Old August 20th 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thailand - railway through Market

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,

"India", wow, never knew you could catch through train from North America to
India! :-)

Street running of passenger and freight trains in North America wasn't that
uncommon.

--
Cheers.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old August 20th 12, 08:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

[Apologies if my trimming has mucked up the attributions]
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:16:12 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:
On 20/08/2012 14:42, Graham Harrison wrote:
wrote in message
I have seen videos of trains going through that market before. Are
there any other trains that go through such built up areas or
something similar?

I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,
which runs at street levels via some residential areas, for example.

Ahem ... India? Indiana maybe? Mind you nothing like what it once
was and they keep talking about rerouting out of the streets of Michigan
City.

It does depend on definition. I came across 2 lines in Japan, one in
Tokyo (Toden Arakawa line) and one in Kyoto (Randen) which use tram like
cars but run largely on private RoW but short sections of street
running.

What about Aguas Calientes in Peru? There's no road there and the main
street of the town is dominated by the railway that runs straight
through it

San Pedro Sula, Honduras. The one passenger train service in the country
runs daily along tracks that were colonised by the surrounding market when
the service was suspended about 5 years ago. The rest of the time, vendors
spread their wares right across the tracks.

The train consists of two ageless coaches between two large diesel locos.

It could give rise to a new form of train robbery: train shoplifting, by
grabbing stuff through the windows. Except that the train goes at about
jogging pace, so you'd get caught.

Colin McKenzie.

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.
Old August 20th 12, 09:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20/08/2012 20:21, Roger Traviss wrote:
I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,

"India", wow, never knew you could catch through train from North America to
India! :-)

Street running of passenger and freight trains in North America wasn't that
uncommon.

I saw such a case some years ago in Portland, Maine.
Old August 21st 12, 12:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20/08/2012 20:21, Roger Traviss wrote:
I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,

"India", wow, never knew you could catch through train from North America to
India! :-)

Street running of passenger and freight trains in North America wasn't that
uncommon.

Indiana, everybody. I meant Indiana.
Old August 21st 12, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/08/2012 11:07, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:02:05 +0100, "
wrote:

On 20/08/2012 20:21, Roger Traviss wrote:
I know that there is the South Shore Line from Chicago into India,

"India", wow, never knew you could catch through train from North America to
India! :-)

Street running of passenger and freight trains in North America wasn't that
uncommon.

Indiana, everybody. I meant Indiana.

Wailing cat siren goes off in head,
You Sod, I've now got "Indiana wants me" as an earworm.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5UdXq-JLQ
(1971, BBC Top of the Pops, weird video)

For Indiana, read Dorset! IIRC that was shot in the quarry they used
for Dr Who. Is that a Vauxhall Victor masquerading as an American
police cruiser?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail