Old November 7th 12, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London bus and Tube fares go up 4.2% from January

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20234125

Quote:

Fares across London's transport network will go up by 4.2% from
January, mayor Boris Johnson has announced.

The rise means a single bus fare on Oyster pay-as-you-go will be
£1.40, up by 5p, while a zone 1 Tube journey will cost £2.10, an
increase of 10p.

The increase, described by the mayor as "balanced", is 1% above the
Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation, similar to the increase seen in
train fares.

Cycle hire cost also doubled with an annual membership rising to £90.

In October, the government announced that from January the average
fares on mainline trains will rise by 4.2% rather than 6.2%.

The RPI plus 1% formula used for mainline trains is also expected to
apply for London's transport network for the next two years.

-- End quote

So Boris Bike users see a much larger increase than LU and bus users
-- is the Barclays sponsorship being cut?

Old November 7th 12, 04:17 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 11:40:34 +0000, Recliner
wrote:

From

[...]

[x posted to uk.railway]

The full detail of the fares revision, but not the cycle hire changes,
is in the Mayoral Decision document.

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defau...d)%20PDF. pdf

The TfL press release confirms that, after a long period of silence,
that PAYG is to be extended outside Greater London to Shenfield and
Broxbourne. This delivers the Greater Anglia franchise commitment. I
imagine that the DfT did this through gritted teeth given their
refusal to extend Oyster to other places.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/26143.aspx

Interestingly the above PR only refers to Broxbourne as the limit of
the West Anglia PAYG scheme. When the GA franchise award was
announced the PAYG scheme was going to run to Hertford East (see
below). I wonder what the true position is?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/static/corpora...ive/21387.html

The only other interesting aspect of the fares revision is the
re-emergence of a price difference between One Day Travelcards and the
daily cap. Daily caps are capped at 2012 levels whereas paper one day
tickets are increased. Apparently this is to "reflect the increaased
costs of issuing paper tickets". I wonder whether this is a pointer
as to possible conclusions in the DfT fares review and a desire to
push ITSO standard smartcards.

I don't particularly understand why the cycle hire scheme charges are
going up quite so much. There wasn't an increase last year plus the
scheme area (and therefore costs) has increased and will increase
again next year. Lots of people are referring to the Barclays
sponsorship issue but it was never going to be the case that Barclays
contributed and kept contributing to expand the scheme. The scheme
sucks up public money and TfL admitted a few months back that it had
no idea as to when the scheme would break even. Expansion to new
boroughs only happens if the boroughs in question fork out millions of
pounds as a contribution.

--
Paul C
As every local authority is strapped for cash, how likely are they to pay
Old November 7th 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 15:06, Paul Corfield wrote:

I don't particularly understand why the cycle hire scheme charges are
going up quite so much. There wasn't an increase last year plus the
scheme area (and therefore costs) has increased and will increase
again next year. Lots of people are referring to the Barclays
sponsorship issue but it was never going to be the case that Barclays
contributed and kept contributing to expand the scheme. The scheme
sucks up public money and TfL admitted a few months back that it had
no idea as to when the scheme would break even. Expansion to new
boroughs only happens if the boroughs in question fork out millions of
pounds as a contribution.

There was some fuss a while back about Boris Bike usage being dominated
by the kind of people who are found in central London, need to get
around that area and who are able to use conventional bikes. Apparently
this was seen as a Bad Thing by some people. Perhaps such transport
users are seen as being low down the food chain, and able to be charged
more without too much outrage?

Plus they are cyclists, and 110% of cyclists blah rant rant blah rant
rant rant blah (cont'd letters page of any local newspaper).

As for the fares, I'm intrigued by this:
http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defau...d)%20PDF. pdf

They apparently consider the impact of fares on the "LGB community". Do
people with G-scale model railways in their gardens really make much
difference...?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 7th 12, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at
18:30:09 on Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
There was some fuss a while back about Boris Bike usage being dominated
by the kind of people who are found in central London, need to get
around that area and who are able to use conventional bikes.

I've never stumbled over a Boris-Bike rank on my various recent trips to
London[1], nor of course would I impose a bike on my fellow travellers
on the train to London.

