Old November 6th 12, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Skyfall

I see Charing Cross jubilee platforms got a nice workout in the latest Bond
film. LU must've earned a few quid there. Are those platforms used for
anything else these days other than filming?

B2003

Old November 7th 12, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
Peter CS wrote:
Don't know. But it makes sense if there's a problem further down.
Don't understand why they couldn't keep the platforms operational. It
would have cost buttons compared to the price of the JLE as a whole.

I think they were down to their last button paying for the JLE. I believe

Well certainly the constant vandalism of newly installed equipment by
contractors so they could be paid to fix them didn't help. Why no one was
ever done for that god knows.

the reason given at the time was that the escalators needed heavy work and
the cost of fixing them wasn't justified for occasional use.

Well they'd have ordered a load of new escalators for the JLE anyway. They
could easily have added another couple on top. And how much does an escalator
cost compared to building entirely new stations?

Presumably maintaining track and platforms in a state suitable for
passengers is also an ongoing cost which they could save in favour of other
more rewarding projects.

If they're stabling trains there then they must be maintaining the track
to a certain level anyway but I take your point about the rest of the
station. Though a branch line to charing-x would have been quite useful IMO.

B2003