Old April 25th 12, 09:43 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default A Stock Finale

On Apr 25, 11:06Â*am, Patrickov wrote:
On 4月25æ—¥, 上åˆ8時46分, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

In message
,
D7666 writes

On Apr 25, 12:39Â*am, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

The Piccadilly still run them today in 3 car sets from Cockfosters to
the T4 loop for turning. Â*They are only the 'double ended units' only
though (8xx numbers) Granted they are out of public service but run
through the centre.

Please explain why a double ended unit needs to be turned especially
on a railway that would turn them with normal traffic anyway.

73 stock are made up of 2 3 car units making the 6 car train. Â*They are
handed; A ends and D ends (A are even numbers and D are odd numbers). Â*A
double ended unit can match with either but has to be coupled A to A or
D to D.

If one of the double enders that has been matched with a D end unit now
needs to be reformed to match with an A end unit it will need to be
turned first, hence the little trip to T4.

It is impressive to see how LUL saves depot space (?) by taking an
empty little train round a full trip, clearly wasting a lot of
electrical energy if I must say.

But how often does this actually need to be done? Having a turning
triangle in your depot that you very rarely use is going to wase a lot
of space, which is a significant cost. I imagine the number of
occasions on which a unit that needs to be turned, but can not be in
some way marshalled into a service train going round the Heathrow loop
is likely to be quite small, given lots of trains go round it every
day, so there will be routine turning of most of the fleet.

Robin

Old April 25th 12, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 4月25æ—¥, 下åˆ5時43分, bob wrote:
[...]

But how often does this actually need to be done? Â*Having a turning
triangle in your depot that you very rarely use is going to wase a lot
of space, which is a significant cost. Â*I imagine the number of
occasions on which a unit that needs to be turned, but can not be in
some way marshalled into a service train going round the Heathrow loop
is likely to be quite small, given lots of trains go round it every
day, so there will be routine turning of most of the fleet.

Robin

Maybe I am just stimulated by the statement of "Cockfosters to T4".
Had I seen something like Northfields then I'd say it's very much
reasonable. Thanks for your insight.
Old April 25th 12, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
,
lid () wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:47:46 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:13:46
on Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Recliner remarked:
All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I
seem to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).

I used A-stock to get to London and back (often outside normal
commuting hours) in the 90's, and don't recall ever seeing a short
unit.

I think 4-car usage stopped by then on the mainline (ie, excluding the
Chesham shuttle and ELL). Uncoupling went out of fashion on LU by the
1980s.

Nevertheless, when the A stock was refurbished, most had only one
cab modernised with the other becoming disused. Some double-ended
units, with both cabs remaining usable, were created in similar
fashion to the D stock which is a mix, mainly of three car units
with one cab at one end but with a few units with driving cars at
both ends.

While some of the double cab A stock units were used on the Chesham
shuttle and East London Line services, most were run as part of
8-car trains on the Met main line. I saw one last time I was at
King's Cross last week. I don't think the double-cab D stock units
have ever been run on their own in passenger service.

Not even when D stock looked after the ELL?

I don't remember that. When and for how long was D stock used there?

From Tuneprunes D stock page:

Some were used as 3-car trains on the East London Line between April 1985
and May 1987.

Lew.
Old April 25th 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Lew 1) wrote:

wrote:
In article
,
lid () wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From Tuneprunes D stock page:

Some were used as 3-car trains on the East London Line between April 1985
and May 1987.

Thanks. I have a feeling that they didn't provide the entire ELL service
though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 26th 12, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 25/04/2012 10:06, Patrickov wrote:
On 4月25æ—¥, 上åˆ8時46分, Steve ] wrote:
In message
,
writes

On Apr 25, 12:39 am, Steve ] wrote:

The Piccadilly still run them today in 3 car sets from Cockfosters to
the T4 loop for turning. They are only the 'double ended units' only
though (8xx numbers) Granted they are out of public service but run
through the centre.

Please explain why a double ended unit needs to be turned especially
on a railway that would turn them with normal traffic anyway.

73 stock are made up of 2 3 car units making the 6 car train. They are
handed; A ends and D ends (A are even numbers and D are odd numbers). A
double ended unit can match with either but has to be coupled A to A or
D to D.

If one of the double enders that has been matched with a D end unit now
needs to be reformed to match with an A end unit it will need to be
turned first, hence the little trip to T4.

It is impressive to see how LUL saves depot space (?) by taking an
empty little train round a full trip, clearly wasting a lot of
electrical energy if I must say.

Plus, the cost of crew time.

A Stock Finale 77002 London Transport 1 April 24th 12 08:49 PM
Tour of Britain finale crowns London's biggest day of cycling TravelBot London Transport News 0 August 28th 06 08:24 AM
TfL / NLL / Metronet surface stock / tube stock / Croxley link John B London Transport 4 March 8th 06 09:51 PM
1938 Stock on Uxbridge 100 and T Stock? Matthew P Jones London Transport 17 July 8th 04 09:17 AM
Crossrail and Maryland, the finale Jonn Elledge London Transport 6 October 24th 03 07:10 AM