Old July 30th 12, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster at Paddington (H&C Line)

The new ticket hall above Paddington's platforms 15 and 16 (to and from
Hammersmith) is fairly large and seems useful at first sight. The
doubling of the stairs to the platforms should reduce congestion.
I went there, today, with cash. and a wish to top up an Oyster card.

The only ticketing facilities seem to be 3 Queue Buster Machines.
Salient features: "... debit and credit card machines; ... has the
capacity to top up Oyster cards; ... do not take coins or bank notes"
cf. http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/rci_ticket_guide

I am surprised the ticket hall can't sell Oyster cards or accept cash.
Customers seem to be expected to walk to The Lawn ticket hall, which has
a full set of Oyster-selling facilities.

Fortunately, I had spare credit and topped up at my next station.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old July 31st 12, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I am surprised the ticket hall can't sell Oyster cards or accept cash.
Customers seem to be expected to walk to The Lawn ticket hall, which has
a full set of Oyster-selling facilities.

It isn't finished yet. All the normal station facilities, i.e. wall
mounted TVMs and an assistance window, will be at the west end eventually.

(There'll also be a third set of stairs at the east end of the platform.
They couldn't start building them until the old stairs were removed.)

Paul S

Old September 20th 12, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Tue, 31 Jul 2012
11:56:59 in uk.transport.london, Paul Scott pmnotscottvalid@btinternet.
com writes
"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I am surprised the ticket hall can't sell Oyster cards or accept cash.
Customers seem to be expected to walk to The Lawn ticket hall, which has
a full set of Oyster-selling facilities.

It isn't finished yet. All the normal station facilities, i.e. wall
mounted TVMs and an assistance window, will be at the west end
eventually.

(There'll also be a third set of stairs at the east end of the
platform. They couldn't start building them until the old stairs were
removed.)

I was there and spoke to staff.
If a customer turns up without a working Oyster card or with cash to pay
for travel, it seems s/he will be allowed to use the system and asked to
pay at the other end.
I am much happier with the customer service in that arrangement.
--
Walter Briscoe