London Banter

-   -   Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013" (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13269-free-tube-station-wifi-extended.html)

Mizter T October 24th 12 05:06 PM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/index.html

"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

Spyke October 24th 12 08:07 PM

On 24/10/2012 18:06, Mizter T wrote:
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/index.html

"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

Maybe Boris should use some of that Olympic underspend to keep it
permanently free. That's a legacy that would benefit far more Londoners
than a new park and housing development in Stratford.

Roland Perry October 25th 12 06:54 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 18:06:34 on Wed, 24 Oct
2012, Mizter T remarked:
"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM, does that mean this
wifi would be free for me? On the way to London today, will try out the
free wifi for the first time.

Roland Perry October 25th 12 11:34 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 11:43:20 on
Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM, does that mean this
wifi would be free for me? On the way to London today, will try out the
free wifi for the first time.

It is free for everybody at the moment regardless of network.

I was asking about post early 2013.

I have a Virgin PAYG phone but have only managed minimal usage of the
tube wi-fi - principally because I have not had minutes to wait for a
train and my local station is not yet equipped. Trying to log on from
a train while it pauses at a station is just about impossible as the
dwelll time is too short.

What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a few
seconds.

When the scheme launched the only Virgin customers indentified for
future free access were those who take a Virgin Media broadband / TV
*and* phone service. People like me on PAYG would continue to pay
which I find a tad pathetic. I was not terribly happy that as a Virgin
customer for years I get no apparent "benefit" from this wi-fi scheme.

The reason why most operators are rolling out free-wifi is to get low
priority traffic off their GSM/3G networks, which they can't build out
fast enough to cope with the demand. But if they are providing wifi in
places without GSM/3G coverage, then that business model looks less
attractive, but could be justified as a way to get people used to wifi
at all.

Basil Jet[_3_] October 25th 12 12:11 PM

On 2012\10\25 07:54, Roland Perry wrote:

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM

An android taking a virgin, now that I'd like to see.

[email protected] October 25th 12 12:42 PM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:34:13 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a few
seconds.

I've never seen anything approximating information on either of those
"services", much less grabbed a useful amount from them.

B2003

Roland Perry October 25th 12 01:40 PM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 12:42:49 on Thu, 25 Oct
2012, d remarked:
What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a few
seconds.

I've never seen anything approximating information on either of those
"services", much less grabbed a useful amount from them.

Then you aren't looking very carefully.

Twitter feeds from ToCs are an obvious example.

Roland Perry October 25th 12 04:54 PM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 12:34:13 on Thu, 25 Oct
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
I have a Virgin PAYG phone but have only managed minimal usage of the
tube wi-fi - principally because I have not had minutes to wait for a
train and my local station is not yet equipped. Trying to log on from
a train while it pauses at a station is just about impossible as the
dwelll time is too short.

What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a
few seconds.

I gave this the "mystery shopper" treatment at Westminster and all
stations to Kings Cross (via Victoria).

Despite claiming to be logged into the Virgin hotspots all the way at
stations, I didn't manage to send/receive any traffic at all. Not even
Skype, which usually connects itself up with a couple of seconds of
seeing connectivity.

So this initiative gets a resounding "NUL POINTS" from me (which seems
to echo your own experience).

Spyke October 25th 12 11:52 PM

On 25/10/2012 17:54, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I tried it on the way home from Baker St to Waterloo this evening. My
phone has already been set up to auto-connect to the Virgin Wi-fi and as
soon as the train pulled into Embankment I was able to connect, sign in,
and look up the platform of my mainline train from Waterloo using the
National Rail app (very handy when time is tight).

I'm sure I could've downloaded a few e-mails or sent a tweet/updated
Facebook in the same timespan.

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

I do hope that when it goes to 'service information only', this will
still allow the various National Rail apps to use it.

Roland Perry October 26th 12 06:53 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 00:52:40 on Fri, 26
Oct 2012, Spyke remarked:

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent me
to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.

Robin[_4_] October 26th 12 07:41 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent
me to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia phone
has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the infrastucture seems
to be working. What browser(s) did you use to try to connect?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Roland Perry October 26th 12 09:05 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 08:41:17 on Fri, 26 Oct
2012, Robin remarked:
That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent
me to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia phone
has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the infrastucture seems
to be working. What browser(s) did you use to try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is required
by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners etc) which are
all free-standing.

Robin[_4_] October 26th 12 09:23 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia
phone has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the
infrastucture seems to be working. What browser(s) did you use to
try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is
required by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners
etc) which are all free-standing.

It appears you did not RTFM. Quelle surprise.
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/using...tml#how-to-get

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Neil Williams October 26th 12 11:25 AM

Mizter T wrote:

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Indeed.

