Old June 29th 12, 12:18 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default City Hall NYC - stunning photos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html

CJB

Old June 29th 12, 04:39 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html

CJB

Thanks for the link. It is truly an astounding station.

Old June 29th 12, 04:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 29 June 2012 01:18:35 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html

All that tiling makes it look like a colossal toilet.
Old June 29th 12, 08:05 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 29, 5:39*am, george conklin wrote:
On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa...

CJB

Thanks for the link. *It is truly an astounding station.

I managed to get a ride through it a few years ago, but most of the
lighting was off at the time. I've heard that they don't throw
passengers off the 6 train at Brooklyn bridge any more, so it's easy
to do it now. It's not far from the old Court Street station where
the Transit Museum is now, so worth doing both at the same time.
Old June 29th 12, 08:29 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa....

CJB

Thanks for the link. *It is truly an astounding station.

I managed to get a ride through it a few years ago, but most of the
lighting was off at the time. *I've heard that they don't throw
passengers off the 6 train at Brooklyn bridge any more, so it's easy
to do it now.

Yes - as it says in the article....
Tim

Old June 29th 12, 08:51 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 29, 9:29*am, TimB wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:05*am, Stephen Furley wrote: On Jun 29, 5:39*am, george conklin wrote:

On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa...

CJB

Thanks for the link. *It is truly an astounding station.

I managed to get a ride through it a few years ago, but most of the
lighting was off at the time. *I've heard that they don't throw
passengers off the 6 train at Brooklyn bridge any more, so it's easy
to do it now.

Yes - as it says in the article....
* Tim

I see. I wasn't able to read the article at the time; it was coming
up with the Daily Mail heading, but the rest was blank. That was on
the bus on the way to work; I'll try again later.
Old June 29th 12, 09:30 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa...

CJB

Thanks for the link. *It is truly an astounding station.

I managed to get a ride through it a few years ago, but most of the
lighting was off at the time. *I've heard that they don't throw
passengers off the 6 train at Brooklyn bridge any more, so it's easy
to do it now.

Yes - as it says in the article....
* Tim

I see. *I wasn't able to read the article at the time; it was coming
up with the Daily Mail heading, but the rest was blank. *That was on
the bus on the way to work; I'll try again later.

Try

http://www.thefineartphoto.net/2012/01/

Chris B.
Old June 29th 12, 06:18 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 28, 8:18*pm, CJB wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa...

CJB

Guastavino tile. One of the captions mentions it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guastavino_tile

I saw a book about Guastavino over at the National Building Museum (in
DC) two years ago. The work is so magnificent.

The link to http://www.guastavino.net/ at the Wikipedia page is bad.
The Architecture School at MIT maintains that site, I think. Just a
minute, please....

Here you go: http://architecture.mit.edu/class/guastavino/news.html .
There's another link there like that. I have the email address of the
person at MIT who's in charge of that site. I might get around to
writing him.
Old June 29th 12, 08:45 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2012 01:18, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-station.html

CJB

Was the station so suddenly closed, though? Was there advanced warning
of any sort?

I can do you one better; They decided to shutter South Kentish Town on
what is now the London Underground's Northern Line in one afternoon in
in June of 1924, and promptly acted on that decision. The station was
temporarily closed that afternoon because of industrial action at a
local power supplier, and they simply never re-opened it.

Low pax volumes was the reason.

You'd never get away with that today, I'm certain.
Old June 29th 12, 08:48 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.americas,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6/28/2012 5:18 PM, CJB wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-ghost-subwa...

CJB

Thanks for the link. It is truly an astounding station.

I managed to get a ride through it a few years ago, but most of the
lighting was off at the time. I've heard that they don't throw
passengers off the 6 train at Brooklyn bridge any more, so it's easy
to do it now. It's not far from the old Court Street station where
the Transit Museum is now, so worth doing both at the same time.

... except for the fact that the loop and the transit museum are in
different boroughs.

Assuming that you rode the loop first, you would have to cross back over
to the downtown tracks, at Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall, get on a
Lexington Line train for another four stops to Borough Hall in Brooklyn
and then walk another two or three blocks to Court Street station.