Old June 29th 12, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL gone to HELL

So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

Old June 29th 12, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2012 17:01, eastender wrote:
So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

Lord, calm down! These things happen from time to time.

Old June 29th 12, 09:34 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On 29/06/2012 17:01, eastender wrote:
So I got on the ELL at Whitechapel this afternoon to be told the whole
system was down. A signalling fault, apparently. Not reassuring for such
a new railway.

E.

Lord, calm down! These things happen from time to time.
I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all
one fitted out at such inordinate expense.
Old June 30th 12, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin9 wrote:

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that
these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all

one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

Quite so - it was quite a shock to be told that the whole system
(initially from Highbury to New Cross anyway) was down and to abandon
it. This is not the Jubilee line. Or the District/Ham&City, which I'd
just changed from.

As an aside, I had to go into central London yesterday and it really is
quite difficult to move around in places - tried to go from Bloomsbury
Way to St James area and ended up walking most of the way thanks to
either bus gridlock and bus diversions thanks to the TottCRoad works.

E.

Old June 30th 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2012 11:35, eastender wrote:
In article ,
Robin9 wrote:

I don't see any signs of panic. The OP is quite right to suggest that
these
things shouldn't happen from time to time in a new railway, least of all

one fitted out at such inordinate expense.

The line has operated quite well, since it started operating in April
2010. While mishaps are unfortunate, they do happen from time to time.

Quite so - it was quite a shock to be told that the whole system
(initially from Highbury to New Cross anyway) was down and to abandon
it. This is not the Jubilee line. Or the District/Ham&City, which I'd
just changed from.

Oh my God, what are we going to do?! We couldn't possibly take the
initiative to figure it out for ourselves now, could we?

As an aside, I had to go into central London yesterday and it really is
quite difficult to move around in places - tried to go from Bloomsbury
Way to St James area and ended up walking most of the way thanks to
either bus gridlock and bus diversions thanks to the TottCRoad works.

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

Old June 30th 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
" wrote:

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

Not really a whinge - the ELL going down for such a long time is a
fairly major event and worth reporting, as it may be not be a one-off.

As for travel in central London, this is pretty relevant given the
Olympics and general summer traffic.

E.
Old June 30th 12, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2012 14:50, eastender wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

So, the whinging just isn't limited to the ELL, I see.

Not really a whinge - the ELL going down for such a long time is a
fairly major event and worth reporting, as it may be not be a one-off.

Whinge. Unsurprising.