Old April 24th 12, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default A Stock Finale

On Apr 23, 9:03*pm, D7666 wrote:

allantracy wrote

A couple of weeks back, I made the effort to ride one of these before
they finally go.

A took a ride out to Uxbridge and back.

Quite a lot of enthusiasts around as the A Stock are getting thin on
the ground now.

I was talking to some and they mentioned that a farewell tour was
being planned but I can’t find any mention of this anywhere.

I guess it’s bound to be highly popular but where could it go that was
novel, given the constraints of the loading gauge?

I was surprised to discover that A Stock can’t run along the Upminster
line or even west of Baker Street, despite them originally being GWR
broad gauge routes.

What about other parts of the District are they forbidden as well?

they finally go.

I wish they'd speed it up and get rid of the things.

And yes, I use A or S stock 2-4 times each week, all on peak or peak
shoulder.

Give me a S any day.

If there is a choice at baker street with S in the bays I'll let A on
the main go and sit on the S if I have time to do it.

Why do you so strongly favor the "S" stock? Or, is it really a
dislike of the aged "A" stock?

One is surprised that "A" stock cannot run east thru Edgware Road and
Paddington. Maybe the Edgware Road rebuild, just prior to
municipalization has something to do with it.

Old April 24th 12, 08:49 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 04:44:51 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:03*pm, D7666 wrote:

[...]

ITYF it is not just loading gauge but train length which keeps A-stock
out of the area.

A Stock Finale 77002 London Transport 24 April 26th 12 07:52 PM
Tour of Britain finale crowns London's biggest day of cycling TravelBot London Transport News 0 August 28th 06 08:24 AM
TfL / NLL / Metronet surface stock / tube stock / Croxley link John B London Transport 4 March 8th 06 09:51 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 09:17 AM
Crossrail and Maryland, the finale Jonn Elledge London Transport 6 October 24th 03 07:10 AM