London Banter

-   -   Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13222-strange-track-layout-moorgate-northern.html)

Paul Cummins[_4_] September 16th 12 09:12 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

Evening all

I;ve just reviewed a Youtube video, which shows a peculiarity at Noorgate
northern, southbound platform.

At the southern end of the platform, the line cuts to the right, to
entern tunnel on the right habd side of the cut, instead of the (natural)
left hand side on a right/hand platform.

Anyone else noticed this? IS it a hangover from the 1923 widening works,
or is there somethign on the opposite side of the tunnel - such as a
Str*t*g*c R*s*rv* ?

Anyone with layout plans pre and post?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

Subterraneo September 17th 12 07:53 AM

On 16/09/2012 22:12, Paul Cummins wrote:
Evening all

I;ve just reviewed a Youtube video, which shows a peculiarity at Noorgate
northern, southbound platform.

At the southern end of the platform, the line cuts to the right, to
entern tunnel on the right habd side of the cut, instead of the (natural)
left hand side on a right/hand platform.

Anyone else noticed this? IS it a hangover from the 1923 widening works,
or is there somethign on the opposite side of the tunnel - such as a
Str*t*g*c R*s*rv* ?

Anyone with layout plans pre and post?

It's only the now-disused crossover that the southbound tunnel heads
toward. The platform extension works do indeed explain why the track
cuts across the platform area.

Paul Cummins[_4_] September 17th 12 09:05 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

We were about to embark at Dover, when nowhere@com (Subterraneo) came up
to me and whispered:

he platform extension works do indeed explain why the track
cuts across the platform area.

Thought it would be something like that. I'll pop up there myself
sometime soon and have a look.

Offramp September 18th 12 01:20 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

There is a larger puzzle.
As one travels south on the Bank branch Northern Line the track changes sides a few times.
They change sides at Moorgate/Bank & at Kennington.

Paul Cummins[_4_] September 18th 12 01:45 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

As one travels south on the Bank branch Northern Line the track
changes sides a few times. They change sides at Moorgate/Bank & at
Kennington.

Not much of a puzzle...

The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

When the Bank Extensionw as opened, the tunnels were flattened out before
London Bridge, but for Right Hand running.

This was normalised at Moorgate after the Euston extension, and at
kennington after the stockwell extension. But as against switch the sides
at the middle (RHR) section, that was left as is.

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since I was last
at the King Willinam Street terminus.

Recliner[_2_] September 18th 12 02:17 PM

Paul Cummins wrote:

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since I was last
at the King Willinam Street terminus.

You have an impressively long memory!

Paul Cummins[_4_] September 18th 12 04:58 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Recliner) came up to me and whispered:

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since
I was last at the King Willinam Street terminus.

You have an impressively long memory!

Sorry,, got an extra 1 at the start of that number.

In all seriousness, I did all the background for, and started writing, a
book on the Underground about 20 years ago. Then the Internet happened.

Recliner[_2_] September 18th 12 07:24 PM

Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Recliner) came up to me and whispered:

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since
I was last at the King Willinam Street terminus.

You have an impressively long memory!

Sorry,, got an extra 1 at the start of that number.

In all seriousness, I did all the background for, and started writing, a
book on the Underground about 20 years ago. Then the Internet happened.

I managed a trip down to the old station and the under-river tunnels some
years ago (12, 30). I don't think it's possible to do that any more.

[email protected] September 18th 12 08:24 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

In article ,
lid (Paul Cummins) wrote:

We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

As one travels south on the Bank branch Northern Line the track
changes sides a few times. They change sides at Moorgate/Bank & at
Kennington.

Not much of a puzzle...

The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

When the Bank Extensionw as opened, the tunnels were flattened out before
London Bridge, but for Right Hand running.

This was normalised at Moorgate after the Euston extension, and at
kennington after the stockwell extension. But as against switch the sides
at the middle (RHR) section, that was left as is.

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since I was last
at the King Willinam Street terminus.

Except that Stockwell was the original Southern terminus of the C&SLR.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Offramp September 25th 12 02:48 PM

Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

On Sep 18, 2:49*pm, (Paul Cummins)
wrote:

The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

When the Bank Extension was opened, the tunnels were flattened out before
London Bridge, but for Right Hand running.

This was normalised at Moorgate after the Euston extension, and at
kennington after the stockwell extension. But as against switch the sides
at the middle (RHR) section, that was left as is.

I think that in order to understand this I need to know what
"flattened out" means.
I am afraid I don't know what it means. It cannot mean "oblated" as we
know it; it must have a technical sense - and that technical sense is
lost on me so your explanation is without meaning.