This will however put me off using it. There must be a more practical
approach to this that means you don't have to log in each time.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

[email protected] October 26th 12 11:35 AM

In article , (Robin) wrote:

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia
phone has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the
infrastucture seems to be working. What browser(s) did you use to
try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is
required by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners
etc) which are all free-standing.

It appears you did not RTFM. Quelle surprise.
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/using...tml#how-to-get

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require
you to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to
make the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only
"free" wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to need a browser.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Cummins[_4_] October 26th 12 11:39 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

We were about to embark at Dover, when ()
came up to me and whispered:

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to
need a browser.

I connect to several different wi-fi services when out and about - my
phone WIFI software knows how to be a "browser" without any involvement
from me, and just clicks into the service that's available, even if a
Username and Password is needed.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

Bruce[_2_] October 26th 12 08:13 PM

Neil Williams wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Indeed.

This will however put me off using it. There must be a more practical
approach to this that means you don't have to log in each time.

There is a way around it if you install a second browser on your
phone. I use Firefox and the default (Android) browser on my HTC. I
use the Android browser to log in and Firefox to surf.

When I get to a station it is a simple matter of clicking "Back" in
the default browser and then "Refresh". You can click "Back" just
before entering the station to give more browsing time..

Offramp October 27th 12 09:42 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

I have noticed that the signal stays at four bars when one sits in the
carriage; it goes down to three bars in the tunnel, then dwindles
fairly slowly down to zero. Perhaps if one got on at Leicester Square
and alighted at Covent Garden the signal would be continuous.

Roland Perry October 27th 12 10:55 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 06:35:20
on Fri, 26 Oct 2012, remarked:

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to need a browser.

I go to my phone's Wifi settings ("set up and manage wireless access
points") and select the requisite SSID. If it needs a WEP/WPA etc, then
that's remembered for next time.

Sat here at home I can see on my phone:

Two of my own hotspots
BTOpenzone - remembered[1]
BTHomeHub-blah - secured with WEP x3 at least
Virginmedia-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2 x3 at least
BTHomeHub2-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BTHub3-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Sky-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Netgear-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BOH Office - secured with WPA/WPA2
TALKTALK-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
AutoBTwifi - EAP
BTwifi-with-FON - open
BTOpenzone-H - open
BTWifi - open
BZH - secured with WPA/WPA2
8WFC - secured with WPA/WPA2
Mr.Router! - secured with WPA/WPA2
RS_001 - secured with WEP
EnGenius - secured with WPA/WPA2

It's a bit busy out there!

[1] I don't know they still have one, but last time I used my BTOpenzone
account regularly about three years ago there was a gadget for my
Windows PC which logged you in automatically (and also had a list of
their International roaming hotspots).

[email protected] October 27th 12 02:16 PM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
06:35:20 on Fri, 26 Oct 2012,
remarked:

[...]

And for open systems that control access through a browser like East Coast?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry October 28th 12 06:21 AM

Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In message , at 09:16:59
on Sat, 27 Oct 2012, remarked:
[...]

My house is a little too far from the ECML to be picking up hotspots on
the trains :)

What I do know is that my attempts to use the East Coast wifi using a
laptop were generally unsuccessful due to a protracted log-in process
and extremely sluggish throughput (five minutes between screens).

Theo Markettos October 28th 12 11:32 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
I gave this the "mystery shopper" treatment at Westminster and all
stations to Kings Cross (via Victoria).

Saturday: Finsbury Park to Vauxhall, Victoria line
FP: no signal

KX-Victoria, in stations: connected to wifi, but VM landing page said
'something went wrong, make sure cookies are enabled on your phone'. Didn't
do anything else (needless to say, they were enabled)

Can't remember if there was any signal south of Victoria.

Sunday:
Waterloo Bakerloo corridor: no signal

Northern line Waterloo northbound platform:
successfully received login page, signed up, no problems, could see Google

Waterloo-Tottenham Court Road, Northern Line stations:
Connected OK, but couldn't connect to websites

Tottenham Court Road to Bank, Central Line.
Worked fine in stations.

So not quite 'nul points', but not terribly useful. On Android the time
from emerging from the tunnel to rescanning and connecting is about 70% of
the dwell time in the station - you have about 15-20s of doors closing and
pulling out of the station before the signal goes again. When it worked it
was enough to check train times (with a pre-entered URL - eg
traintimes.org.uk/kgx/edb ) but not much that requires interaction.

Theo

David Cantrell October 29th 12 12:24 PM

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:52:40AM +0100, Spyke wrote:

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

Dunno about you, but *I* don't have to do that. Their page seems to pop
up randomly once every several days.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

You know you're getting old when you fancy the
teenager's parent and ignore the teenager
-- Paul M in uknot