London Banter

-   -   ELL gone to HELL (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13145-ell-gone-hell.html)

eastender[_4_] June 29th 12 04:01 PM

ELL gone to HELL

So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

[email protected] June 29th 12 08:23 PM

ELL gone to HELL

On 29/06/2012 17:01, eastender wrote:
So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

Lord, calm down! These things happen from time to time.

Robin9 June 29th 12 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 131593)
On 29/06/2012 17:01, eastender wrote:
So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

Lord, calm down! These things happen from time to time.

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all
one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

[email protected] June 29th 12 09:42 PM

ELL gone to HELL

In article ,
(eastender) wrote:

So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the
whole system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring
for such a new railway.

According to Twitter it was back by early evening (19:30-20:00).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

eastender[_4_] June 30th 12 10:35 AM

ELL gone to HELL

In article ,
Robin9 wrote:

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that
these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all

one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

Quite so - it was quite a shock to be told that the whole system
(initially from Highbury to New Cross anyway) was down and to abandon
it. This is not the Jubilee line. Or the District/Ham&City, which I'd
just changed from.

As an aside, I had to go into central London yesterday and it really is
quite difficult to move around in places - tried to go from Bloomsbury
Way to St James area and ended up walking most of the way thanks to
either bus gridlock and bus diversions thanks to the TottCRoad works.

E.

Mizter T June 30th 12 10:37 AM

ELL gone to HELL

On 29/06/2012 22:34, Robin9 wrote:

;131593 Wrote:

On 29/06/2012 17:01, eastender wrote:-
So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the
whole system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not
reassuring for such a new railway.

Lord, calm down! These things happen from time to time.

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest
that these things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new
railway, least of all

one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

I concur with the basic premise, but wonder if you can back up the
"inordinate expense" comment?

[email protected] June 30th 12 12:14 PM

ELL gone to HELL

On 30/06/2012 11:35, eastender wrote:
In article ,
Robin9 wrote:

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that
these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all

one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

The line has operated quite well, since it started operating in April
2010. While mishaps are unfortunate, they do happen from time to time.

Quite so - it was quite a shock to be told that the whole system
(initially from Highbury to New Cross anyway) was down and to abandon
it. This is not the Jubilee line. Or the District/Ham&City, which I'd
just changed from.

Oh my God, what are we going to do?! We couldn't possibly take the
initiative to figure it out for ourselves now, could we?

As an aside, I had to go into central London yesterday and it really is
quite difficult to move around in places - tried to go from Bloomsbury
Way to St James area and ended up walking most of the way thanks to
either bus gridlock and bus diversions thanks to the TottCRoad works.

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

eastender[_4_] June 30th 12 01:50 PM

ELL gone to HELL

In article ,
" wrote:

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

Not really a whinge - the ELL going down for such a long time is a
fairly major event and worth reporting, as it may be not be a one-off.

As for travel in central London, this is pretty relevant given the
Olympics and general summer traffic.

E.

[email protected] June 30th 12 02:25 PM

ELL gone to HELL

On 30/06/2012 14:50, eastender wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

Not really a whinge - the ELL going down for such a long time is a
fairly major event and worth reporting, as it may be not be a one-off.

Whinge. Unsurprising.

[email protected] July 1st 12 01:35 PM

ELL gone to HELL

In article ,
(eastender) wrote:

As an aside, I had to go into central London yesterday and it really
is quite difficult to move around in places - tried to go from
Bloomsbury Way to St James area and ended up walking most of the way
thanks to either bus gridlock and bus diversions thanks to the
TottCRoad works.

You could have cycled, as I did from King's Cross to Waterloo and back.

--
Colin Rosenstiel