London Banter

-   -   Skyfall (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13288-skyfall.html)

[email protected] November 6th 12 09:43 AM

Skyfall

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest Bond
film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used for
anything else these days other than filming?

B2003

[email protected] November 6th 12 12:57 PM

Skyfall

In article , d ()
wrote:

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest
Bond film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used
for anything else these days other than filming?

Don't they reverse trains there sometimes?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 6th 12 01:54 PM

Skyfall

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 07:57:21 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest
Bond film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used
for anything else these days other than filming?

Don't they reverse trains there sometimes?

Don't know. But it makes sense if there's a problem further down. Don't
understand why they couldn't keep the platforms operational. It would have
cost buttons compared to the price of the JLE as a whole.

B2003

Peter CS November 6th 12 04:48 PM

Skyfall

d wrote in :

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 07:57:21 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the
latest Bond film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those
platforms used for anything else these days other than filming?

Don't they reverse trains there sometimes?

Don't know. But it makes sense if there's a problem further down.
Don't understand why they couldn't keep the platforms operational. It
would have cost buttons compared to the price of the JLE as a whole.

I think they were down to their last button paying for the JLE. I believe
the reason given at the time was that the escalators needed heavy work and
the cost of fixing them wasn't justified for occasional use.

Presumably maintaining track and platforms in a state suitable for
passengers is also an ongoing cost which they could save in favour of other
more rewarding projects.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |

[email protected] November 7th 12 09:07 AM

Skyfall

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
Peter CS wrote:
Don't know. But it makes sense if there's a problem further down.
Don't understand why they couldn't keep the platforms operational. It
would have cost buttons compared to the price of the JLE as a whole.

I think they were down to their last button paying for the JLE. I believe

Well certainly the constant vandalism of newly installed equipment by
contractors so they could be paid to fix them didn't help. Why no one was
ever done for that god knows.

the reason given at the time was that the escalators needed heavy work and
the cost of fixing them wasn't justified for occasional use.

Well they'd have ordered a load of new escalators for the JLE anyway. They
could easily have added another couple on top. And how much does an escalator
cost compared to building entirely new stations?

Presumably maintaining track and platforms in a state suitable for
passengers is also an ongoing cost which they could save in favour of other
more rewarding projects.

If they're stabling trains there then they must be maintaining the track
to a certain level anyway but I take your point about the rest of the
station. Though a branch line to charing-x would have been quite useful IMO.

B2003

Mike Bristow November 7th 12 11:52 AM

Skyfall

In article ,
d wrote:
If they're stabling trains there then they must be maintaining the track
to a certain level anyway but I take your point about the rest of the
station. Though a branch line to charing-x would have been quite useful IMO.

Not at the cost of a reduced service to Stratford, IMO: and that's
what would happen. Every train you turn round at Charing X wouldn't
go to points east.

--
Mike Bristow

John Ray[_4_] November 7th 12 12:37 PM

Skyfall

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:43:18 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest Bond
film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used for
anything else these days other than filming?

It appeared to have been renamed Temple for the filming, but it
certainly wasn't District or Circle line stock being used.
--
John Ray

[email protected] November 7th 12 12:55 PM

Skyfall

wrote:

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest Bond
film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used for
anything else these days other than filming?

It appeared to have been renamed Temple for the filming, but it
certainly wasn't District or Circle line stock being used.

Yes, i noticed that. I wonder why they didn't just call it Charing Cross?
After all, its only a few hundred metres from temple. It would have made
no difference to the story.

B2003

[email protected] November 7th 12 12:59 PM

Skyfall

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 12:52:24 +0000
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
d wrote:
If they're stabling trains there then they must be maintaining the track
to a certain level anyway but I take your point about the rest of the
station. Though a branch line to charing-x would have been quite useful IMO.

Not at the cost of a reduced service to Stratford, IMO: and that's
what would happen. Every train you turn round at Charing X wouldn't
go to points east.

I suspect the majority of people going southeast from the stanmore end are
heading into the west end or city so will have got off before the JLE anyway.
It would only need to be 1 train every 10 minutes or so to Charing X to be
useful and for every one of those you turn a westbound one from stratford
early. They manage a far more complex service on other lines.

B2003

Mike Bristow November 7th 12 03:31 PM

Skyfall

In article ,
d wrote:
I suspect the majority of people going southeast from the stanmore end are
heading into the west end or city so will have got off before the JLE anyway.
It would only need to be 1 train every 10 minutes or so to Charing X to be
useful and for every one of those you turn a westbound one from stratford
early.

Where?

They manage a far more complex service on other lines.

True; but I'm not arguing it's impossible. I'm arguing it would lead to
a worse service overall.

--
Mike Bristow