Old May 26th 12, 04:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Office can't change a tenner

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:40:16 -0700 (PDT), ian batten
wrote:

On May 25, 9:41*pm, Nobody wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2012 03:03:14 -0700 (PDT), ian batten

wrote:
On May 24, 8:09*am, Arthur Figgis wrote:

In fact in London this affects not only youngsters but also tourists -
and with the Olympic crowds estimated to be 500,000 EXTRA visitors -
National Rail and the traincos really do need to sort out this
ticketing farce and stop deliberately inconveniencing potential
customers.

International disgrace - look at the Dutch state railway TVM issues
(unless they've fixed it?).

I want CJB to show us one, just one, tourist in London for the
Olympics who does not hold a debit card and exclusively uses cash.

ian

I'm thinking of visitng Blighty from the True North later this year
(after the Olys), and do not possess a debit card, nor have any
intention of obtaining one.

So it's credit card or cash.

So that's fine: all the machines take them.

ian

But you're the one who is arguing about "debit" card usage. I wuz
saying I'm one who doesn't hold a "debit" card... debit and credit
cards (at least here in Canaduh) are two very different instruments.

Old May 26th 12, 07:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other. There are some edge cases, but they
are not relevant here.

ian
Old May 26th 12, 07:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:51:12 on
Fri, 25 May 2012, Nobody remarked:
So it's credit card or cash.

So that's fine: all the machines take them.

But you're the one who is arguing about "debit" card usage. I wuz
saying I'm one who doesn't hold a "debit" card... debit and credit
cards (at least here in Canaduh) are two very different instruments.

The reason Debit Cards were mentioned is because they are easier to
obtain than a Credit Card. Even 11yr olds can get one if they have a
banks account.
Old May 26th 12, 08:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

ian batten wrote:
In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other.

Aldi and Lidl.

Perhaps you have never heard of them.

Old May 26th 12, 09:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:20:59 on
Sat, 26 May 2012, Bruce remarked:
In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other.

Aldi and Lidl.

Perhaps you have never heard of them.

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

Old May 26th 12, 10:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26/05/2012 10:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:20:59 on
Sat, 26 May 2012, Bruce remarked:
In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other.

Aldi and Lidl.

Perhaps you have never heard of them.

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

And Marks & Sparks wouldn't accept any.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old May 26th 12, 11:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:

In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other.

Aldi and Lidl.

Perhaps you have never heard of them.

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

And Marks & Sparks wouldn't accept any.

I must be imagining everything I've purchased there on my cards.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old May 26th 12, 11:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26/05/2012 12:02, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

And Marks & Sparks wouldn't accept any.

I must be imagining everything I've purchased there on my cards.

They used not to accept credit cards. It has been a while since
they started accepting them. They now offer their own branded
credit card.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Old May 26th 12, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:

In the UK it is extremely difficult to find anything that takes the
one that doesn't take the other.

Aldi and Lidl.

Perhaps you have never heard of them.

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

And Marks& Sparks wouldn't accept any.

I must be imagining everything I've purchased there on my cards.

You are just not old enough :-)

Old May 26th 12, 12:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:

It wasn't *that* long ago when John Lewis would only accept their own
credit card.

And Marks& Sparks wouldn't accept any.

I must be imagining everything I've purchased there on my cards.

They used not to accept credit cards. It has been a while since
they started accepting them. They now offer their own branded
credit card.

Apparently they started accepting cards in 2001.