[1] Whereas I did see evidence of a similar initiative in Brussels.
Old November 7th 12, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 19:16, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
18:30:09 on Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
There was some fuss a while back about Boris Bike usage being
dominated by the kind of people who are found in central London, need
to get around that area and who are able to use conventional bikes.

I've never stumbled over a Boris-Bike rank on my various recent trips to
London[1], nor of course would I impose a bike on my fellow travellers
on the train to London.

Official (TfL) live map of docking stations (with availability):
https://web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk/maps

Unofficial live map:
http://cyclehire.eu/main/

PDF map of current docking station locations:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/roadusers/cycle-hire-phase-2-map.pdf

Old November 7th 12, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 19:16, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
18:30:09 on Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
There was some fuss a while back about Boris Bike usage being
dominated by the kind of people who are found in central London, need
to get around that area and who are able to use conventional bikes.

I've never stumbled over a Boris-Bike rank on my various recent trips to
London[1],

They aren't always particularly easy to find without a (online-)map,
especially near stations. As well as the problems of physically locating
them somewhere where people won't literally stumble over them, I assume
this is at least partly a legacy of the attempt to discourage the idea
of them being for daily London Terminal - office - London Terminal commutes.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 7th 12, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 19:49, Paul Corfield wrote:

Clearly the big gripe is that ever increasing fares become
progressively more unaffordable for people on low or fixed incomes and
that the Mayor hasn't done anything about it. I doubt this assessment
will stave off all the questions given the typical reaction from
various quarters today. However it does get the Mayor off the hook of
not having done the assessment at all.

Although a fair number of people on low or fixed incomes don't directly
pay the fares (eg pensioners) or might not travel as much (would there
be much point in an non-working person travelling in the morning peak
every weekday?).

A few weeks ago I got a bus somewhere in darkest Sussex. It was much
more expensive than a London bus, but only one other passenger actually
paid a fare.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 7th 12, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 20:03, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 07/11/2012 19:49, Paul Corfield wrote:

Clearly the big gripe is that ever increasing fares become
progressively more unaffordable for people on low or fixed incomes and
that the Mayor hasn't done anything about it. I doubt this assessment
will stave off all the questions given the typical reaction from
various quarters today. However it does get the Mayor off the hook of
not having done the assessment at all.

Although a fair number of people on low or fixed incomes don't directly
pay the fares (eg pensioners) or might not travel as much (would there
be much point in an non-working person travelling in the morning peak
every weekday?).

Though people on low incomes aren't necessarily non-working - I
appreciate you allowed for that, but nonetheless it's worth emphasising
anyway. I overheard a conversation on the train the other day where the
two participants seemed to wildly overestimate the pay of those in lower
income brackets. (I await a Figgis demolition of my fussy sentence!)

A few weeks ago I got a bus somewhere in darkest Sussex. It was much
more expensive than a London bus, but only one other passenger actually
paid a fare.

One of the negative outcomes of the ENCTS (aka the older folks freebie
bus pass) seems to have been bus operators pushing up single fares, as
(AIUI) their recompense for ENCTS users is based on a percentage of said
fares.
Old November 7th 12, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I've never stumbled over a Boris-Bike rank on my various recent trips to
London[1], nor of course would I impose a bike on my fellow travellers
on the train to London.

I've nearly stumbled over the odd cyclist though.

The place has gone mad - young eco warriors, cycling everywhere,
convinced they're saving the planet, though clearly not themselves for
a ripe old age.

If they don't end up under a bus the fumes, worthy of any a sixty a
day smoker, will get them first and you just know they're all non-
smokers (why?) as well.

Mad as a box of frogs, the lot of them, and surely absolute proof that
a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Old November 7th 12, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 07/11/2012 20:18, allantracy wrote:

The place has gone mad - young eco warriors, cycling everywhere,
convinced they're saving the planet, though clearly not themselves for
a ripe old age.

How do you they haven't just decided it is the best way of doing a
particular journey in a way which suits them?

I don't care about saving the whales, but a bike offers more frequent
departure opportunities than Southern.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK