Old October 29th 12, 01:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default We've become wingless chicken

"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:
On Oct 28, 11:04 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:
I say that you must know what's going on in the jungle, and if you
don't like it, make noise. Someone comes up with this clever sati

"Chickens have more rights to cross the road than you do."

In Miami, drivers are more likely to stop for one of our many stray
roosters than for a pedestrian. That is just how it works here. If you
dont like it, dont come.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/index.p...i-pedestrians/

MY COMMENT:

"Chicken got more respect because they have the support of the Humane
Society. Funny thing is that we are more humane toward animals than
other human beings.

I would say this rage keeps many pedestrians and cyclists from ever
coming out of the cage. So we are chicken in the cage."

***

Is that why chicken are so noisy? Tempting conclusion. I eat eggs laid
by "free chicken."

Or maybe the guy calls pedestrians "chicken" means it. They figure
chicken should be in the cage. It's noticeably worse when you "put on
wings" and ride a bike.

Growing wings must have been a revolutionary step in evolution, one
that must have caused countless crashes. But being on the ground
wasn't a choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

wrote:
[...]

Someone replies to the article above with this insightful post:

tjblaze says:
Youre wrong, Matt. That attitude has nothing to do with Latin
culture or Miami Beach. If it did, the pedestrian injury rate would
be higher there than in other cities and in fact, the Miami area ranks
behind Tampa and Orlando in that regard. Your attitude, well
expressed, is actually the result of 80 years of brainwashing by the
automobile and oil industries. Its a false value. In reality,
people (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends,
lovers) are all much more important than the efficiency associated
with getting somewhere faster. And if you cant see the inherent
beauty in the slow gait of a frail elderly woman, you are more blind
than the man cautiously finding his way across the road with a white
stick.
What is really ironic is that in communities with higher density the
automobile model fails and causes the inefficiencies and congestion
that foster your frustration as a motorist. The leaders in the best
cities in the world understand that they must enact policy that will
discourage people from bringing cars into their central business
districts because minimizing car use in those areas actually
facilitates the movement of people. And more movement of people means
more business. These visionary leaders get a lot of pushback from
those who are thoroughly brainwashed and unimaginative and who resent
the notion of actually having to be thoughtful about their
transportation decisions. Miami Beach is a great example of a City
that would benefit economically from good, efficient transit
connections from the mainland. Lots of us dont go there precisely
because the traffic congestion is so bad and no alternative is
provided.
What we commonly call roads are actually rights-of-way - part of the
public commonwealth reserved for freedom of movement - a basic
necessity in the pursuit of happiness. That they have been so
overwhelmingly conscripted by a single mode is a real tragedy for our
communities.
As someone who lost a sister as a pedestrian victim, your post is
particularly offensive and pitiful. I hope it is a failed attempt at
humor.

***
I still think it's satire meant to bring about change. But I may be
wrong.

If the tourists stay away they will have to change:

Steven says:
I was planning a trip to Miami with my family but now maybe I will
think again. I do not want to go to a place and spend my hard earned
dollars where I have to fear for my kids lives when simply crossing
the street. Maybe I should take my family elsewhere, somewhere where
the basic rights of a person are respected, not someplace where
pedestrians are treated like mushrooms in Mario cart. Thanks for the
heads up Miami tourism site.

Please, why are you guys cross-posting this stuff to uk.transport.london???

Old October 29th 12, 06:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-10-29, Recliner wrote:
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"

snip loads of pointless rubbish
Please, why are you guys cross-posting this stuff to
uk.transport.london???

Because all they are interested in is getting some attention, and
they'll never see your question, nor answer it if they did. In any case
you should not have left all their stuff in your post, that way you are
helping them be noticed.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry