Old April 16th 12, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored

On 4/16/2012 10:26 AM, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:41:06 -0400,
wrote:

Quick question, please --

In 2 weeks I need to go from Bayswater to Great Portland St. Last time I
took the Circle Line, no probs.

I just looked at the interactive map and, although this thread is about
"circle restored", the interactive map still shows the Circle only goes
as far as Edgeware Rd.

Here's the Question! Is the map behind and I can get to Grt Portland
from Bayswater via Circle?

Circle trains operate a "pan handle" service from Hammersmith then
round the circle via KX, Tower Hill, High St Ken and terminate at
Edgware Road. They then reverse and go back round the circle via HSK,
Tower Hill, KX and then back to Hammersmith.

If you board a train on the western section of the Circle then you
must change trains to reach Baker Street and stations further east.
Similarly if you board a train east of Edgware Road and want to reach
Bayswater and stations south thereof you must change trains at Edgware
Road. Passengers for Paddington would simply take a Hammersmith train
and use the H&C ticket hall to exit at Paddington.

Much of this thread was related to a temporary service pattern that LU
used to recover from a serious operational problem at baker Street.

On rare occasions the "old" Circle Line re-emerges at weekends if
there is engineering work that closes the line to Hammersmith.

Thank you. I'm going to have to print this out!

Old April 16th 12, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM, wrote:
In articleXaydnceos6VovhHSnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@earthlink .com,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/13/2012 6:33 AM,
d wrote:

I'm surprised anyones bothers with the circle line TBH. On the rare
occasions I need to go to the western end of it I'll just use the
central or bakerloo and walk. It simply isn't worth the hassle using the
Circle anymore, its a total failure as a line.

I lived in London through much of the 'seventies and anytime I needed
to go somewhere where the Circle or the District appeared to be the
obvious choices my heart sank.

Both lines remain the pits.

Why?

I was brought up in London nd have visited regularly since I left over 40
years ago. I have never found the Circle as bad as people claim it is and
the District gets me where I need to go every time.

I think at first it's luck of the draw and after that you're influenced
by what happened to you the first few times. I would stand freezing at
Bayswater waiting for the yellow or the green. I know other people
complained passionately about the black the same way; but the Northern
line always treated me well.

I think a bunch of us are just fascinated by the Underground, giving the
trains and lines a personality, and we have expectations of them. To
most other people the Underground is just transportation.

I mean -- aren't you proud that you can be still on the pavement and yet
know which train in what direction is arriving many feet below you?

It's like bird watching or plane spotting :-)

Old April 16th 12, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 3:16 PM, redcat wrote:
On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM, wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

Quick question, please --

In 2 weeks I need to go from Bayswater to Great Portland St. Last
time I took the Circle Line, no probs.

I just looked at the interactive map and, although this thread is
about "circle restored", the interactive map still shows the Circle
only goes as far as Edgeware Rd.

Here's the Question! Is the map behind and I can get to Grt Portland
from Bayswater via Circle?

Thanks! Looking forward to being back in London.

As Paul explains in another message, to make that journey you normally
need
to change at Edgware Road in both directions. Over Easter and after a
recent
disruption there were through Circle trains between Bayswater and Great
Portland St but you cannot do that normally.

Which is odd... because I did it 50 weeks ago, on a Wednesday (direct
Circle from Bayswater - Grt Portland. I got there 30 mins early for an
appointment!)

P.S. I just googled and got this:

Train journey from Bayswater to Great Portland Street
1) From Bayswater take the Circle Line
2) Leave the train at Great Portland Street

Journey: Bayswater → Paddington → Edgware Road → Baker Street → Great
Portland Street

Estimated time: 10 mins

Here is the link to the above:
http://www.londondrum.com/transport/...ortland-street

Old April 16th 12, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 3:46 PM, wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM,
wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

[...]

And for over 100 years but someone decided to change it.

I feel like I'm through the looking glass. I just checked the official
LU site and Circle goes from Bays to Grt Port. Shows a straight line. Also:

Here's from tubeplanner.com

Estimated journey time 10 minutes.
Fare Zones: 1.

1 At Bayswater take the Circle line.
2 Leave the train at Great Portland Street.

Details of your Journey
Station Line
Bayswater Circle
Paddington Circle
Edgware Road (Circle/District/H&C) Circle
Baker Street Circle
Great Portland Street Circle

Old April 16th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4/16/2012 3:54 PM, redcat wrote:
On 4/16/2012 3:46 PM, wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM,
wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

[...]

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZE_5cwTiQ

2 circle line trains arriving at Great Portland St. on Youtube

Old April 16th 12, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 3:16 PM, redcat wrote:
On 4/16/2012 2:04 PM,
wrote:
In ,
(redcat) wrote:

[...]

http://www.londondrum.com/transport/...om=bayswater&t
o=great-portland-street

Better use the TfL Journey Planner, then, http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/.
It clearly shows the need to change at Edgware Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel