Old January 9th 13, 03:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default S7 Stock to Barking

Witnessed a new S7 stock in service terminate in the bay platform at
Barking yesterday evening, approx 22:30, seems they are finally
accepted to run the entire H&C line as opposed to just the interim
Hammersith - Moorgate shuttle.

Lots of oohs and aahs from the station staff and fellow pax - a
District driver was very impressed and said he can't wait until he
gets his go on one.

Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced
everything through Barking will be exclusivly of Bombardier erection;
c2c 357s, LO 172s and LU S stock.

Old January 9th 13, 08:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/01/2013 19:36, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message
,
P160AC1 writes

They've been running through for a few weeks now.

This District driver will be quite sad to see the end of C stock (and D
stock when it comes) as I rather enjoy driving them.

I have always heard C- and D-stock drivers say good things about them.

Old January 10th 13, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:40:25 -0800 (PST)
P160AC1 wrote:
Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced

Personally I think someone needs to open an enquiry over the money spent on
the recent refurb of the D stock given how much it cost and how little
value LU are going to get from it given that they're all going to go for
scrap in a few years. We all know how TfL love wasting money while claiming
poverty , but this really does take the ****.

B2003

Old January 10th 13, 09:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

P160AC1 wrote:
Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced

Personally I think someone needs to open an enquiry over the money spent on
the recent refurb of the D stock given how much it cost and how little
value LU are going to get from it given that they're all going to go for
scrap in a few years. We all know how TfL love wasting money while claiming
poverty , but this really does take the ****.

'Recent' refurb? It was quite a few years ago, and the D stock will be the
last to be replaced by the S stock.
Old January 10th 13, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

P160AC1 wrote:
Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced

Personally I think someone needs to open an enquiry over the money spent on
the recent refurb of the D stock given how much it cost and how little
value LU are going to get from it given that they're all going to go for
scrap in a few years. We all know how TfL love wasting money while claiming
poverty , but this really does take the ****.

'Recent' refurb? It was quite a few years ago, and the D stock will be the
last to be replaced by the S stock.

Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

B2003

Old January 10th 13, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
[D Stock referb]
Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

It started in 2005; the trains will start to be withdrawn in 2015
IIRC, so it was at around the 2/3rds mark of the stocks life, and
will be in service for a decade.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

--
Mike Bristow
Old January 10th 13, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
[D Stock referb]
Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

It started in 2005; the trains will start to be withdrawn in 2015
IIRC, so it was at around the 2/3rds mark of the stocks life, and
will be in service for a decade.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also, wasn't the D stock upgrade a relatively light one? They cut new
windows in the car ends, and replaced some surface materials, but the seats
stayed largely the same. And some work was certainly needed by then: the
trains were 25 years old, and looked it. They'll be around 35 years old
when they start to go, which is a respectable life, though not in the same
league as the venerable A stock.
Old January 10th 13, 11:15 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 9 Jan, 16:40, P160AC1 wrote:
Witnessed a new S7 stock in service terminate in the bay platform at
Barking yesterday evening, approx 22:30, seems they are finally
accepted to run the entire H&C line as opposed to just the interim
Hammersith - Moorgate shuttle.

Lots of oohs and aahs from the station staff and fellow pax - a
District driver was very impressed and said he can't wait until he
gets his go on one.

Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced
everything through Barking will be exclusivly of Bombardier erection;
c2c 357s, LO 172s and LU S stock.

Out to Barking is about the right length of trip for S7 stock.
Although I thought there were plans afoot to replace the H&C with an
Uxbridge to Barking Metropolitan Line service.
Old January 10th 13, 11:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:06:02 -0600
Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
[D Stock referb]
Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

It started in 2005; the trains will start to be withdrawn in 2015
IIRC, so it was at around the 2/3rds mark of the stocks life, and
will be in service for a decade.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also, wasn't the D stock upgrade a relatively light one? They cut new
windows in the car ends, and replaced some surface materials, but the seats
stayed largely the same. And some work was certainly needed by then: the

Nore than just that. They had a shed load of dot matrix displays installed
on the trains with the accompanying wiring and computers. That couldn't have
been cheap. Why do all that to a train you're going to scrap 10 years later?
Its an utter waste of money.

B2003

Old January 10th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:29:14 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:06:02 -0600
Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
[D Stock referb]
Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

It started in 2005; the trains will start to be withdrawn in 2015
IIRC, so it was at around the 2/3rds mark of the stocks life, and
will be in service for a decade.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also, wasn't the D stock upgrade a relatively light one? They cut new
windows in the car ends, and replaced some surface materials, but the seats
stayed largely the same. And some work was certainly needed by then: the

Nore than just that. They had a shed load of dot matrix displays installed
on the trains with the accompanying wiring and computers. That couldn't have
been cheap. Why do all that to a train you're going to scrap 10 years later?
Its an utter waste of money.

Yes, I'd forgotten about the new displays. I suppose, in retrospect,
they should have done the refurb a few years earlier, had they known
then about the S stock plans. But wasn't the refurb done as part of
the Metronet PPP, with this refurb probably written into the contract
back in 2003 or earlier? And, yes, the PPP was a huge waste of money.

But given where we are now, wouldn't you complain even more if the D
stock wasn't replaced by the S stock in 2016, but by some other new
design of sub-surface stock in 10-15 years time?