Old November 18th 12, 09:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Ultimate signaling balls up at London Bridge

"D7666" wrote in message

Actually one of the *ultimate* signalling difficulties - if not the UK
all time ultimate difficulty - would occur about 1 km to the west of
London Bridge where it is possible to grid lock Borough Market
Junction triangle with three 12car trains in the wrong place ... the
layout is such that the rear of each one of the three trains obstructs
the route of another ... and it is not just the route is locked but
track unoccupied, it is the rear of the train is literally on the
tracks in front of another.

No longer possible. There is no pointwork at Borough Market Junction any
more - London Bridge platforms 4, 5, and 6 and the Up Passenger Loop only
lead to/from Metropolitan Junction (thence Charing Cross or Blackfriars)
while platforms 1, 2, and 3 only lead to Cannon Street.

Peter

Old November 18th 12, 09:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
"D7666" *wrote in message

Actually one of the *ultimate* signalling difficulties - if not the UK
all time ultimate difficulty - *would occur about 1 km to the west of
London Bridge where it is possible to grid lock Borough Market
Junction triangle with three 12car trains in the wrong place ... the
layout is such that the rear of each one of the three trains obstructs
the route of another ... and it is not just the route is locked but
track unoccupied, it is the rear of the train is literally on the
tracks in front of another.

No longer possible. There is no pointwork at Borough Market Junction any
more - London Bridge platforms 4, 5, and 6 and the Up Passenger Loop only
lead to/from Metropolitan Junction (thence Charing Cross or Blackfriars)
while platforms 1, 2, and 3 only lead to Cannon Street.

I admit to not studying the current layout ... but I am under the
impression it is still possible to create a gridlock somewhere around
there.

--
Nick
Old November 18th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 18, 10:39*pm, D7666 wrote:

No longer possible. There is no pointwork at Borough Market Junction any
more - London Bridge platforms 4, 5, and 6 and the Up Passenger Loop only
lead to/from Metropolitan Junction (thence Charing Cross or Blackfriars)
while platforms 1, 2, and 3 only lead to Cannon Street.

I admit to not studying the current layout ... but I am under the
impression it is still possible to create a gridlock somewhere around
there.

Cambria / Loughborough / CanterburyRd Jn.s ?

I'm sure its got something to do with ECS moves on one side of the
triangle, perhaps I was thinking of the west side of the Borough
market triangle which is ECS only instead of the west side of that
one, which is also ECS only, and both curves take 12car ECS (actually
the same ECS trains).

--
Nick
Old November 19th 12, 07:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 18, 10:51*pm, D7666 wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:39*pm, D7666 wrote:

No longer possible. There is no pointwork at Borough Market Junction any
more - London Bridge platforms 4, 5, and 6 and the Up Passenger Loop only
lead to/from Metropolitan Junction (thence Charing Cross or Blackfriars)
while platforms 1, 2, and 3 only lead to Cannon Street.

I admit to not studying the current layout ... but I am under the
impression it is still possible to create a gridlock somewhere around
there.

Cambria / Loughborough / CanterburyRd Jn.s ?

I'm sure its got something to do with ECS moves on one side of the
triangle, perhaps I was thinking of the west side of the Borough
market triangle which is ECS only instead of the west side of that
one, which is also ECS only, and both curves take 12car ECS (actually
the same ECS trains).

I'm still trawling the grey cells for this, I'm sure there is one in
the south eastern area and it involves ECS and/or 12car trains.

Borough Market is clearly wrong, not sure what brain glitch caused me
to write that.

--
Nick

Old November 19th 12, 07:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:
"D7666" *wrote in message

[...]

I'm tempted to suggest that gridlock is the routine state of the lines
around that part of the world every morning peak, but I know that's
not quite what you had in mind.

Robin
Old November 19th 12, 07:31 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 10:51 pm, D7666 wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:39 pm, D7666 wrote:

[...]

Streatham Junction South was the easiest place for a signaller to lock
themself up with the Vic to LB rounders via Wimbledon.