Old September 16th 12, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

Evening all

I;ve just reviewed a Youtube video, which shows a peculiarity at Noorgate
northern, southbound platform.

At the southern end of the platform, the line cuts to the right, to
entern tunnel on the right habd side of the cut, instead of the (natural)
left hand side on a right/hand platform.

Anyone else noticed this? IS it a hangover from the 1923 widening works,
or is there somethign on the opposite side of the tunnel - such as a
Str*t*g*c R*s*rv* ?

Anyone with layout plans pre and post?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

Old September 17th 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/09/2012 22:12, Paul Cummins wrote:
Evening all

I;ve just reviewed a Youtube video, which shows a peculiarity at Noorgate
northern, southbound platform.

At the southern end of the platform, the line cuts to the right, to
entern tunnel on the right habd side of the cut, instead of the (natural)
left hand side on a right/hand platform.

Anyone else noticed this? IS it a hangover from the 1923 widening works,
or is there somethign on the opposite side of the tunnel - such as a
Str*t*g*c R*s*rv* ?

Anyone with layout plans pre and post?

It's only the now-disused crossover that the southbound tunnel heads
toward. The platform extension works do indeed explain why the track
cuts across the platform area.
Old September 17th 12, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when nowhere@com (Subterraneo) came up
to me and whispered:

he platform extension works do indeed explain why the track
cuts across the platform area.

Thought it would be something like that. I'll pop up there myself
sometime soon and have a look.

Old September 18th 12, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There is a larger puzzle.
As one travels south on the Bank branch Northern Line the track changes sides a few times.
They change sides at Moorgate/Bank & at Kennington.
Old September 18th 12, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Cummins wrote:

This is all IIRC, of course - it's been over 112 years since I was last
at the King Willinam Street terminus.

You have an impressively long memory!
Old September 25th 12, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 18, 2:49*pm, (Paul Cummins)
wrote:

The original CSLR between King William Street and Kennington was always
Right Hand Running - no idea why.

When the Bank Extension was opened, the tunnels were flattened out before
London Bridge, but for Right Hand running.

This was normalised at Moorgate after the Euston extension, and at
kennington after the stockwell extension. But as against switch the sides
at the middle (RHR) section, that was left as is.

I think that in order to understand this I need to know what
"flattened out" means.
I am afraid I don't know what it means. It cannot mean "oblated" as we
know it; it must have a technical sense - and that technical sense is
lost on me so your explanation is without meaning.