Old October 24th 12, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/index.html

"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

Old October 24th 12, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/10/2012 18:06, Mizter T wrote:
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/index.html

"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

Maybe Boris should use some of that Olympic underspend to keep it
permanently free. That's a legacy that would benefit far more Londoners
than a new park and housing development in Stratford.
Old October 25th 12, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:06:34 on Wed, 24 Oct
2012, Mizter T remarked:
"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM, does that mean this
wifi would be free for me? On the way to London today, will try out the
free wifi for the first time.
Old October 25th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:43:20 on
Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
"Until early 2013 we're giving everyone full internet access. After
that, full internet access will be available to customers of Virgin
Media and selected networks, as well as on a Pay As You Go basis."

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM, does that mean this
wifi would be free for me? On the way to London today, will try out the
free wifi for the first time.

It is free for everybody at the moment regardless of network.

I was asking about post early 2013.

I have a Virgin PAYG phone but have only managed minimal usage of the
tube wi-fi - principally because I have not had minutes to wait for a
train and my local station is not yet equipped. Trying to log on from
a train while it pauses at a station is just about impossible as the
dwelll time is too short.

What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a few
seconds.

When the scheme launched the only Virgin customers indentified for
future free access were those who take a Virgin Media broadband / TV
*and* phone service. People like me on PAYG would continue to pay
which I find a tad pathetic. I was not terribly happy that as a Virgin
customer for years I get no apparent "benefit" from this wi-fi scheme.

The reason why most operators are rolling out free-wifi is to get low
priority traffic off their GSM/3G networks, which they can't build out
fast enough to cope with the demand. But if they are providing wifi in
places without GSM/3G coverage, then that business model looks less
attractive, but could be justified as a way to get people used to wifi
at all.
Old October 25th 12, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\10\25 07:54, Roland Perry wrote:

I've got an Android Phone that'll take a Virgin SIM

An android taking a virgin, now that I'd like to see.

Old October 25th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:34:13 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a few
seconds.

I've never seen anything approximating information on either of those
"services", much less grabbed a useful amount from them.

B2003

Old October 25th 12, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:34:13 on Thu, 25 Oct
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
I have a Virgin PAYG phone but have only managed minimal usage of the
tube wi-fi - principally because I have not had minutes to wait for a
train and my local station is not yet equipped. Trying to log on from
a train while it pauses at a station is just about impossible as the
dwelll time is too short.

What are you trying to log into? I'd hope something like a Twitter or
Facebook account could grab a useful amount of information in just a
few seconds.

I gave this the "mystery shopper" treatment at Westminster and all
stations to Kings Cross (via Victoria).

Despite claiming to be logged into the Virgin hotspots all the way at
stations, I didn't manage to send/receive any traffic at all. Not even
Skype, which usually connects itself up with a couple of seconds of
seeing connectivity.

So this initiative gets a resounding "NUL POINTS" from me (which seems
to echo your own experience).
Old October 26th 12, 12:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/10/2012 17:54, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I tried it on the way home from Baker St to Waterloo this evening. My
phone has already been set up to auto-connect to the Virgin Wi-fi and as
soon as the train pulled into Embankment I was able to connect, sign in,
and look up the platform of my mainline train from Waterloo using the
National Rail app (very handy when time is tight).

I'm sure I could've downloaded a few e-mails or sent a tweet/updated
Facebook in the same timespan.

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

I do hope that when it goes to 'service information only', this will
still allow the various National Rail apps to use it.
Old October 26th 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:52:40 on Fri, 26
Oct 2012, Spyke remarked:

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent me
to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.