Old September 20th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:51:16 +0200, lid
(iMark) wrote:

It also compares very well to travelling in other parts of the UK. We
occasionally use the bus in Bournemouth. There are two operators there
and tickets between Yellow Buses and Wilts and Dorset are not
interchangeble. Even in a city where there is a decent network, the
non-interchangebilty of tickets is extremely annoying and expensive. Not
everyone has an OAP bus pass. :-)

You can buy a "Get Around" ticket which does cover all operators in
Bournemouth and Poole. Unfortunately it is not very well promoted.

http://www.gettingabout.info/GettingAboutTicket.php

Thanks for that. Never heard of that ticket.

But the following quote from the website is bewildering.
"The exact area of validity is shown on the local 'Area Bus Map'
available from the Information Office at Bournemouth Rail and Coach
Station - underneath Asda."
Is it too much trouble in 2012 to turn that map into a pdf and make it
available from the website?

It's also bewildering that the bus companies don't mention this ticket
on their websites (or have hidden the info somewhere I couldnt find it).
Old September 20th 12, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:29:53 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
Like I said, not that much smaller unless you're going to suggest that extra
50 miles makes all the difference.

That's 25% difference.

No, its 20%. 50/250, yes? Hope you don't require maths in your job. And which
bit of "not that much smaller" are your clearly having trouble with?
FWIW the NYCS is almost the same route miles as london but has almost twice
the number of stations.

But if you want to split hairs - the
new york subway also has flat fares.

So?

So if it works in cities the size of moscow and new york it would work here
and special pleading about london being some unusual case due to its size is
specious at best.

Not as much as it should and its slowly being reduced as a percentage.

Are you willing to pay the extra taxes necessary to pay for an increased
subsidy?

Yes. Mainly because it would cost me less in the long run. I subsidise
buses and trains oop narf via my taxes which I'm never going to use, no reason
they can't subsidise the tube a bit more.

B2003

Old September 20th 12, 10:44 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:06:01 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

It's often more of a case of how big the subsidy is. Not unusual for
some overseas Public Transport operations to run on the basis of one
third fare box, two thirds subsidy.

TFL costs about twice the farebox revenue to run, iirc (£5.5bn operating
costs plus £2bn capital projects) versus £3.5bn. So not exactly
"profitable".

Thanks, Roland. I was under the impression that the bus services in
London were operated by companies that were in it for profit.

They certainly are in Birmingham, (National Express) where I live, and,
unless you live in the more affluent parts of the city, or along traffic-
choked corridors, the bus service is appalling. No wonder, really, when
you consider that in excess of half of the bus garages closed shortly
after the buses were taken away from BCT.

--
Alex
Old September 20th 12, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote

Council tax wouldn't come into it. The subsidy is from central government.

So what rate of income tax, or VAT, would you accept to pay for it? Should
other public services - gas, electricity, telephones, water and sewerage, be
heavily subsidised out of taxation?

Peter

Old September 20th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:45:46 +0100, Peter Masson wrote:

So what rate of income tax, or VAT, would you accept to pay for it?
Should other public services - gas, electricity, telephones, water and
sewerage, be heavily subsidised out of taxation?

The basic rate of income tax was 35% in the days when we had good public
services.

--
Alex
Old September 20th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Graeme wrote:
Like I said, not that much smaller unless you're going to suggest that extra
50 miles makes all the difference.

That's 25% difference.

No, its 20%. 50/250, yes?

50/200 = 1/4 = 25% yes?

Hope you don't require maths in your job. And which
bit of "not that much smaller" are your clearly having trouble with?

25% larger or 20% smaller, whichever you prefer, is quite a big
difference. Would you say a 20% cut in your income was not that much?
A 25% increase in mine would be quite a lot.

FWIW the NYCS is almost the same route miles as london but has almost twice
the number of stations.

But if you want to split hairs - the
new york subway also has flat fares.

So?

So if it works in cities the size of moscow and new york it would work here
and special pleading about london being some unusual case due to its size is
specious at best.

You were the one making size comparisons (oo er missis!)

Not as much as it should and its slowly being reduced as a percentage.

Are you willing to pay the extra taxes necessary to pay for an increased
subsidy?

Yes. Mainly because it would cost me less in the long run. I subsidise
buses and trains oop narf via my taxes which I'm never going to use, no reason
they can't subsidise the tube a bit more.

I bet you change your mind in the voting booth.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old September 20th 12, 11:04 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 20/09/2012 11:44, Alex Potter wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:06:01 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

It's often more of a case of how big the subsidy is. Not unusual for
some overseas Public Transport operations to run on the basis of one
third fare box, two thirds subsidy.

TFL costs about twice the farebox revenue to run, iirc (£5.5bn operating
costs plus £2bn capital projects) versus £3.5bn. So not exactly
"profitable".

Thanks, Roland. I was under the impression that the bus services in
London were operated by companies that were in it for profit.

They are.

They certainly are in Birmingham, (National Express) where I live, and,
unless you live in the more affluent parts of the city, or along traffic-
choked corridors, the bus service is appalling. No wonder, really, when
you consider that in excess of half of the bus garages closed shortly
after the buses were taken away from BCT.

Birmingham, and the rest of the country, works under a different regime.
The fact that London has a different funding model was a tacit
admission by the tory government that their method of bus deregulation
didn't actually work.