London Banter

-   -   Circle restored (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12998-circle-restored.html)

[email protected] April 16th 12 08:49 AM

Circle restored

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:18:51 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
d wrote:
Well if you're not going to ride it why f***ing take it then??

Because you want it in once place, rather than the other.

Might be because you can't manage the ~80 miles from Cambridge -
or the ~10 miles from Kings X - and want to get the train part of
the way. This could be because you cycled from Putney to Cambridge,
and are too tired (*tish*) to cycle back again; because you're not that
fit; or because you're in a hurry.

Sorry , doesn't make sense. If he cycles to the station in cambridge then
there are plenty of places to leave a bike there. So why take it all the
way to london with all the hassle (to other pax as well as him) if he's not
going to use it there?

Use your imagination and empathy, Boltar.

Empathy? Ques que c'est?

B2003

Mike Bristow April 16th 12 09:42 AM

Circle restored

In article ,
d wrote:
Sorry , doesn't make sense. If he cycles to the station in cambridge then
there are plenty of places to leave a bike there. So why take it all the
way to london with all the hassle (to other pax as well as him) if he's not
going to use it there?

Who said they weren't going to use it in London? I merely said they weren't
going to use it from Kings X. Perhaps a ride from Kings X to Putney
is too far, but a ride from Putney Bridge to Hotham Road isn't.

--
Mike Bristow

redcat April 16th 12 01:41 PM

Circle restored

Quick question, please --

In 2 weeks I need to go from Bayswater to Great Portland St. Last time I
took the Circle Line, no probs.

I just looked at the interactive map and, although this thread is about
"circle restored", the interactive map still shows the Circle only goes
as far as Edgeware Rd.

Here's the Question! Is the map behind and I can get to Grt Portland
from Bayswater via Circle?

Thanks! Looking forward to being back in London.

Neil Williams April 16th 12 01:48 PM

Circle restored

On Apr 13, 12:41*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:

So it really was back to the authentic Circle line then !

It's more reliable now, but the situation at Paddington in the peaks
is somewhere between a joke and downright dangerous.

There *must* have been some way to put in a temporary staircase at the
other end of the platforms so a one way system could be implemented.
It's gone on for over a year now.

Neil

redcat April 16th 12 01:51 PM

Circle restored

On 4/13/2012 6:33 AM, d wrote:

I'm surprised anyones bothers with the circle line TBH. On the rare occasions
I need to go to the western end of it I'll just use the central or bakerloo
and walk. It simply isn't worth the hassle using the Circle anymore, its
a total failure as a line.

B2003

I lived in London through much of the 'seventies and anytime I needed to
go somewhere where the Circle or the District appeared to be the obvious
choices my heart sank.

Both lines remain the pits.

Why?

redcat April 16th 12 02:01 PM

Circle restored

On 4/16/2012 9:41 AM, redcat wrote:
Quick question, please --

In 2 weeks I need to go from Bayswater to Great Portland St. Last time I
took the Circle Line, no probs.

I just looked at the interactive map and, although this thread is about
"circle restored", the interactive map still shows the Circle only goes
as far as Edgeware Rd.

Here's the Question! Is the map behind and I can get to Grt Portland
from Bayswater via Circle?

Thanks! Looking forward to being back in London.

OMG, I love this:

http://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/

It shows the tubes running live! (Is this real? or is this art?)

Also answers my question re Circle from Bayswater to Great Portland. In
theory, it is running.

redcat

Neil Williams April 16th 12 02:05 PM

Circle restored

On Apr 16, 3:51*pm, redcat wrote:

I lived in London through much of the 'seventies and anytime I needed to
go somewhere where the Circle or the District appeared to be the obvious
choices my heart sank.

Both lines remain the pits.

Why?

Knackered infrastructure, mainly.

But, unlike other countries, it does seem to be a LUL thing to run
nice new trains on knackered old infrastructure, rather than the
opposite as is more common (though usually maintaining the old trains
well so they aren't knackered).

Neil

redcat April 16th 12 02:19 PM

Circle restored

On 4/16/2012 10:05 AM, Neil Williams wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:51 pm, wrote:

I lived in London through much of the 'seventies and anytime I needed to
go somewhere where the Circle or the District appeared to be the obvious
choices my heart sank.

Both lines remain the pits.

Why?

Knackered infrastructure, mainly.

But, unlike other countries, it does seem to be a LUL thing to run
nice new trains on knackered old infrastructure, rather than the
opposite as is more common (though usually maintaining the old trains
well so they aren't knackered).

Neil

I agree! Must say, though, the old trains can be charming on occasion.
Little time machines. When I ride the Circle or District (or the
Northern) I feel I haven't aged a bit over four decades.

redcat

Neil Williams April 16th 12 02:22 PM

Circle restored

On Apr 16, 4:19*pm, redcat wrote:

I agree! Must say, though, the old trains can be charming on occasion.
Little time machines. When I ride the Circle or District (or the
Northern) I feel I haven't aged a bit over four decades.

I used to love riding 1930s stock on the Hamburg S-Bahn....in 1999!
Any big metro system do better?

Neil

[email protected] April 16th 12 02:33 PM

Circle restored

In article , (Mike
Bristow) wrote:

In article ,
d wrote:
Sorry , doesn't make sense. If he cycles to the station in cambridge
then there are plenty of places to leave a bike there. So why take it
all the way to london with all the hassle (to other pax as well as him)
if he's not going to use it there?

Who said they weren't going to use it in London? I merely said they
weren't going to use it from Kings X. Perhaps a ride from Kings X to
Putney is too far, but a ride from Putney Bridge to Hotham Road isn't.

Precisely. When I worked in London, I usually, especially once FCC and/or
TfL added far above inflation rises to the cost of day travelcards, cycled
between King's Cross and the office in Westminster.

I sometimes stayed in Putney overnight. After a long day at work I sometimes
didn't cycle the whole way, only to Vauxhall (nearest Zone 2 station). In
the morning I cycled from Putney to Westminster except when my tyre blew up
once.

--
Colin Rosenstiel