

"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in Europe."
Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

Rule 1. PR departments must exaggerate. They probably believe they are
tunneling from Maidenhead to Shenfield AND from Heathrow to Abbey Wood.
Then they'll double that figure as there are two tracks.

Also see the regular references to the 48 tph train service....

Paul S

Roland Perry March 16th 12 10:11 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

In message , at 19:17:39
on Thu, 15 Mar 2012, remarked:
"The scheme is currently the largest civil engineering project in Europe."
Really? Bigger than the Gotthard Base Tunnel?

iirc the cost of the tunnel (and perhaps stations) under London is only
one third of the total project spend. So to some it extent it depends
how much of the project you include.

Graeme Wall March 16th 12 10:50 AM

On 16/03/2012 10:34, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:36:36 on Fri,
16 Mar 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:
You forget that Polson was Morton's right hand man on the project and
therefore knows everything about it.

iirc he was involved in one of the rival bids (and unsuccessful) bids to
build a bridge instead.

Difficult to disentangle all his myriad claims but IIRC he was allegedly
working on the tunnel project but thought the bridge proposal was a
better option.

Colin Williams March 16th 12 10:56 AM

On Mar 16, 10:59*am, wrote:

387BC? Thats pretty impressive given france as a nation didn't even exist until
the middle ages.

B2003

Perhaps it should have said France and its predecessors.

"387 B.C. Battle of Allia. The outnumbered Gauls, led by Brennus,
defeat the army of the Roman Republic led by Quintus Sulpicius and
ultimately go on to sack Rome itself. "

http://www.militaryfactory.com/battl..._victories.asp

(Massively off-topic, apologies).

----
Colin Williams.

77002 March 16th 12 11:01 AM

On Mar 16, 7:49*am, furnessvale wrote:
On Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:53:04 AM UTC, Mizter T wrote:
Tunnel boring to begin from the Royal Oak portal heading eastwards under
central London.
So, it's finally really happening.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and mouth shut. *How many false starts did the Channel Tunnel have that actually involved tunnelling underway?

Several of the Crossrail stations have been under construction for
some time. The ramps down to the portals at Paddington are
substantial.

Moreover, IIRC, the cost of Crossrail has reduced slightly.

77002 March 16th 12 11:05 AM

Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Mar 16, 9:58*am, Colin Williams
wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:38*pm, allantracy wrote:

Yes, you can always rely on the French to be a bunch of poseurs.

Pity they aren’t so good at armies.

"According to historian Niall Ferguson, of the 125 major European wars
fought since 1495, the French have participated in fifty - more than
both Austria (forty-seven) and England (forty-three). *And they've
achieved an impressive batting average: out of 168 battles fought
since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10."

(From 'The Second QI Book of General Ignorance', funnily enough).

France is one of the Western European countries today that has an
effective military. The UK is under defended.

Bruce[_2_] March 16th 12 11:22 AM

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2012\03\15 21:03, Denis McMahon wrote:

I wouldn't trust a gps derived position underground even if I could
receive the signals - you don't know how much bouncing about it's done
getting through the soil, pipes, rocks of various types, cables etc above
you, and every signal bounce is a loss of accuracy.

GPS is not accurate enough for laying a surface railway, never mind an
underground one.

Differential GPS is. This isn't your car's satnav, nor your hand-held
Garmin that you take when hiking, it is an extremely precise method of
establishing position with great accuracy using highly sophisticated
corrections of GPS satellite transmissions.

It also takes time to do; your car satnav or hand held GPS receiver
gives you a near instant fix to within a few metres, but differential
GPS takes hours* to give an accuracy of millimetres.

But GPS isn't much use down a tunnel. You can establish precise
positions at the shafts using GPS, but you need traditional methods
from then on in.

[*When I was last personally involved in the late 1990s, it took a
couple of days. I am assuming it has gotten quicker in the last
fourteen or fifteen years.]